• Welcome to the all-new Windows Central Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues, please let us know in this thread!

How to roll back to windows 8.1 phone properly?

W

WPCentral Question

I installed windows 10 insider preview on my Lumia 525, and I've rolled back to windows 8.1, however, when I did this, the proximity sensor and the auto brightness stopped working. When I installed windows 10 again, the sensors worked fine. I want to know how to roll back with proper functioning of my sensors.

charlatan1978

Ambassador
Dec 23, 2013
It sounds like you were just unlucky.
Rolling back to WP8.1 you just follow the prompts in the Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
After you have rolled back to 8.1, do a hard reset before you do anything else. 8.1 is there but maybe some crap was left over from the install/rollback that prohibits these two things to operate correctly.

Let us know if this helps.

Gautham Vinod

Jun 23, 2015
I've already started using it as a normal phone, but the sensors still don't work. Do I hard reset now? Or do I use phone recovery tool and reinstall, and then hard reset?

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Well that's bad. Month ago after the rollback my microphone stopped working, and I had to order a part from eBay and replace it myself and its working now.

Gautham Vinod

Jun 23, 2015
I tried hard reseting. It just finished, but the problem persists.
Should I use windows phone recovery tool, and then immediately hard reset??

charlatan1978

Ambassador
Dec 23, 2013
If you have reset and not restored from a backup and the fault remains, then it would appear to be a hardware fault.

Gautham Vinod

Jun 23, 2015
It cant be a hardware problem as the sensors work fine when on windows 10. And it used to work fine in windows 8.1 too, but after I installed 10 and rolled back, it stopped working.