Visit site
beaut1_zps70112102.png

Update_3_Changes.PNG

PREREQUISITES:
Windows Phone App Studio Account (free)
Nokia Lumia 520 :wink:
A (preferably strong) WiFi connection

STEPS:
1. Update to Amber if you have not already done so. Do this by going to Settings > Phone Update
2. Connect your 520 to WiFi if it is not already connected
3. Download Preview for Developers
4. Find it in your App Drawer
5. Follow the steps, accept the EULA, etc.
6. Go to Settings > Phone Update once more
7. Update to the new Dev Preview!

CAUTIONARY WARNINGS:
- You cannot revert back to official builds (However, I *believe* you can update officially once Nokia/AT&T push the update)
- I will not be held responsible for your phone bricking (although that's unlikely) or the start of World War 3 due to you installing this update :winktongue:

Last edited:

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Do we have a changelog / bugs list ?

Just bought my 520, not sure I want to update to this and end up with a buggy phone just yet
I haven't noticed any bugs on mine (actually, it seems a bit faster although that may just be me).
I'll update the OP with a changelog, however if you have any doubts I don't think you should update (just yet).

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed any bugs on mine (actually, it seems a bit faster although that may just be me).
I'll update the OP with a changelog, however if you have any doubts I don't think you should update (just yet).

Did it wipe the phone clean or just update what you already had? Lose any Nokia apps or access to them in the store ?

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Did it wipe the phone clean or just update what you already had? Lose any Nokia apps or access to them in the store ?
You're welcome, and no it was not a "clean install" (It retained all the apps I had previously downloaded and all of my settings, so yes it was an update). And actually, it did retain the Nokia apps that were installed and the "Nokia Collection" on the store page, which is somewhat surprising yet good.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome, and no it was not a "clean install" (It retained all the apps I had previously downloaded and all of my settings, so yes it was an update). And actually, it did retain the Nokia apps that were installed and the "Nokia Collection" on the store page, which is somewhat surprising yet good.

Appreciate the info

EDIT - Reading the comments on the GDR3 page, people are saying that the Dev Preview is likely the final version anyway ?

Last edited:

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate the info

EDIT - Reading the comments on the GDR3 page, people are saying that the Dev Preview is likely the final version anyway ?
I'm not sure, but if feels as polished as a final version would (However, this is my first WP8 and I have never been on a dev firmware).

I'm personally loving the autorotate disable feature, and I see that others are reporting it to be faster for them, also.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure, but if feels as polished as a final version would (However, this is my first WP8 and I have never been on a dev firmware).

I'm personally loving the autorotate disable feature, and I see that others are reporting it to be faster for them, also.

From everything I've read, although likely this is the final, if it is not, there should be no problem updating to general release when it arrives

I've taken the plunge and updated mine anyway, I can't have pending updates and not install them :D

My old 710 auto-rotate used to bug the life out of me, phone sitting flat on the desk, portrait, open text messages and it would change to landscape

Haven't had that issue with my 520 yet but nice to know I can disable it if I do

Im looking forward to being able to set custom text message notification sounds now too, there was only 1 out of all the stock sounds that was any good

EDIT - I wish they would have added the 30 minute screen timeout option back, 5 max minutes is a PITA

EDIT 2 - It does feel snappier, smoother since the update

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720