How Long to Hold On

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
So mentioned in other post, I came to Windows Phone after Blackberry turned Android. Had an original Droid for a bit but was short lived when it became clear what Google was really doing to Privacy, so broke out the Blackberry again for another few years. So had an 830, 521, and now the 950 XL. Wife was using a 925 then a 950, but just switched her to an iPhone. Not extremely impressed, but they are fast and as advertised, they just work. So my question for everyone, and many threads on this same topic sort of address it, but at what point would you surrender to the device gap? It is coming at this pace, Apple isn't an innovator, but they are good at implementing popular tech (okay 3d face might not count yet, but Hello on 950XL wasn't useful at launch either to be fair)
Seeing a slow trend of UWP creep into the Store, bigger names are starting to play, like fitbit. But app gap is not a major concern anyways. But at what point do the lack of new devices and technology trailing behind reach the point of moving on? Ward has mentioned how W10M users are really neglected by Microsoft on information. If they announce something to surprise us this coming month in the ultramobile with cellular field they are creating, I am staying, even if a year out. How long being left in the dark though is long enough?

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
So, comparing the wife's recent 950 replacement iPhone there are some things I noted pro and con.

What I like:
First it is fast, browsing, it crushes the 950XL.

The apps support is clear as many of the available on both are much more refined on iOS. Apps that I need are on both, works, not as pretty but still there and I can handle that.

Microsoft has amazing support and functionality on iOS, you can replace almost everything iCloud with Microsoft.

Comparable battery life.

Fingerprint unlock is instant.

ApplePay and Paypal POS hardware available

Facetime makes Skype look like dialup versus broadband. Clear, good sound, and well executed communication. Nothing like BBM in either case but best of those two.

Unix at the core, or Apple BSD, and as someone who started on Linux that is reassuring and explains the smooth operation.

What I don't like:
Siri, not even in the same category as Cortana, no way to change a press and hold though, Siri has a racket on that button.

No changing default apps, Firefox installed, Safari still launches. No options, didn't IE get anti-trusted out of doing this?

App management options, all on the main screen. App drawer or something? Sure you can folder it but that is just messy.

Qi charging? Sure you can get it for $1000 in a few weeks...

Iris scan/fingerprint... Hello.

It's an iPhone it runs a UNIX OS for all intents and purposes... Let users customize it a bit. The iOS UI is just plain, blah, while responsive it makes it difficult to navigate because it is so uniformly boring to look at.

I want to like it, but I am not there yet, sure Microsoft featured the iPhone now in their events, so maybe if we get stiffed again it would be an option. My wife is sold, hard pill to swallow at this point for me as a Blackberry convert. If Redmond doesn't make a move soon, I will probably be stuck moving over when the XL final gives up the ghost. Anyone else looked/tried the change? If we do get a Surface "Phone" and it is in the iPhone price range then it's a non topic.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Everyone knows Windows 10 Mobile is dead, myself included. However, I don't want to be forced to buy a phone just for the sake of fitting in with the crowd. With smartphones now approaching $1000 for the latest one (e.g. iPhone X or Samsung Note 8), I cannot justify that, just because someone else said the phone I have now is dead (950XL).

It's all up to our own opinion and needs for the device. Sure, the iPhone X has some cool new technology, but how many of the people who buy an iPhone X, Note 8, iPhone 8 etc. are going to use them past browsing Facebook or playing games all the time, like they do with their current and (much) cheaper phone?

Probably not that many.

Others may feel differently of course. But my phone, for me, isn't my life. I don't need all the latest and greatest apps (most of which you just install and then forget about - making it not worth the effort). I just need something that works and allows me to be productive. And I am far more productive on Windows phone then iPhone, Android and BlackBerry that I tried in the past.

But that's just me. I really hope Microsoft has some sort of mobile device in the pipeline too. So I will continue to wait out this storm. But if others who are still with Windows 10 Mobile see a better future for them and their mobile needs with Android or iPhone then go for it. Nobody is forcing anyone to stick with Windows phone.

At the end of the day, choose what makes you happy - for me, that's currently Windows phone.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
There's reboot around the corner and current crop will definitely be left behind, irrespective of what some say, W10M is dead for me, I'm still rocking a Lumia730 but wont recommend a Windows phone to anyone.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
As I mentioned several times earlier I was thinking about switching recently too, but then I realized I don't know what would I do if I spent another 300-500€ on a smartphone that would do everything my 950 does except it would have the app for mobile banking that I could use. I came to conclusion that none of the alternative platform interests me enough to spend a few hundred euros on another flagship or mid-range phone. I will hold on to my 950 as long as the apps that I regularly use are updated or before it stops working - I have some issues with microphone even though I don't recall dropping the phone for a very long time.

My advice to you would be - don't switch as long as your phone is capable to suit your needs. If it can't do that right now, then you should probably switch as soon as possible, but otherwise with current prices on flagship phones I would definitely wait.

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on your use scenario. It isn't like the apps on your W10M won't be usable on whatever comes next (well the REALLY old Silverlight WP7 apps won't be, but other than those). I have a 950 and see no need to "let go." It does everything I need, is quick, has a great camera, and lasts all day. to each their own I guess.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Realized that some apps get "updated" before making them useless... with a message saying it's no longer supported. So you may not necessarily be able to continue using those apps. Example wechat...

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
With most of you on that, I plan to hold onto the 950XL as the apps I use are supported, halfheartedly in some but still do what I need. So the wife's comments so far on the change though are mostly, it feels like a good device compared to the Lumia 950. Can't argue, coming from a Blackberry Classic (9800 before) to an all plastic device felt cheap at first. That and she has a lot more apps of interest that I don't (Shutterfly, Pinterest as example). She is not a heavy computer users either so her Dell 2-1 is now being voted off the island as well for an iPad Pro. It makes sense for this situation, as a full computer is not really needed.

I'll continue to cling to my 950XL and Surface Pro, and the latter is not going to get replaced by iAnything.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
"How long"? Dude, just buy whatever phone you like using, if you're thinking about changing your phone you clearly don't like or enjoy Windows 10 mobile that much. Just be free and do whatever you feel. Those who like me truly like using their W10M phone will keep using it. It's that simple.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm be keeping my 950XL until all three scenarios happens :-

When the battery dies, and I cant find a replacement

When Continuum doesn't work anymore with the hub, a mouse, a keyboard & my 48in TV!!

When the camera dies.

... !

Last edited:

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I am sticking with the 950 XL currently for those reasons, Power Point from the 950 XL for presentations is a huge sticking point. The dock is a great concept they need to push more.

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
As long as I can continue to use my 950xl, there is no reason to leave Windows 10 mobile. That being said, bought myself a Jelly Phone running Android Nougat as a backup. If that phone is usable considering it's form factor limitations, I may consider the Nokia 8/9 later on but that's if Microsoft continues to keep Windows Phone hold outs in the dark through out next year. I want them to take their time on developing the Surface Phone and getting it right, but a successor to the 950 series running the final version of Windows 10 mobile would be nice and very much appreciated.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch over the weekend. My first smartphone was a Blackberry and had it until they basically went belly up. Moved to Windows Phone 7 with a 928 and when the screen cracked moved to a 735. It just got so slow, wasn't getting notifications, and there were a couple of apps I needed for work that Win10M didn't have. Tired of dealing with it. Got an iPhone 8 Plus and it is so fast and there are quite a few apps that I want but couldn't get on Windows. I have an iPad so the change was fairly easy, and I distrust Google so no Android for me.

I miss the ability to customize my start screen, dark theme, and Cortana reading my texts automatically when in the car..not much else.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
, u don't have to buy a $1000 phone u have options u can buy unlocked 100-400 phones. There's plenty of options

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte