How to capture RAW (DNG) images on W10?

Nikolay Bychinskiy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
How to capture RAW (DNG) images on W10

I'm using Insider Preview 10166 on my Lumia 1020 and just noticed something. Default camera app does not capture raw and there is no Lumia Camera app in the store. In older versions of Insider Preview I could download Lumia Camera, but now it's not available. Is there any way to capture raw? It's the reason why I got L1020 in the first place, are they going to remove it?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to capture RAW (DNG) images on W10

I have the 930 on 10166 and the lumia camera still has DNG so it is not "gone" the only "problem" is that on this build is that lumia apps can not be found in the store.

Nikolay Bychinskiy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 930 has a different Lumia Camera app. Lumia 1020 uses v4.x, Lumia 930 is on v5.x. It seems they removed LC from the store because new Windows Camera is basically the same app as LC, but it doesn't have some features, like dual capture and raw capture. And to the first answer - no it won't help. It will show result from the old store, but! You can't install it from there - directly installing XAP doesn't work like in WP8.1 (Store - Local apps) - because it requires app to be in the store, and I can't sideload it, because it's encrypted Store XAP file. And opening Store page in browser also doesn't help, because it's old store and it doesn't open Store app.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
What about searching for it on the website, download it's xapp and then install it on your phone with sideloading it. You much check it in the options under "For developers"

Nikolay Bychinskiy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

No it's not. htyNBvW.jpg
Maybe on L930 or L1520 it is. But I'm asking about L1020, I don't care about others. I'm already tired of L930/L1520 getting all camera features, while camera flagship doesn't get anything and now they are removing features?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

Lumia 930 has a different Lumia Camera app. Lumia 1020 uses v4.x, Lumia 930 is on v5.x. It seems they removed LC from the store because new Windows Camera is basically the same app as LC, but it doesn't have some features, like dual capture and raw capture. And to the first answer - no it won't help. It will show result from the old store, but! You can't install it from there - directly installing XAP doesn't work like in WP8.1 (Store - Local apps) - because it requires app to be in the store, and I can't sideload it, because it's encrypted Store XAP file. And opening Store page in browser also doesn't help, because it's old store and it doesn't open Store app.

Ahh so much complications

Nikolay Bychinskiy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

As I said - you can't sideload store apps - they are encrypted. You can only sideload xap packages made with Visual Studio (which are basically just zip files).

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

No it's not.
Maybe on L930 or L1520 it is. But I'm asking about L1020, I don't care about others. I'm already tired of L930/L1520 getting all camera features, while camera flagship doesn't get anything and now they are removing features?

I only wanted to help/tell you that if DNG is still in the 930 on w10 then there is no reason at all that it should disappear for the 1020.
But now I know how you think about help I will not try to help you again.

Good luck and goodbye.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I only wanted to help/tell you that if DNG is still in the 930 on w10 then there is no reason at all that it should disappear for the 1020.

Good luck and goodbye.
Miss-reply

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
No it's not. View attachment 108530

It's just a preview, of course they will add all the missing and all the messed up features back when they make it work on every single device. It's not that easy, and it's pretty logical that they will first focus on their newer devices with NEW HARDWARE. It's a miracle that old phones gets updated at all by Microsoft, there is no such thing on a 2 years old phone with Android OEMs, not even Flagships, it doesn't matter.. Technology is moving forward.

And that old Snapdragon is simply not capable of capturing such massive pictures at the speed and amount as new Snapdragon processors. You can actually read about the processors and their capabilities on their website.

Nikolay Bychinskiy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I understand about processors, I'm a developer (and on my old work I even made a WP app, that they chose not to support after I left, because I was the single WP user, now they only have Android/iOS support). And I say - bull****. Yes, I understand why 4K is not supported - because without hardware support it's not possible to capture it at normal speed. I understand why it's not possible to start camera faster - it's limitation of hardware, even flashlight starts 3 seconds, because it waits for camera to initialize. What is beyond me - why did not they include RichCapture feature? It's just a software feature and phone is completely capable of processing multiple images. The only reason why they wouldn't include that is marketing bull****. Proof - Lumia SmartCam (some features of RichCapture) worked on L1020 and was introduced on L1020, but later it's features was removed and reintroduced as RichCapture in LC5. RichCapture is more capable, but it's still just algorithms that process several images.

Nikolay Bychinskiy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Good luck and goodbye.
They already did that with RichCapture. Most of the features of RichCapture were already there in L1020 in the old Lumia Camera and before that in a separate app called Lumia SmartCam. Later it's features were removed.

Sorry that I hurt your feelings, but I'm already tired of Microsoft abandoning their camera flagship even before they introduce a new one. I waited for more than half a year for Denim after it was available on 930. I didn't complain that I didn't have RichCapture even though I knew it's just marketing bull****, but now they even removed the feature I bought this phone for.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I understand about processors, I'm a developer (and on my old work I even made a WP app, that they chose not to support after I left, because I was the single WP user, now they only have Android/iOS support). And I say - bull****. Yes, I understand why 4K is not supported - because without hardware support it's not possible to capture it at normal speed. I understand why it's not possible to start camera faster - it's limitation of hardware, even flashlight starts 3 seconds, because it waits for camera to initialize. What is beyond me - why did not they include RichCapture feature? It's just a software feature and phone is completely capable of processing multiple images. The only reason why they wouldn't include that is marketing bull****. Proof - Lumia SmartCam (some features of RichCapture) worked on L1020 and was introduced on L1020, but later it's features was removed and reintroduced as RichCapture in LC5. RichCapture is more capable, but it's still just algorithms that process several images.

Alright. Good to hear. Anyways, ProShot Camera may help. Your point is clearer after the proof :). Anyways I still think it should be there anytime. W10 store has some app issues for me too.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

They already did that with RichCapture. Most of the features of RichCapture were already there in L1020 in the old Lumia Camera and before that in a separate app called Lumia SmartCam. Later it's features were removed.

Sorry that I hurt your feelings, but I'm already tired of Microsoft abandoning their camera flagship even before they introduce a new one. I waited for more than half a year for Denim after it was available on 930. I didn't complain that I didn't have RichCapture even though I knew it's just marketing bull****, but now they even removed the feature I bought this phone for.

Manual HDR - Rich capture made on PC software, is still better :p

Nikolay Bychinskiy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I use it with .dng, so I haven't complained about RichCapture, because everything can be done manually, the problem now that L1020 with W10 seem to lack dng capture. I hope it's temporary, but judging by their previous updates I wouldn't expect it.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I use it with .dng, so I haven't complained about RichCapture, because everything can be done manually, the problem now that L1020 with W10 seem to lack dng capture. I hope it's temporary, but judging by their previous updates I wouldn't expect it.

Ahhh I See.. I'm sure it will work tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb