how do i transfer file from PC to window 8 tablet with USB

bbranny

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
This might be a really noob question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

I just got the vivotab smart window 8 tablet and when i plug in the usb on the tablet and my PC nothing happens. I would expect some kind of window to pop up to ask do i want to transfer file or not. Nothing happens. I have no idea how to transfer file from my PC to my tablet.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Can't u share files over it WiFi network? Not sure if windows 8 supports that but I was able to share all my files from 2 laptops over WiFi before no wires needed

Buren06

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
You can share files over your local network, yes. Just make sure you enable sharing with other devices in your WiFi properties.

Kiwi Dave

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Don't listen to these other answers, ridiculous. All you need is OTG cable with usb to micro-usb. Between $3 and $5.

Hi Fleckman, I'm not sure you have understood the question. When using a cable to connect the tablet with a pc, the tablet isn't recognised (like a USB drive would be for example). Another plug isn't needed, the one that comes with the charger fits the micro usb on the tablet, and the full size usb on the computer - even though the cable fits, the tablet isn't recognised, unless I've missed something?

kd

Edward Mansfield

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually you do need a special OTG cable. A regular micro-USB cable such as the one that comes with the charger won't do it. USB cables are finicky about which end goes where (USB-A and USB-B) and the OTB cable enables you to 'reverse' the cable. It all has to do with which end is supplying the power - the 'master' end as it were. While charging it is the wall charger, but it needs to be switched for the Vivotab to recognize any USB devices.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
You are welcome. :)

I was able to connect 4 usb flash drives and use all of them at same time. Highly recommended item for all vivotab smart users

tmn0

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I create FPT Server (Fillezilla) froom PC, in Vivotab open File Explorer in bar type: fpt://xxx... copy 1Gb 5 minus

MarkAllett

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So, these hubs, if I were to connect the micro end into my Smart, then connect the power into one of the other full size ports, could I then use the other three usb ports whilst also charging my Smart? Or would it blow up?!

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Fleckman, I'm not sure you have understood the question. When using a cable to connect the tablet with a pc, the tablet isn't recognised (like a USB drive would be for example). Another plug isn't needed, the one that comes with the charger fits the micro usb on the tablet, and the full size usb on the computer - even though the cable fits, the tablet isn't recognised, unless I've missed something?

Your tablet is a full Windows PC, not a phone or some other device that would normally be connected to the PC via a USB port. Imagine taking a laptop and connecting a usb port on the laptop to a usb port on another laptop or desktop PC - the two devices wouldn't connect. Connecting the tablet to a PC via the usb port is the same deal.

So you need to connect your tablet to your PC like you would connect any two PCs together - via a network. If you have a home network with wireless, simply connect your tablet via wifi to the network and share the various locations with the network. If it's a Win 7 or 8 network, create a Homegroup for all your PCs (including your tablet) and certain locations will be shared automatically.

Chris White56

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I can't connect via homegroup, even using a USB cable. I get a message telling me that my edition of Windows doesn't allow me to share content. Windows has no information that I can find about what to do.

Any suggestions?

easwar

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
i have found one way. it might be useful. you connect both your PC and your tablet or two PC's or multiples of devices to a wifi network and then install IPmsgr (note:there are different versions for different version and bit of the OS) (where do i get this -> go search ipmsgr for (ur OS name and bit) ) u will find it. install it. drag all ur files to the msging dialogue box and select the device you would like to send and click send. done. this transfer happens fast depending on ur wifi router or you could use LAN cable in case if btw to PC's.

c933103

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
If you don't want to use network cable, wireless method, external storage or internet to move files, thete're still a few different ways you can move files from computer to windows tablet or vice versa.
If both your computer and your windows tablet support USB 3.0, then its newly added capability that allow connection of two host devices could facilitate such connection.
If it is not the case, then you cam use something called "briged USB cable", with something called bridge chip in the middle of the table to facilitate such transfer. Due to form factor of most of those bridged USB cables, you might also need an USB OTG plug for the cable to work.
Alternatively, if you want to transfer settings and etc., you can use something called EasyTransfer Cable, but that would not work for Win10 amd with limited support on Win 8.1. Some EasyTransfer cables might come with their own proprietary software to allow the cable be functional on these OSes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb