Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
capturext.png

Hummm =/.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I certainly don't like this kind of cockiness. It's not like the 8X is that much lighter than the ATIV.

Seems like a clever ad to me, for people who care about 20 pennies worth of weight.

I think most people don't want a heavy phone, but the weight is probably not in their top 5 or even top 10 important selling points. If it was, they'd get an iPhone 5, not a Windows Phone.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I love it. I especially love how utterly and completely enraged certain people are over it. Every forum is buzzing with swarms of Nokians demanding that HTC be destroyed for dishing back a little of the flippancy with which Nokia addressed the 8X when it was announced (calling it "derivative" and "non-innovative.")

I have always thought that one shouldn't dish out trash talk if he's not willing to take it! ;)

Although Apple is still the king of hypersensitivity to criticism. They can roll out advertisements like the "Mac-PC" ones, where they slammed the competition for years in dozens of ads with nasty comments and often flat-out misstatements about basic tech, and when Microsoft countered with the "laptop hunters" ad -- just one commercial -- they screamed with rage, threatened to sue, and had their press buddies write dozens of articles about "Microsoft's unfair advertising." ;)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I certainly don't like this kind of cockiness. It's not like the 8X is that much lighter than the ATIV.

They're differentiating their phone in a way that people will hopefully remember when it comes time to buy a phone.

So if weight is an issue, they might remember this ad.

Every company should be a little cocky about their product. They should truly believe that their product is awesome.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey, you gotta present all your points to convince a buyer to buy your products instead of the competition's. Cockiness or whatever you call it, it's really just marketing. If I were HTC I would step it up and show how "big" the 920 is by directing people to Jessica Dolcourt's 920 "First Look" video, LOL!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
What's the old saying...any press is good press.

But do I want my phone 20 pennies lighter, or my wallet $50 lighter?

I can live with the pennies.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If I was Nokia's marketing, I'd make a commercial where there's a few hot girls all huddled in a circle in a coffee shop talking and giggling. Have a guy kinda hovering around them holding an iPhone, obviously looking like he wants to start a conversation with this hot group of women.

Show some images of their smiling faces as they gossip with each other. Have Lady1 saying, "It is amazing. I feel like I want to play with it all the time."

Lady2 says, "It's so smooth. I love all the colors it comes in."

Lady3 says, "I'm never going back to what I was using before."

Guy says, "But isn't it too big?"

Then have all the other ladies look at her and say, "Really? Too big?"

Then have all the ladies laugh as they walk out.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If I was Nokia's marketing, I'd make a commercial where there's a few hot girls all huddled in a circle in a coffee shop talking and giggling. Have a guy kinda hovering around them holding an iPhone, obviously looking like he wants to start a conversation with this hot group of women.

Show some images of their smiling faces as they gossip with each other. Have Lady1 saying, "It is amazing. I feel like I want to play with it all the time."

Lady2 says, "It's so smooth. I love all the colors it comes in."

Lady3 says, "I'm never going back to what I was using before."

Guy says, "But isn't it too big?"

Then have all the other ladies look at her and say, "Really? Too big?"

Then have all the ladies laugh as they walk out.

I love it!

And HTC's counter-ad can be...

On one side is Ricky Martin, on the other side is John Goodman.

"Hi, I'm an HTC," says Ricky. "And I'm a Lumia," says John...

:D

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the 8X much cheaper then the 920? Like 200 bucks cheaper?

Depends on how you define it. Unlocked, they're about the same price. On contract, Lumia is the same price as 8X if you compare AT&T Lumia to T-Mobile 8X ($149).

The real source of price difference is the monthly bill. That "$50 cheaper for my phone" looks pretty silly when you pay $120/month instead of $60/month for service... suddenly you're looking at a phone that cost "$50 less" costs $1,390 MORE over a two-year contract...

adriel623

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey, you gotta present all your points to convince a buyer to buy your products instead of the competition's. Cockiness or whatever you call it, it's really just marketing. If I were HTC I would step it up and show how "big" the 920 is by directing people to Jessica Dolcourt's 920 "First Look" video, LOL!

Eww, CNET.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If only anybody in the US could get aggressive about getting these devices in stores. After all, isn't the "weight" of a product you can only read about ZERO?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Ah my man br, nice to ignore the price on Verizon. And turn it into a monthly fee ad for t-mobile. Just enjoy the sarcasm.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Ah my man br, nice to ignore the price on Verizon. And turn it into a monthly fee ad for t-mobile. Just enjoy the sarcasm.

The Verizon price is the highest for the 8X of any of them. And the price of the phone over time includes the subsidy as well, since a phone with a contract is a finance contract. Verizon and AT&T users just pay a much higher interest rate. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)