How Much Do You Think the 950 & 950xl will Cost?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Too much and then they will ask themselves why they don't sell them.
Smart would be for the 950 about 500$ and for the xl 550-600$ (unlocked).

Smart and what the market dictates or will withstand are two different things, for me it will be interesting to see what MS does and it'll speak volumes as to the seriousness they are taking towards WP.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
People talking about low price or the devices won't sell need to realize a few things...

1. These phones won't sell well regardless.
2. Microsoft doesn't expect them to sell well.
3. These devices are targeting the few enthusiasts that will pay the price.

I'd guess the 950 & 950XL will be no less than $600 & $700, respectively.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
$550 and $650 is my guess.

In a perfect world, $350 and $450, which would be low enough for me to CONSIDER an off-contract 950 XL purchase. Otherwise, if AT&T doesn't get the XL on Next, I'll have to get that nasty non-XL and its asinine camera ring.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
way to go people, giving Microsoft aaaaaall the info it needs to suck all the money we want to spend!

how did you all fall for this trap?

OP i don't trust you, i will be watching you. :watchingyou:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think Microsoft's best shot at getting these phones out there is pricing them competitively. They're going to be more expensive than the OnePlus 2 but at the same time they're also going to have far more availability.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The only hope Microsoft has of making a bit of a splash is to build a very, very good phone and put the price low enough that people will buy it to get great specs at a affordable price. If they overprice it like they did with the 830 it will flop like the 830 did (even though it is a good phone). The 640 is a great phone for the amount of money they are asking for it. I bought one to replace my 820 as my main Windows phone. I looked at the 830 and decided it was not worth what they asked for it. I will be interested in these new phones; but only if the price is reasonable. Question is what is reasonable to me might not be reasonable to someone else. Doubt I would pay over 500$ for the 940 and then only if it was unlocked. I would be willing to get a AT&T/Cricket locked phone but would not pay over 400$ for it. I use Consumer Cellular/ Cricket for my two main phones.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
way to go people, giving Microsoft aaaaaall the info it needs to suck all the money we want to spend!

how did you all fall for this trap?

OP i don't trust you, i will be watching you. :watchingyou:

You say that like we're all giving a number based on what we think the phones are worth. I'm giving mine on the high side of what they're worth, not what I think is a good price. Running near-EoL chips and an incomplete OS, they SHOULD be $450 and below. Instead, I think Microsoft's going to pretend it's Apple and leave the prices high, scaring people away from a platform change.

Tom Raccoon

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
No, you are just pretending that the Lumia 950 and the bigger one specs are outdated, because you can't rate those phones too high (in other words, they're not outdated just because you say so, or because a mad Chinese OEM made an Android with 4GB of RAM). They will be outdated just when MS or another make a W10M with better specs. Just last week were released new Sony smartphones with SD810, and Qualcomm said that the new processor is several months ahead (despite being tested right now).

If somebody expect the ugly brothers to cost below $500, then somebody is probably wrong. Maybe the smaller one will cost $500, but I expect it to be near $700.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
People talking about low price or the devices won't sell need to realize a few things...

1. These phones won't sell well regardless.
2. Microsoft doesn't expect them to sell well.
3. These devices are targeting the few enthusiasts that will pay the price.

I'd guess the 950 & 950XL will be no less than $600 & $700, respectively.

If you are right in that they won't sell well, few enthusiasts wanting a flagship and MS mentality that they don't care/expect high sales then WP is in deep trouble. Can't see WP being relegated to only the "budget minded" so budget /low-spec'd phones is what it'll be, for me MS has made the future of the WP very uncertain and confusing with their constant changes and delays, if they keep heading down this narrow path then we'll never see a great presence in the mobile phone market, so if the 950/950XL are a fail (if they actually materialize) then there is only one entity to blame and it is not the consumer... No, one or two handsets aren't going to make or break it, but, it does matter what kind of splash it makes coming into the market as to whether it has a negative or positive impact.

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I am a huge MS fan, but frankly, i still havent seen the successor to the L1020 or my L1520.
If these 950's are it, then i will stay with my L1520, because it still looks brand new, it still feels brand new and it works like a brand new device.
Even if this 950XL would cost 350 USD i don't think i would buy it, but like everyone else i haven't seen them for real.

A Windows Mobile Surface device with a "6 screen and high end specs for about 700 to 800 USD i would buy in a heartbeat.

anon(9585872)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Well I think since there is fierce competition in the sub $400 price range, there will be trying to hit that price range. Already Microsoft has been having a tough time this past year so of they make it to expensive not many people will buy it. But I think once Windows 10 mobile comes out it should be a fierce phone. But you never know, they might seriously gauge us. Come on guys, the 950 XL has a snapdragon 810. I'm guessing around $500 to $600 dollars but I am hoping $400.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I am a huge MS fan, but frankly, i still havent seen the successor to the L1020 or my L1520.
If these 950's are it, then i will stay with my L1520, because it still looks brand new, it still feels brand new and it works like a brand new device.
Even if this 950XL would cost 350 USD i don't think i would buy it, but like everyone else i haven't seen them for real.

A Windows Mobile Surface device with a "6 screen and high end specs for about 700 to 800 USD i would buy in a heartbeat.
I so love the L1520 - best looking, best specced Lumia ever IMHO - but my pockets too small. 5-5.5" and I'd buy that and skip Cityman / Talkman.

(Actually, the looks of Cityman growing on me - especially the blue - but not Talkman - again the size issue! Argh)

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I really care about price if they don't get it "right" (for me). By right, I mean:

- definitively best camera (no debates, anybody running the test will see it is equal or better than any iPhone or Android in all conditions
- quick (I think 808 or 810 will be fine)
- good screen (1080p is all that is needed, more only better if battery / weight still good)
- great battery (always go through a day or more without any worries)
- weight - thin and light - doesn't have to be "thinnest and lightest" (I don't like those compromises), just thin and light (i.e. in the ballpark of current flagships)

I love WP10, app gap doesn't really bother me, but the hardware....just deliver me an "equal or better" on all fronts and I'll open the wallet wide. Skimp on anything and I'll pass, buy an L930 online.

(PS - I couldn't give a crap about continuum - I appreciate that some people will love this and that MSFT has done their market research, but I love my Surface and this adds nothing for me)

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
In my ideal scenario, they're starting at $400-449 and $500-549 respectively

I'd actually like to complicate things a bit to ask: What price would drive you away from either the 950 or the 950XL?

For me, over $500 for the 950 would kill it for me. Over $650 for the 950XL would be a dealbreaker for me also.

I simply can't comprehend either device commanding more than those prices given the expected specifications. The 950, in particular has very little wiggle room in price considering the really compelling values that exist with SD808 phones. There are multiple SD808 phones with prices at or around $400.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise