How to get Groove to read 200GB of music from sd card?

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Well I think I've finally had some marginal success with this. I believe Groove has indexed my entire 200GB card now although its hard to say for sure since there is no total artist, album, or song count anywhere. I just know by browsing around that I haven't been able to find anything missing yet. Nothing really has been fixed though, indexing still takes forever and seems to only run while the screen is on. But FWIW, here's what I did...

1) Format card in the phone
2) Select all songs in Groove and delete. This took a long time, I had to try multiple times, and I probably did some soft resets in between. Ultimately there were half a dozen or so songs that Groove wouldn't let me delete for who knows why. They definitely were not on the card anymore though.
3) Plug phone into computer (Windows 10)
4) Using Windows Phone companion app click on File explorer link (Note: This File Explorer will act differently than launching File Explorer from your desktop when it comes to dropping files into your Music folder on the sd card)
5) Copy paste entire music collection into Music folder on sd card in phone (Took SEVERAL hours) You need to check on this copy from time to time too because if you're like me your collection may have a few files that are not acceptable in some fashion that you need to answer questions about. If you just walk away for a day you may come back to find that progress has been paused while it asks you what you want to do with a m3u file that was mixed in with your mp3s for example.
6) Unplug from Computer and launch Groove
7) Noticed right away Groove had a large amount of music indexed (not sure how or when this happened, maybe it was doing that while music was still being copied to the card?)
8) Prevent lock screen from coming on until the Adding music toast message in Groove popped up
9) Continue keeping screen on as long as you can (I took several breaks on this including overnight) and keep phone charging
10) My adding music count got to around 15,000 and then went away. I though damn, cuz I have 45,000 on the card. But then I started checking out the Groove library and everything seemed to be there. So perhaps 30,000 indexed already while the card was being loaded up and then final 15,000 finished afterwards? Who knows.

Next I'm going to tackle adding new music to the card and figuring out playlists. I expect nothing but frustration, ha, ha... but I'll keep y'all posted!

Brian Stobbe

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
One other thing I should note is I turned off the setting in Groove for retrieving missing media info. My feeling on that being that it may make an already long process take even longer.

John Hardy IV

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Brian, good luck w/ getting anything new added. I've had the subset of my collection interrogated completely before on a combo SD / internal after hard resets, but once that happens future file level changes e.g. removals of songs or additions are not reflected and updated in the database.

Todd Doering

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issues with a large collection. Just downloaded windows 10 last night hoping for an improved experience with the music player only to find that Groove sucks as bad as it does on my laptop. Why is this so freaking complicated?

I am unable to connect my phone via usb as it encrypted for my work so the only way I can add music is through a card reader. I have about 90-100 gbs of music and most of it is showing up, even though a TON of albums are showing up as unknown artist even though I didn't have an issue in the 8.1 music player.

I'm going to try wiping my SD clean, removing everything from the phone. And then add the files by band by band. Hopefully that works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senda.123