HTC 8X over other Nokias?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Seeing how you have the 920 and have access to all the Nokia apps, you two wouldn't be out the ability to have them. Not sure how much travel there is that your wife would miss those.

I am down on HTC. My experince with them has been poor through the WP7 Titan series. But those with the 8X love them. I say so long as most of your travels are together and she prefers the 8X, no worries.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've had the 8X since late December and bar none it's been the best phone I've owned. The battery life is great and I have no issues making it away from home and back with it, the audio quality is great with beats audio (yes it does make a difference). The aspect ratio is also in line with high definition video programming which means that she won't have any horizontal bars when trying to watch 16:9 programming. HTC is working on the firmware issues with the GDR2 update and will roll it out to all 8Xs. The camera is also of great quality and even takes better quality photos than the iPhone 5, I'd say it's just a notch lower than the Nokias in terms of camera.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would take the Lumia 820 over the 8X (my sister got the 822 on Verizon instead of it; I personally have the 920 on AT&T). Though your wife MIGHT not care about missing apps (notably the EA games) with HTC, I had an HTC Android device before my 920, and their software support is pretty pathetic (just one meaningful update in 2 years). Also, the 820 had the optional wireless charging shells (in case she wants that feature), plus microSD support (16 GB isn't enough for me, not sure about your wife).

Nokia just seems overall more committed to the platform, and having things like the Lumia storage check to clear the Other storage and get a breakdown of storage consumption is another plus.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It ultimately depends on what works for you. I own both a 8X and a Lumia 810. I like the lightweight feel of the 8X...it is a balanced handset with a very good camera. The small internal storage sucks...wish OG 8X has the expandable storage like the 8XT but kept the 16 GB internal. I like my 810 because of the expandable storage, what Nokia is doing to enhance its phones and such. If i had to pick between the 2, i'd go with the 8X now because the Nokia Transport apps i use are available to all WP8 phones and that is enough to sway me to the lighter design as a daily driver. If you want a solid, all around high end handset, the 8X is great. If you want more out of your phone, especially camera wise, I'd take the Lumia 9x line and the 1020 over it any day. If you consume a ton of media, i'd take the Ativ S over it too. It is still a solid get in its own right and i'm curious to see what HTC does when they get the GDR3 update...

Last edited:

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently an 8x user and my experience with the phone has been excellent. Love its design, 720p screen, loud speaker, and great, fast camera. I do like Nokia too but won't go with a WVGA screen or 8gb storage just because it's a Nokia.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 8x since the first week of January and it has been as close to flawless as any smart phone I've owned and that has been quite a few. Speaking as a woman from my gender's point of view I think your wife would love the 8x. Many of the opinions already expressed are talking about storage and durability. I would imagine that your wife is not going to be as rough on her phone as most men and will also find the 16GB version more than adequate. The screen is simply beautiful and videos are awesome on it. It's a gorgeous phone in all respects. I've had no issues with a coating coming off either, but mine does not have the soft finish. It is the gray Verizon employee edition. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
don't do it. i had a 900, got an 8x from ebay and even though the nokia is on 7.8 it is vastly superior.
i mean maybe i got a lemon or else i dont see how no one's talking about the build quality of the 8x. simply put it's just not in the same league as nokias. htc also has ****ty support. nokia apps are a killer and what makes wp stay afloat. the 8x is also stupidly long for the screen size it has. and this last one might be personal, but windows phone only looks good on amoled if you ask me. a huge appeal of the os is how it flows into the bezels, but the blacks are not blacks on the 8x. i wanted to love that phone but it was a pretty mundane disappointment. not outstandingly useless, but just utterly underwhelming in a number of ways

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a perfectly viable alternative with discounts I've seen recently: it's a WP8.0 flagship for the price of a low-to-mid range Lumia. If you're in an area where HERE services are subsidised (e.g. you have free Drive), then it's pretty great, really.

With my 8X, I feel the downsides are:
  • Camera options. Default camera app is sorely lacking, end up going to ProShot, which I've find to be very unstable, for my shots. Really poor third party camera app selection outside of Nokia's exclusives, not a single noteworthy panorama or HDR app.
  • HERE services aren't subsidised in my country, I'm not paying $45 for Drive+ when Google navigation is free and from what I've experienced, better on other platforms.
    (Exception international / outback travel, which isn't my use case.)
  • You don't get tweaks and tricks from HTC. Nokia has nifty options coming such as the double tap to wake, and the glance screen. They are far from being deal breakers but they are niceties nonetheless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124