How to access pictures/videos on a Windows Phone 10 through PC?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

For some weeks now on and off I've been trying to find a way to transfer my files from my full Lumia 650 to my PC. However the problem is that I can't seem to find any legitimate way to do this, which is rather surprising. For one, plugging the phone into the computer and using Explorer doesn't show any file in my Camera Roll folder, even though explorer says that the SD card is 95% full when I go to explore it, it's just empty. I also tried other file explorers like FreeCommander with same results. My second attempt was to use the Import Pictures and Videos app that comes with windows 10, this time it actually discovered all the files on the sd card and the phone but when I go to import, it just says device is unreachable. Third attempt was to import through the Pictures app as per microsoft's suggestion. This also discovered all my files but when I hit "Import" it just says something went wrong. So at my wits end here, I really can't believe that Microsoft doen't allow it's native phone OS to interact with desktop Windows OS, that's just silly. Do they want us to use OneDrive to transfer files now?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
For me, it's as easy as plugging in my phone. After entering my PIN on the phone, the PC detects all the (user accessible) files present on the phone.

Your situation suggests a problem with the cable.

Tim Akgayev

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it's the cable, based on the symptoms nothing suggests that. The folder structure is visible, they're just empty when viewed in explorer. The photo app also finds images/videos but fails to import them. I think it's got something to do with permissions but I was hoping to get a more straighforward answer.

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Are your photos backed up to OneDrive? If so you can view them in the photos app on your pc and then download them onto your hard drive. That's what i do. Or sync them by ticking the photos folder in OneDrive on pc.

Tim Akgayev

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
@SteveSAPA yes, that's what I'm doing now as I still can't find another way, however it's really annoying and I have to either upgrade my account or keep bringing in data in 5gb chunks, it's rather silly when everything is right there on my sd card.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried removing the SD card from the phone, and try reading the SD card from the computer if it has a SD card slot (if not, perhaps using a card reader).. at least eliminate the SD card as possible source of error.

... !!

Tim Akgayev

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
@raycpl I don't have an microSD slot so I can't try it, I wanted to mount it as mass storage through like an andoird or something but I only have two windows phones at hand. In any case I don't think it's the card though. I can browse it's structure just fine in the phone file manager, also I have photos on my internal phone storage and that is not accessible as well.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
1) Try a different USB port, it's silly but makes a difference. On my laptop If I plug in my phone it makes the chime but It never pops up in explorer. If I use another port it works fine.

2) Do you a soft reset and then plug in the phone

3) It might be a driver issue

4) Sometimes it is the cable or you may have a faulty connection on your phone that is usually caused by some cables being some what a few millimeter longer than the port on your phone. Hence why if you plug in some other cable they wobble abit, that basically you have stretched your port. You can easily fix that by either replacing the port on your phone, using the cable that widen the port and nothing else (personally don't recommend this as it causes further damage), opening up your phone and simple using tweezers to narrow the port.

5) Use bluetooth to sync and use the port sparingly to avoid further damage should it be the port. Simply because in the event you need to use the device recovery tool and your device looses connection you risk bricking your device. Short of trying to changing the port and bootloader flash or j tag you may end with a paperweight. You could try using the cable that caused the initial damage, although from experience flashes have been hit and miss as these are not usually factory cables. Which is why you should always fully charge your phone before flashing. If you have a old battery that holds not much charge, recommended to replace it before flashes as sometimes the phone uses alot of cpu cycles to flash hence why it gets warm (yes, I'm over simplyfing it here :grin:)

I hope this helps :).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa