How much is Windows Phone alive, as of today?

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I had used Windows devices for many years, right up until it was no longer supported by Microsoft.

I still have 2 of my old phones, my beloved Lumia 820 and 830. They got damaged a couple of years ago; having no alternative WP devices available on the market at the time, I had to get an Android device, and then I didn't have a chance to check in on the Windows Phone ecosystem.

My Lumia 820 needs a new touchscreen&display and the 830 needs a new touchscreen. I wonder, how much use could I get from them if they were to be repaired.

820 was running Windows Phone 8.1, so I only expect it to be my backup phone, only having telephony features and maybe some old WP8.1 apps that somehow run today [here we have earthquake kits that include a basic phone, and a device with a micro-USB slot and some newer features would be better than an older phone].

830 was running Windows 10 Mobile, but I know that it won't run WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. Maybe I could use it as a reader? Could I somehow re-install some of my old epub reader apps from the store?

Can anyone here who still uses a Windows Phone tell me what's the current status of it?

Thanks.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
If your really interested is staying in the windows eco system, then i suggest getting another win phone instead of repairing your very out dated 820-830 phones... With that said im sure you can find a cheap HP X3 OR LUMIA 950.. I'M actually replying to you on my X3 phone Cuzz i just cant bring myself to stop using it. I luv windows phones too much, even typing is better... Try getting a nice X3...but that said be aware to bring either 2 phones if you relying on any apps as windows apps is just all dried up... But if your not app dependent then you got nothing to lose..

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I had used Windows devices for many years, right up until it was no longer supported by Microsoft.

I still have 2 of my old phones, my beloved Lumia 820 and 830. They got damaged a couple of years ago; having no alternative WP devices available on the market at the time, I had to get an Android device, and then I didn't have a chance to check in on the Windows Phone ecosystem.

My Lumia 820 needs a new touchscreen&display and the 830 needs a new touchscreen. I wonder, how much use could I get from them if they were to be repaired.

820 was running Windows Phone 8.1, so I only expect it to be my backup phone, only having telephony features and maybe some old WP8.1 apps that somehow run today [here we have earthquake kits that include a basic phone, and a device with a micro-USB slot and some newer features would be better than an older phone].

830 was running Windows 10 Mobile, but I know that it won't run WhatsApp, Facebook, etc. Maybe I could use it as a reader? Could I somehow re-install some of my old epub reader apps from the store?

Can anyone here who still uses a Windows Phone tell me what's the current status of it?

Thanks.
Hi there. FYI, I'm still using a 950 daily, happily and thankfully. I now have 4 angroid phones that I've prepped, and on which I've been learning the OS, etc., for when the day comes. I don't require the apps you require, list; and the few that I do, I have loaded on the angroids -Spotify, VLC, Amazon Music, soundhound, and gasbuddy are pretty much it. I haven't read on a phone since my Palm Treo Pro, which had maybe the earliest Windows mobile OS. Since then, I have only read on Kindle/Fire 7" tablets. (I also don't read on bigger tablets I own.) I just looked in the Microsoft Store and do see some free epub and PDF-reader apps, one called "freda epub ebook reader" has free and $1.99 versions -both have positive reviews, and a $4.99 one that claims to read Kindle, mobi, epub, etc.. I have never used any of these, but there certainly appear to be options. NB: I have not even tried to download and use a new app for many moons. I did just test-download the free freda, and it worked, but have nothing on my 950 to read/test. Good luck in your quest; I can only encourage you by reporting that in my 6th 950 Spring, I still have no reason to stop using my still-excellent 950.

evilkingteapot

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It was good while it lasted. I just switched to an iPhone today and I'm not really proud of it. I was using an x3 on Verizon and last night I dropped it and the screen cable ripped (it was a replacement that should have been re-taped/glued). I didn't feel like waiting another month and a half for a screen on the slow boat from China. I'm also on Verizon and I had noticed the phone was having trouble connecting for phone calls as Verizon starts to decommission CDMA sites around me. VoLTE was never implemented for the Verizon version. After switching back to my Icon this morning Verizon sent me a text that I needed to activate my old phone. It looks like they're tracking sim swaps now. When I went to activate it I was told that this phone was too old and no longer supported on the Verizon network. I'm using it until the iPhone is ready for pickup but lots of things have stopped working. The old version of Edge is now what I'd call "banned" from lots of websites. Rather then render incorrectly they just tell you that your browser is no longer supported. You can sometimes switch to desktop mode to get around it but that was getting old for me. I was never one for apps but once websites stopped supporting the browser that was the beginning of the end. The damaged screen was just the catalyst. I can't say I'm an Apple fan but I didn't want to deal with configuring Android to work the way I want - I'm getting to old for this. I wanted to be able to take pictures, read my email, and browse the web. And I'll stop getting those annoying *liked* "stupid text message here" notifications every time someone clicks a heart on my text message.

I really will miss my Windows phone - I've used it since Windows Mobile 5. I'm sad that a Windows on ARM implementation never made it to prime time on phones. Apple is doing the same thing *successfully* with their operating systems and the A12/A14/M1 chips but they do things slow and steady vs throwing the baby (and cut and paste) out with the bath water.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"I had to get an Android device"

Well, you didn't HAVE to go Android. You could have got an iPhone. I tried Android after giving up on WP 4 years ago. Android was a mess at that time. Maybe it is better now. IAC, I am very happy now with iOS.

"My Lumia 820 needs a new touchscreen&display and the 830 needs a new touchscreen. I wonder, how much use could I get from them if they were to be repaired."

Not enough use to justify repairing these 2 antiques, assuming you could even find the parts. You can do everything much better, faster and easier on a new phone, Android or iOS.

"Could I somehow re-install some of my old epub reader apps from the store?"

Maybe, depending on which reader you used. There is not much WP stuff left in the store, for obvious reasons.

"Can anyone here who still uses a Windows Phone tell me what's the current status of it?"

The current status is, it sucks more now than it ever did. And that is saying something. And it gets worse every day.

I sold my 950XL when it was still worth something. I still have a 920, an Icon and a 1520. They are basically paper weights at this point. When I want to really torture myself, I use them as incredibly clumsy MP3 players. That's about it.

I would never consider fixing any - or all - of them if they stopped working. They are simply relics of the past.

Frankly, I can't imagine trying to use a WP daily as my only phone. You might as well use a green screen IBM PC as your only computer.

omerfbingol

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I should make a couple of clarifications about my post.

1-I do not intend to use any WP device as my daily phone. I'm only considering them as worst-case emergency back-ups (only telephony could suffice, since here we use SIM cards and it's easy to change phones for a mobile subscription) or some side-rigs, e.g. maybe I'd turn 820 into a dashboard screen for my bike. It would be my music player and map for my trips. This means that I won't consider buying a new 950 or X3. A new device would have to be a daily rig and that's out of the question.

2-I like collecting electronics that I've used, so I can live with a dead OS as long as it has some apps (albeit legacy) still running that keeps the PHONE alive. Currently, they're just sitting idle at my storage container but keeping them alive (cycling their batteries, checking up on the apps now and then...) would be nice. Them having still-useful features such as e-reader, music player, etc. would be a big bonus of course.

Based on the replies I got, I think I should get pricing on the repairs and re-evaluate based on it.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using a 950/950XL as my daily device. I really have no clue when I'm going to move on to something else.

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to keep using my 950 XL...however, ATT has it listed as a 3G phone so I have no service since they are getting rid of 3G phones on their network. The kicker is, Feb. 2022 is when all 3G phones are not going to be supported. So why kill my service now?

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I want to keep using my 950 XL...however, ATT has it listed as a 3G phone so I have no service since they are getting rid of 3G phones on their network. The kicker is, Feb. 2022 is when all 3G phones are not going to be supported. So why kill my service now?

Att has a long list of devices that will still work after its phase-out. The 950 is included, along with many other greats, and there may very well be others: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ces-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf&token=x4d3o571

I just ordered a new battery for mine, as my third one was dying.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I still have a 929 with all color backs... on Verizon but, I moved on because of the lack of support. I did move to a Note 10+ but, I am using a Windows Mobile loader, Launcher 10.

Truth be told, OS wise you would never know it's a Android device. It has live tiles (extra money) and you can resize tiles and everything else. It is setup exactly like my 929 is/was.

I did pick up HP X3 on Verizon for cheap on eBay, I did buy one, and noticed the battery was extending on it. I checked on it, it was in warranty I called and they could not get any more, or parts for them. So they tried to sub a replacement device, long story short, they gave me a HP laptop that was selling, when I got it, on Amazon for $1700 in trade/replacement for it as they could not replace the phone. Laptop still works great and is fast, but, no interest in the X3 any more unless it's like $50..

I do boot up my 929 time to time to play some Xbox games I have for achievements I have missed but, it's the only use it really gets any more and it's not worth much so, I won't sell it for nothing so I will keep it.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm still using my Lumia 950 as my daily driver to this day.

For social media, I am frequently active with Twitter and Telegram. Official Twitter UWP app works well with Windows Phone despite lacking notification rings, just like in PC anyway. While there is official Telegram app, I much prefer to use Unigram. I also occasionally use Facebook and Instagram with SlimSocial and Winsta is my personal favourite third-party app respectively. For YouTube, myTube! is definitely my absolute favourite to date.

I also have a number of news-related apps that I installed or sideloaded on my Lumia including WC app itself.

Martin_Hofman

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
My Lumia950 is still working and laying on a Qi-wireless so is always on. No sim in it but wifi and I can read all my email and answers some. Have some tiles on the startscreen of web pages. Also I've the HD500 Continuum and discovered that is also working with my Surface Go.
I'm using now my 2e Android phone a OnePlus Nord with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage. Sometimes I really can't see how things works in Android. Now all my Bluetooth devices where gone and NFC was set of?! How? I really don't know?
Which I could set the latest W10 on the Lumia950 in a Mobile version.

mr_poobah

Mar 27, 2019
Visit site
Was using a Huawei P40 Pro and switched back to the old faithfull 950 XL, always nice and refreshing to go back to windows OS it is still so unique and love the design language, i carry an adroid "work tablet" with me so apps that i can't get to work etc is ran off that.

stock weather app works, along with News apps, VLC, Telegram, Spotify (unable to search, use another device and you can search/save there), Audible, Podcasted and a great player called Loco Delight, i even like the Maps app over rivals

i carry 2 phones daily for work, (my current workphone is a Blackberry Passport,) i will however be selling the Passport soon and switch my 950XL as my work device, i am contemplating and awaiting availability on the new Sony xperia 1 mk3 or the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra, mainly for camera and overall speed.

I do seem amazed that i can do 60% of what i need to do from this 5 years + phone and enjoy it

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
I'm still using a Blackberry Passport as my main phone too with a 950 on the side. Sure I have a couple of Android and iPhone waiting in the wings just in case, but I find neither of those 2 alternatives as pleasant.
The 950 still rolling along nicely for me especially since the browser can carry most of the load for most of what I need to do.

Looking for a 950XL or Elite X3 to supplement! Just don't want to spend a bundle on them, they seem to be creeping up in price these days.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
at one time, Microsoft was talking about releasing a Windows version of the Surface Duo. If so, maybe it will be announce soon. They are due to announce the next Surface Duo soon.

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The windows version of the Duo becamevthe Duo 1 - an Android phone. The Duo 2 (3, 4 etc.) will be Android as well. Forget about the Duo if you want windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)