How is the screen?

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Its not pentile correct? I thought the 800 screen looked pretty bad, does this one look more clear? No scanlines that pentile has, how is the brightness?

This phone in white looks so awesome!

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
No, its not pentile. I think it looks fine, definitely not as crisp as the iPhone 4S but I like having the larger screen, I also had the Lumia 800 and never had any issues with that.

I think the screen looks great, especially with the clear black technology. Definitely plenty bright enough.

I'd say if you are concerned why not go to AT&T and check one out yourself?

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 900 uses an RGB Matrix AMOLED, so it's not pentile. Equivalent (basically) to an SAMOLED Plus screen, although the ClearBlack makes it better in bright light situations by reducing and reflecting glare away from the screen.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
So long as you discount the purple tint issue, the screen is one of the few inarguable strengths of the device. It just looks awesome.

Mes3

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I was gonna say the worst part about the screen is the over saturated colors. But since you're rocking a Galaxy, you won't notice. I returned my Lumia for this exact reason. Here's hoping HTC puts out a smaller SLCD2 equiped device when Apollo rolls out. Titan is too big.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I felt the Focus screen was oversaturated. But the N900 looks just right to me. Bright and vibrant, but not too much.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I was gonna say the worst part about the screen is the over saturated colors. But since you're rocking a Galaxy, you won't notice. I returned my Lumia for this exact reason. Here's hoping HTC puts out a smaller SLCD2 equiped device when Apollo rolls out. Titan is too big.

I thought the Titan and the L900 were pretty much the same dimensions? At least close enough to not really matter.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This is my first Super AMOLED screen, but one thing that I noticed are whites are really dim on this. I'm attributing this to the ClearBlack technology, not sure if it's a Super AMOLED thing. That said, the contrast is still striking making the dim whites pop still if that makes sense. It's pretty amazing using this thing in direct sunlight too.
From my experience, comparing it to the iPhone4S screen (which, imo, has a grayish haze on it all the time), the screen on this just pops. I think in some reviews they describe the tiles as almost floating in appearance, and I know in one other review, they said it looked like the tiles were literally printed on the glass similar to how magazines look. I know I haven't gotten tired of just staring at the screen.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This is my first Super AMOLED screen, but one thing that I noticed are whites are really dim on this. I'm attributing this to the ClearBlack technology, not sure if it's a Super AMOLED thing. That said, the contrast is still striking making the dim whites pop still if that makes sense. It's pretty amazing using this thing in direct sunlight too.
From my experience, comparing it to the iPhone4S screen (which, imo, has a grayish haze on it all the time), the screen on this just pops. I think in some reviews they describe the tiles as almost floating in appearance, and I know in one other review, they said it looked like the tiles were literally printed on the glass similar to how magazines look. I know I haven't gotten tired of just staring at the screen.

The dimmer whites are a AMOLED thing, not Clear Black. AMOLED gives you much darker blacks and more vivid colors across the spectrum, but the whites are not quite as bright as the old school LCD screens. Clear Black is a type of polarization which reduces reflection of ambient light, sunlight off the screen and back to your eyes, it works sort of the way polarizing sunglasses work to cut glare. Basically sunlight and glare can hit the screen, but they are redirected so they don't reflect back to your eyes so you don't see them, you only see the light you want to see, the light emanating from the screen itself. It's actually really clever.

Mes3

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought the Titan and the L900 were pretty much the same dimensions? At least close enough to not really matter.

The screen is too big. The 800x480 res isn't good enough for a 4.7in screen. I think you're right about the overall dimensions.

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The screen quality on the Lumia 900 is great. Even though it doesn't have the pixel density of the iPhone 4s (which makes text look great) the Clear Black technology makes the overall display look great and video really pop. You know how Samsung HD TV's look great because their screens are so black and have high contrast? To me the Lumia looks kind of like that, a deep black background with beautiful video. Watching a podcast looks like you're watching a little HD TV.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The dimmer whites are a AMOLED thing, not Clear Black. AMOLED gives you much darker blacks and more vivid colors across the spectrum, but the whites are not quite as bright as the old school LCD screens. Clear Black is a type of polarization which reduces reflection of ambient light, sunlight off the screen and back to your eyes, it works sort of the way polarizing sunglasses work to cut glare. Basically sunlight and glare can hit the screen, but they are redirected so they don't reflect back to your eyes so you don't see them, you only see the light you want to see, the light emanating from the screen itself. It's actually really clever.

Ah, that's what I figured as well, but just wasn't really certain about it, thanks for the clarification. Wish they put better oil repelling glass. My 2nd Lumia was weird, it was like it was oleophobic. When I would clean it with cleaning solution, the moisture would form drops on the glass. On my 1st and 3rd Lumia (non green dot; 2nd was green dot), they just smear on the glass and leave a residue. 2nd lumia has weird concaving though which I could see when I held it at angles.

danwc

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Would be nice if they fixed thr lack of oleophobic coating, or the inconsistency of it from phone to phone. I have my 3d lumia. My first two (a launch cyan and then a white) seemed to have some oleophobic coating on them, but then they HD other issues. This third cyan phone...a used MS employee phone I bought off eBay (could tell from box), that is flawless performance wise, has no oleophobic ness to the screen. I've been trying to figure if it's had as replacement screen or what. The rqisd lip around the screen feels different than te other two. It is not the thin, sharp, flexible metal that my other two were.it has some dents in it, but they retained the black color, aren't shiny silver like the dents I got on my others.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb