How will you organize your new start screen?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Watching this video First look at 7.8 start screen on Lumia 900 | WMPoweruser I am really looking forward to using the new start screen. Looking at your phone now what are the tiles you think will be set to the smallest, medium or largest size? Prime candidates for the smallest size for me are the system shortcuts from Connectivity shortcuts, all 4 in a row. MP and maybe phone as well. Large goes to email with 2 linked inboxes and messaging and definitely Zune. Most apps are going to be either medium or small depending on the amount of info it displays, large will probably be very few. What are your plans?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I whipped out some graph paper and tried to figure it out, but I don't think I'll be able to get it just so until it's released.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I love having a Live Tile for my close friends on the Start Screen. Being able to make it large and display Text Messages (I believe I saw that in the video) and more of their social updates will only make it better. MS could really make a large email tile useful as well. I'm sure whatever we think we'll do now will change, especially since MS is probably making a lot more changes to the UI than what was shown today.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No Live Tile. No need for a big tile. Live Tile with lots of info (and an aggressive dev) big tile. All the rest stay the same.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

kittshelby

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
can't wait to organize my startscreen as well! it really is going to be a unique "fingerprint", i highly doubt anyone organize their startscreen the exact same way. it's going a lot of fun; i'm going to have a entertainment corner, games corner, productivity corner, peoples/groups corner, etc. can't W8!

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Two shortfalls I am still hoping get addressed in the home screen.

1. Being able to lock a portion of the homescreen from sliding out of view. Kind of like MS Excel where you can lock say the top row from sliding out of view. That way you can ensure that no matter where in your home screen tiles list you are you can always see, maybe the top row or something like that. That way I could say lock the messages, emails or whatever is important to youa on the top row or two and know you can always see them no matter where in the list you are scrolling.

2. Some way of indicating where in the list you are, like a scroll bar. I have tried showing of my phone to two people recently and observed both people not knowing where in my list of apps I was. So picture having a long list and not knowing how far from the bottom or top you are and just scrolling up and down till they worked out where the top is. Actually the app list has this. Both small featurs, but useful.

Have stopped holding my breath for some kind of profile settings as well. Really miss this feature the most. All my old Sony Ericsson's had this built in, my Android has a great one that turns stuff on and off and does various tasks based on where I am. Really wish WP would get this.

I would live to make this as a developer, but sadly the API's don't allow me access to the stuff I need to make it happen. Hope the new SDK allows me, or that profiles is a new feature comming to all windows phones.

Dan.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Just thinking about the myriad of START screen combinations makes my head hurt, tbh. Windows Phone has officially become the most complicated to use OS, in line with all of Microsoft's other products. Now, all Microsoft needs to do is get rid of the app drawer and add a widget drawer and they will have outdone Android. (Yay? I guess yay...) -.-

I don't really mind that Windows Phone has become more complicated; but, I am irked that Microsoft has basically thrown its design philosophy right out the door.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just thinking about the myriad of START screen combinations makes my head hurt, tbh. Windows Phone has officially become the most complicated to use OS, in line with all of Microsoft's other products. Now, all Microsoft needs to do is get rid of the app drawer and add a widget drawer and they will have outdone Android. (Yay? I guess yay...) -.-

I don't really mind that Windows Phone has become more complicated; but, I am irked that Microsoft has basically thrown its design philosophy right out the door.

Oh, lord, I have an optional ability on my phone and now it's impossible to use. The tile can now be three sizes? Oh gosh, so hard to handle.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Watching this video First look at 7.8 start screen on Lumia 900 | WMPoweruser I am really looking forward to using the new start screen. Looking at your phone now what are the tiles you think will be set to the smallest, medium or largest size? Prime candidates for the smallest size for me are the system shortcuts from Connectivity shortcuts, all 4 in a row. MP and maybe phone as well. Large goes to email with 2 linked inboxes and messaging and definitely Zune. Most apps are going to be either medium or small depending on the amount of info it displays, large will probably be very few. What are your plans?

Same here; totally looking forward to the new start screen. For me, I'm probably going to keep most stuff relatively the same size. Messaging is definitely getting a double wide, phone might shrink to a small and quite possibly settings and any other apps that I have that don't have added live tile functionality. It really depends on the color scheme and how much information the new tiles show once expanded.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I just know that the stuff that is big on my phone at the moment, I would rather them be smaller. I know for sure I want to have my text box bigger, just so I can preview it before opening it up. I like the picture box big, i'll keep that. The Calendar, I think i'll make it medium since I don't use it as often. School doesn't start til August, so it'll probably expand throughout the semester.

I am excited for the new home screen, it'll be different just to figure out what to pin/unpin.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
first of all, THANK YOU Theefman

Second,

Think its gona be similar to how I have it now , but my E-mails and TXT will have a BIG tiles so i can quickly see the MSG i got. and quickly see the REPORTED post i have to MOD in my e-mails :) hehe

then i think im gona have to wait till i actually have the new UI to know exactly what i want.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
No Live Tile. No need for a big tile. Live Tile with lots of info (and an aggressive dev) big tile. All the rest stay the same.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

The perfect answer so far. That's how I'm gonna arrange mine when it comes. But will the tiny tiles still flip?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte