How do I stop Windows 10 from installing?

nez99

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting the notification that the latest Windows 10 is ready to install but I DONT WANT TO INSTALL IT. I've uninstalled Insider and preview for developers but I still get a notification every day telling me to upgrade and more scary it saying that it will install automatically in 3 days if I don't install it manually! I DONT WANT to install windows 10 on my Lumia 930 device! Help guys, how can I stop this from automatically installing???

nez99

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you for real?! I have to hard reset to avoid it forcing me to install a beta version of a windows OS?! :(

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the update is already downloaded, so the only way to get rid of it is to do a hard reset.

Don't believe me? Search around on the forums, this is the third or fourth time I've had to give this answer, sorry.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
hahahahahahahaha^^^^hahahahahahahaha

Only way, is to Hard Reset the device
LOL that's so messed up. I came here cause I was wondering the same. Oh well. It wont hurt if you dump your pics, backup everything and then reset. I'm going to do the same if it reaches the 19th and I haven't figured out a way to clear the partition with the os on it. Tweeting Gabe Aul about it now...

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, Windows Phone does a almost exact back up of your device anyway, as long as you haven't disabled all those settings. My dad got a second phone cause his second broke, and he restored this second device from his backup. It looked exactly the same, couldn't even tell it was a second device.

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Because there is no sd card in the 930, the easiest way to move your media is to plug the phone to your PC and drag and drop the relevant folders, the put them back in when you've restored the device. Factory resetting and restoring from a backup is a painless on windows phones, apart from re-signing into apps and websites.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Because there is no sd card in the 930, the easiest way to move your media is to plug the phone to your PC and drag and drop the relevant folders, the put them back in when you've restored the device. Factory resetting and restoring from a backup is a painless on windows phones, apart from re-signing into apps and websites.

This is so true. I've been very happy with the restore on Windows Phone.

By the way, regarding my earlier post... I didn't even have to tweet Gabe. He said you can defer but once its staged you need to reset to clear it so just in case anyone wondered, its from an official Microsoft source, that is the only way.

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
All you people saying how great the restore works must not have any apps or games that store data locally and don't support cloud saves.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
There's apps still like that?

I know there are, and those numbers are decreasing quickly, but it sucks when it happens. So that's why you don't put the preview onto a main device, as stated MULTIPLE times by MULTIPLE people in MULTIPLE places. Still sucks though, sorry.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even have to tweet Gabe. He said you can defer but once its staged you need to reset to clear it ...

Can you please clarify what this means? So if you do a hard reset the update won't reinstall once the phone is restored?

Personally I think I'm in even more trouble because I did the trick a few weeks ago to get Update 2 on my 930 (download Windows 10 preview, knowing that it would stop at 8.2 because the 930 was not yet provisioned for W10). Now the 930 actually can download the full W10 preview, and I keep getting the notice about it; and the only way to get back to 8.1 is with the recovery tool :(

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Correct, once downloaded the only way to prevent the installation is (1) change update settings and untick automatically download updates (2) do a back up (3) restore to factory settings (4) reinstall from the recent back up. You won't need the recovery tool and the update won't be waiting. After restoring from a back-up, you can also go to windows insider webpage and unsubscribe yourself from the program.

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't suppose anyway to avoid this has come to light yet. Used insider to get update two on my 930 but in the excitement of 10080 accidentally clicked install on it rather than my work 1520 ( d'oh :p). So its downloaded but not installed and given the experience on my 1520 with the build I really don't it on the 930 yet. Yep restore process isn't bad but its still a royal pain in the arse, especially reauthenticating every bleeping app despite clicking remember this device each time, remembering to redownload maps, audible books etc etc.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
After a hard reset you can but do not need to unsubscribe from the webpage. As long as you not download the app or better said startup the app.

If W10 is not downloaded yet because you unmarked the auto downloading works but be aware that you then also can not for example download a new keyboard or so.

So indeed there is no easy way out and a hard reset will be needed in the end.
(Or if GDR2 if official released use the recover tool)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)