How to solve issue with auto-refresh in File Explorer? (Windows 10)

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi there,

Since this afternoon, I've updated two of the computers at home from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Since then, i tested them and everything is fine on the first one (except a little bug with the address bar in Google Chrome) but not on the second one.

Let me explain you what the problem is. In the File Explorer, each time i scroll down to any location in the folder, it's scrolling up after a few seconds, but also prevent me to rename a file or a folder, because when I do, it seems some kind of refresh happens and I'm back to the top of the window and the file name (or folder name) is again in view mode.

Can you help me ?

Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards,

Meng Yi

Logan_5

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 - How to solve issue with auto refresh in File Explorer ?

I've tried all the ideas above and Windows 10 file explorer is still refreshing. I do not get a consistent time. Sometimes it's 10 seconds, then 20, then 60. Really odd. I am totally pissed off. :devil:

mahendran j

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
hi, here is the solution for refreshing explorer.
i had upgrade my system to win 10. after that i had many issues like blank screen,auto refresh.
i search a lot and many people say make changes in personalize menu. i did but the problem exist. after that i found solution for it.

that is u need to uninstall sound drive from ur computer.
no worries. sound drive will work after uninstalled it.

mikell970

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I will tell you a fact! I updated to windows 10 this July and I also noticed the auto-refreshed file explorer! The only thing I did that stopped it was PUTTING MY COLOR ACCENT OFF in PERSONALIZATION and picking just one colour.

piggely1

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello everybody. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 48 hours ago and have been driven ABSOLUTELY MAD by the auto-refresh feature. All my desktop icons that I have arranged in groups refresh to some kind of default down the left side of the desktop every minute without fail. I've tried the suggested turn off auto colour application in personalization but it hasn't worked. Has anybody got any other brilliant ideas before I throw my laptop out the window into the garden!

whereis

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Having same problem. Just installed on HP laptop, all went smooth till black screen at in of install. reboot fixed that. Now windows refreshes the desktop/menu every 60 seconds. Have tried changing each Personalize setting one-by-one but Windows 10 continues to refresh approx. every 60 second make Explorer almost useless as well as other programs! :angry:

NicholeTech

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
So you go the rename a file or folder or open the context menu and bling it reverts or closes.

I found the problem and solution!

There problem:
Windows 10 has auto-magickly started syncing your theme. The theme is sending/receiving a refresh "heartbeat'.

The Solution:
Right click, select 'Personalize'
Select 'Themes' in root window
Select 'Theme Settings' in main window
Select the 'Windows Ten' or your theme preference

Go back to 'Settings' main window
Select 'Accounts'
Select 'Sync your settings' in the window root
Under "Individual sync settings"
Turn off 'Theme'
Or you can just stop the sync all together.

Test and pat self on back. Enjoy the feeling of accomplishment! :smile:

marius8787

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I'm having a problem with my Windows 10 Home edition, after last updates.
It seems that whenever i insert my USB memory, it's one Corsair Voyager for USB 3.0, the icons from tha taskbar start to flash.
Also, in My Computer, the icon for Voyager is refreshing always. The problem stops after removing the USB memory.

I tested the memory on other PC with no similar problems.
I tested another memory on my PC without any problems.
I don't know what else I coulld do. I updated al USB memory drivers, nothing happens...
I tried the memory on each USB port that I have, 2.0 or 3.0 and nothing.
I tested an external harddrive on the USB 3.0 ports, works perfectly.

Please advise. It drives me mad.

Proud Centaur

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
I just registered to say THANK YOU
I changed ONLY the dynamic color select 20 minutes ago and ZERO explorer refresh....
changed nothing else in my 1 minutes slide show
bummer I like the background and theme colors changing
now to look for solution to another problem I have everytime they upgrade

Pink-Hat

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
To stop open folder in Windows 10 from automatically scrolling back to the top of the page:

Push the "windows" key and "I" on your keyboard. Windows Settings should pop up.

Go to "Personalization" and select it. Go to "Colors" on the Left side of the screen and select it.

On the right side of the screen UNCHECK "Automatically Pick An Accent Color From My Background"

This should stop your open folder from automatically scrolling back to the top of the page.

Good Day.

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
why, when I go into File Explorer it often refreshes everything?
Says "working on it" and can take several minutes.
It is like it is building indexes all over again or something.
Usually happens first time after boot up, but sometimes can happen even if I have been working on the Surface Pro 2017 for quite a time.

Craig Lambie

Nov 29, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 48 hours ago and have been driven ABSOLUTELY MAD by the auto-refresh feature. All my desktop icons that I have arranged in groups refresh to some kind of default down the left side of the desktop every minute without fail. I've tried the suggested turn off auto colour application in personalization but it hasn't worked. Has anybody got any other brilliant ideas before I throw my laptop out the window into the garden!

This was the answer for me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...832-7350-4a0b-9c0b-48e56bb64d92?auth=1&page=4

Uninstall Windows Media Player (use VLC anyway) and it works...

Start >> Add or remove programs > Windows Media Player > Uninstall

Worked a charm for me - I was almost going to through it in too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro