How's Windows 10 Mobile now?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh and I just checked my HTC running 8.1 and no Starbucks app...

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170703/b0fdde04e95d17377586c63ca50891cd.jpg
It's only available for W10.

vejxyDt.jpg

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Since the last couple updates, my 950 is much worse. I use continuum a lot and that works like crap now. On one 950, it doesn't work at all. On the other, it works, but both outlook and messaging do not work. They launch on big screen then crash immediately. Just ticks me off. The other glitches i can live with, but this prevents me from getting work done. Argh!!!!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
W10m is better than ever but worse than ever at the same time. Only Microsoft could achieve that. The builds even on Fast Insider ring are more stable than ever and really good. It's actually quite enjoyable now and what it should have been a year or 2 ago. There's also less apps than ever and everyone is expecting Microsoft to kill off W10m at any minute. I'm glad I kept my 950xl after getting the iPhone 7 Plus, Galaxy s8 Plus then the LG G6 as I only kept it as my work phone and a back up but I'm back using it as my daily driver again and loving it more than ever. I'm even going out today to buy a second hand 1520 as a back up and for a bit of nostalgia.
But a bad idea

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
What dov said. I moved to an Iphone 7+ because my X3 on fast ring was rebooting too often. The latest fast rings solved that. The garbage collection is still hit or miss and a forced reboot every day is still necessary. Outlook is way better than on Android or Iphone. Still, there are glaring app holes (Starbucks) and other oddities.

Still even ON THE 7+ there are issues. Check this out while I was typing, my keyboard disappeared...

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170701/c73f06a84a58e89eb92635186afb2990.jpg

IOTW, the Iphone sucks slightly less than W10m
Really? Outlook is better on W10M? How so? Real question.....I'd Love to know.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
What dov said. I moved to an Iphone 7+ because my X3 on fast ring was rebooting too often. The latest fast rings solved that. The garbage collection is still hit or miss and a forced reboot every day is still necessary. Outlook is way better than on Android or Iphone. Still, there are glaring app holes (Starbucks) and other oddities.

Still even ON THE 7+ there are issues. Check this out while I was typing, my keyboard disappeared...

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170701/c73f06a84a58e89eb92635186afb2990.jpg

IOTW, the Iphone sucks slightly less than W10m

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Since the last couple updates, my 950 is much worse. I use continuum a lot and that works like crap now. On one 950, it doesn't work at all. On the other, it works, but both outlook and messaging do not work. They launch on big screen then crash immediately. Just ticks me off. The other glitches i can live with, but this prevents me from getting work done. Argh!!!!

Continuum seem more stable on my 950XL, works better with MSFT wireless display. But I lost the usage of mouse and usb-keyboard on host. The host being my Acer laptop. Anyone can confirm if its available on surface devices?

...!!

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
But a bad idea

If you mean getting another 1520....you've no idea!

I drove around 40 miles to the woman's house who was selling it on Gumtree (the equivalent of Craigslist here in the UK), it was late evening so it was quite dark and the woman kept the lights off in her house so I couldn't get a super close look at the phone, my kids were in the car and cranky so I was in a bit of a rush anyway and quickly checked the phone worked with no obvious damage (apart from the missing sim tray I already knew about). I got home and quickly started to see issues. Glance didn't work, double to wake wouldn't work, the front cam would just crash when switching to it and the screen was springing up at the sides. It quickly became obvious it had been badly repaired at some point and the person had done some damage doing it. I took the back off to see what was going on and boy what a mess it was. I never paid a lot for it so it was always a bit of a gamble but that didn't stop me feeling so stupid for not checking it properly. I'm not even going to ask for my money back as it's my own stupid fault and taught me a harsh lesson. Lovely phone otherwise and just makes me even more nostalgic but I won't be getting another.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
That's a bad misadventure.

I once bought a used red 1520, thru a local online site. The price was USD230, which is about what the market sales value was at that time, about a year ago.

Met the seller at the nearby eatery. Upon inspection, everything seems fine. No dents. Took off the back jellycase, nary a scratch. It looked MINT. It ran W8.0/Denim. Took some test shots, launched some apps, GPS, etc... Nice and quite decent price.
Upgraded it to W10 fast lane, and ran really well.

This was actually the first of two 1520, I purchased on behalf for my brother. He's a OnePlus user, eager to pit his OP1 with a 1520...

Anyway, I got to use it for about 6 months, when the screen suddenly began to die on me. Darn. It eventually was cannibalised for parts.

Moral herein: One never know how pre-owned stuff turns out. I thought I got a real bargain, which lasted for only ½year!!

...!!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
That's why Starbucks is a treat for me and not an everyday coffee.

This!!

I love coffee, but seldom drink at Starbucks. A matter of choice to enjoy a cuppa at locally owned cafés. It costs about the same.
Then there is the local coffee shops serving local coffee, at a fraction of what you'd have to pay at franchise outlets

... erm, what was this thread about??

...!!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If you mean getting another 1520....you've no idea!

I drove around 40 miles to the woman's house who was selling it on Gumtree (the equivalent of Craigslist here in the UK), it was late evening so it was quite dark and the woman kept the lights off in her house so I couldn't get a super close look at the phone, my kids were in the car and cranky so I was in a bit of a rush anyway and quickly checked the phone worked with no obvious damage (apart from the missing sim tray I already knew about). I got home and quickly started to see issues. Glance didn't work, double to wake wouldn't work, the front cam would just crash when switching to it and the screen was springing up at the sides. It quickly became obvious it had been badly repaired at some point and the person had done some damage doing it. I took the back off to see what was going on and boy what a mess it was. I never paid a lot for it so it was always a bit of a gamble but that didn't stop me feeling so stupid for not checking it properly. I'm not even going to ask for my money back as it's my own stupid fault and taught me a harsh lesson. Lovely phone otherwise and just makes me even more nostalgic but I won't be getting another.
Man....that sucks!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For starters, you can't pin multiple accounts to your start screen. That automatically makes it better than Android or iOS. MIME attachments won't open on iOS and there are no apps available to do so. On iOS, you can only use the built-in notification sounds but that may change if iOS 11 truly brings a full-fledged file manager and allows app permissions. Lastly, the tight integration with contacts and calendars is more robust than Android or iOS simply because they are extensions of the Office suite as opposed to independent apps on the others.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
For starters, you can't pin multiple accounts to your start screen. That automatically makes it better than Android or iOS. MIME attachments won't open on iOS and there are no apps available to do so. On iOS, you can only use the built-in notification sounds but that may change if iOS 11 truly brings a full-fledged file manager and allows app permissions. Lastly, the tight integration with contacts and calendars is more robust than Android or iOS simply because they are extensions of the Office suite as opposed to independent apps on the others.
Thanks

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
You mean overpriced. No such thing as overrated coffee.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

Not sure how to take your comment :)

If the point is that coffee is good, and more coffee is more better, and like there's no such thing as too much coffee or bad coffee, then I suppose - spiritually - yes.

But no. I think Starbucks coffee is overrated and overpriced.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

No offense, but the above is part of the biggest problem Microsoft is facing.

First of all you're criticizing W10M based on an unstable fast ring release. That's just poor thinking. If you want stable you don't use the fast ring, you use the production build or whatever it's called.

Secondly, it makes zero sense to first of all complain about the lack of a Starbucks app, then when people say it exists check it on an earlier Windows version than the one we're discussing.

Even the first month I had my phone, last year, I was baffled by some people who would complain that there were no bank apps with specific features, yet I had it on my very phone. And there were other statements that were just straight up inaccurate. And questioning those false statements were considered confrontational or whatever. And this is before we even get into the question of whether or not people are having problems with the OS or their batteries (or other hardware such as memory cards).

So, what MS is facing is a bunch of really bad information about the the OS floating around. That's its biggest hurdle in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786