How do you do this in WP7?

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys and gals,

I'm new here and had my Samsung Focus for about a week. Really enjoying the WP7 experience. Discovering a bunch of stuff and am really getting into the WP7 UI. My buddy with Android asked me how do you organize your WP7 phone if you have, say, 150 apps. Do all 150 come up in alpha order, top to bottom, on that apps page to the right of the Start page? I realize the games will come up on the game tile, but suppose I had sports related apps I wanted to group together, and movie apps grouped together? Help and TIA!

Jim

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
All the apps appear in alphabetical order on the second screen, except for games. At this time, WP7 doesn't have folders. This sounds like a bad thing, but in practice it works surprisingly well.

Sent from my greenpois0ned iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

onemadrssn

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
my list is actually getting pretty link, and it's beginning to be just a bit annoying. i would like to create some sort of folder structure... emphasis on the "just a bit", i hardly mind the extra finger flick to get through the list.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Or "Run X" via the voice.

I wonder if when multitasking comes this function goes to the magnifying glass and press and hold the Windows key gets us our multitasking.

Anywhoo...I would like folders.

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
They need to do the same thing with apps the way they do contacts. Tap on the letter of the title of the app to jump right to it. This would keep things simple and continue to have the WP7 experience instead of making folders. Just a suggestion Microsoft.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

Reactions: Rich Edmonds

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been saying this since day one to have someone develop a Hub exactly like the xbox hub with my apps and have them auto organize by used most or change it to how you like it ..
I'm starting to wonder if this is not possable to create ..

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think Microsoft's intent was to have the user pin the frequently used apps to the Start menu (left screen) and nonfrequent apps you have to look for.

The leaked video from last week showed a search button to left of the list which would make it quicker to find apps.

I'm hoping they do Ivan's suggestion where you can tap the first letter to jump in the list.

Right now I don't have a ton of apps so it's not really hard to find something in the list.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
They need to do the same thing with apps the way they do contacts. Tap on the letter of the title of the app to jump right to it. This would keep things simple and continue to have the WP7 experience instead of making folders. Just a suggestion Microsoft.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

I personally don't mind much at all yet. I have found that I have just been pinning more apps to the Start Screen. I can see how it could get annoying for some though. What one should be able to do is just ininstall the apps that are less useful, such as the AT&T defaults. (We should consider ourselves lucky that we have this option. I'm not sure about the other carriers allow this, especially with other OSes.) Reinstalling should not be a problem. I feel that something similar to what is done with contacts or with music selection would be one of the best ways to implement a "search" without adding folders. I feel that scrolling through the whole list gives me a chance to be reminded of some of the older apps I have that I may not use as often.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the responses!

Ivan006, I agree with you, handle it just like contacts, scroll a - z if you want, or press the letter when you go to the alphabet map

BurnEthanol and others, question #2, how do you uninstall an app? especially those AT&T ones?

TIA again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb