How do I install OS from ISO file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.mehoves

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to install OS from ISO file

No offense, but if you have to ask...its probably not a good idea to install a technical preview.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dealing with ISO files is what I would consider prerequisite knowledge.
If you have to ask, you should not install the preview. Period.
Why? Because there will be issues, and you won't be able to easily outsource it to us here. It requires a degree of computer knowledge and comfort. You might be screwing yourself over and for what? it doesn't even have the full consumer feature set.
I just nuked my PC and reinstalled 8. You should stay on it or your current OS until something more suitable for the general public comes along.

Abhishek P

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I have a laptop running 8.1
I just wanted to try out 10 on my desktop, which currently has 7

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
1. Create a new partition
2. Burn ISO to CD
3. Insert CD and restart
4. Make sure your cd drive has boot priority
5. Install to new partition
6. Reboot to HDD

squid729

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

from Windows 8.1: right click on file, mount ISO. run setup.exe. proceed! i removed most data but yes apps were retained and work correctly. i opted to uninstall a few things like antivirus and will reinstall. so far no hardware conflicts or issues. installed to a secondary desktop machine as the boot OS. from W7 you also would have the option - as long as your drive has enough capacity - to run W10 from another partition as a dual boot setup. as others have said unless you have some knowledge of these things and can troubleshoot, support yourself, then testing this software at this stage isn't advisable. during my testing of W7 and W8 there were no major issues, and with both was able to inplace upgrade to final version without reinstalling. wierdly, with a version of the start menu back, visually W10 feel an awful lot like W7, which i havent used for a few years, takes some getting used to again!

Last edited:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

1. Create a new partition
2. Burn ISO to CD
3. Insert CD and restart
4. Make sure your cd drive has boot priority
5. Install to new partition
6. Reboot to HDD

This. If you need any of this explained any further than please stop, because you can dig yourself into a hole you don't know how to get out of. Not saying that to be mean, just trying to save you.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

This. If you need any of this explained any further than please stop, because you can dig yourself into a hole you don't know how to get out of. Not saying that to be mean, just trying to save you.

Exactly. If you don't know how to partition correctly, I suggest stopping because you could accidentally remove boot manager and brick your entire computer. Would suck even more if you can't find your installation cd or can't get your hands on recovery image. Before doing the installation, just spend a few days reading online about it if you really want Win X preview.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just want to reiterate what other people are saying: if you have to ask how to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview from an ISO, you probably shouldn't be trying to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Woah guys, it sounds like this guy wants to keep his data. Burning the ISO and running it straight from a disk will make things more difficult.

The easiest way to keep your data is to do what squid729 said (mount the ISO and run setup.exe.) Although it didn't remove data for me like it did him, I had multiple games on my PC and I was still able to run them without modification after the upgrade.

saxamo

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Wow, What a bunch of crappy responses.. Not all.. People need to learn.. didn't you? In response to the OP, I would suggest that you take a look at programs like rufus to get what you need done. I strongly suggest that you download VMware and install that, look on google for vmware keys and take a look at that.. then once you install VMware you can install windows 10 into a virtual drive..

You can get windows 10 here: windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

You can get Vmware here along with a nice follow through on its installation: blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2014/10/try-windows-10-tech-preview-vmware-workstation-fusion-2.html

Please add the http to the links above.. :/ There are so many options out there for you to achieve this, but figuring it out on your own is the best way.. If you need further assistance please let me know and I will do what I can to help. Silly site does not allow posting links until you get to 10.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The safest way to go, IMO, is if you are running Windows 8, turn on Hyper-V. Use the Hyper-V manager to create a new virtual machine, mount the ISO, and install the preview in a virtual environment. If you are running a quad core PC with 8GB of ram (Which I am) it will run just fine. This way you don't have to worry about hosing your current machine.

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you want to try it out on you desktop then i can offer another option that would allow you to learn through the entire process

​1. Depending on the size of your hard drive, create a partition on it at least 80 GB or more. I would also recommend naming the existing and new partition so you can identify them during the installation process.
How to create a partition

2. After the partition has been created you now have a separate place to install the Windows 10 Tech Preview. Following the earlier instruction of burning the ISO to a dvd disk, you can run the installation of OS from the disk to install the OS from scratch, this will allow you to understand how to boot from a dvd drive and learning how your pc functions. The installation process is the same for Windows XP to Windows 10 and the setup walks you through
How to install from CD

3. Once installation is complete then you can fiddle around with Windows 10 and still boot back to Windows 7 as well if you are not happy with it. You can delete the Windows 10 partition if you make any mistakes and start all over again.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I strongly suggest that you download VMware and install that, look on google for vmware keys and take a look at that.

Talk about a crappy response... OP, do NOT do that. If you want to try to learn installing W10 from an ISO using a VM, get the VMWare Player. Which is free and doesn't require one to look on Google for product keys.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So, I downloaded the ISO file for W10 from torrents. How can I install it to my PC?
And wil it erase any data?

If you need to ask then you don't have the technical ability to do it. And who is stupid enough to download Win 10 from torrents??

Microsoft CLEARLY states that only technically competent people should be testing Win 10. You obviously aren't.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
And who is stupid enough to download Win 10 from torrents??

That's what I was thinking, except I would have said it a bit more diplomatically! :angel: Downloading Windows 10 TP from a torrent is a very bad idea, especially when it's freely available directly from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077