HTC One's BlinkFeed...WP's worst nightmare come true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
That happens on every forum. Some people go overboard though, see my sig. I know the person it's directed at has lol.

Agreed. For the most part it's mild with the liking and thanking, but you notice the names. But there are always those that have to go a bit further or make sure they get the last word. They usually get themselves in trouble sooner or later.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just saw the commercial for HTC One's Blinkfeed and I personally think it looks insanely close to Live Tiles. Maybe too close - if MS were Apple they'd have sued HTC last week!
It's interesting to see people getting tired of the old "sea of icons" interface and try something refreshingly new.

But I wouldn't buy the HTC One anytime soon...mostly because I buy my phones sim-free and the One is ridiculously expensive.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand. Blink feed just looks like a neat RSS widget which is nothing like live tiles(unless you only use RSS feeds on your home screen).

You guys also forget that to get this you need an extremely high end an expensive phone not to mention having to deal with the king of battery life vampires on android... Using heavy widgets on android completely slaughters battery life and performance. HTC gets around this by making really beefy phones. My SO has a relatively new HTC phone and is lucky to get more than 8 hrs of battery life, without such battery draining widgets on the home screen.

Meanwhile my Lumia gets double the battery life, runs just as smooth if not smoother (as the os was actually designed around live tiles), works better and lets me do more than this does, and to top it all off all on a phone that costs half as much. Your move, HTC?

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand. Blink feed just looks like a neat RSS widget which is nothing like live tiles(unless you only use RSS feeds on your home screen).

You guys also forget that to get this you need an extremely high end an expensive phone not to mention having to deal with the king of battery life vampires on android... Using heavy widgets on android completely slaughters battery life and performance. HTC gets around this by making really beefy phones. My SO has a relatively new HTC phone and is lucky to get more than 8 hrs of battery life, without such battery draining widgets on the home screen.

Meanwhile my Lumia gets double the battery life, runs just as smooth if not smoother (as the os was actually designed around live tiles), works better and lets me do more than this does, and to top it all off all on a phone that costs half as much. Your move, HTC?

Have you actually used the HTC One or no? Seems to have no issues with speed. In fact pretty much every 2013 Android flagship is fast as heck.
Battery life is not an issue that either the 920 or 8x can brag about being glitch free. 8 hours on her older HTC you say? My 2 year old Motorola Atrix 4G gets more than that, with the widgets above running and background services as well. We can go back and forth like this all day if you like.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is an amazing idea, but it will be an information overload for users. Plus I am not sure why none of the Android OEMs get the animations right. Doesn't anyone see the animation between screens as well as Blinkfeed a little jerky? Going microseconds back and forth type feeling? With WP everything when works, it just flooooooooooooows.

However, I can think of at least 20 friends who will be amazed as soon as they see this HTC phone and buy it instead of a Lumia 920. Why? Same old, it has apps, that doesn't. It has "new" blinkfeed, this doesn't and I will react, wtflower are you talking about, this whole thing is freaking "NEW" every morning I wake up, SMH.

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Have you actually used the HTC One or no? Seems to have no issues with speed. In fact pretty much every 2013 Android flagship is fast as heck.
Battery life is not an issue that either the 920 or 8x can brag about being glitch free. 8 hours on her older HTC you say? My 2 year old Motorola Atrix 4G gets more than that, with the widgets above running and background services as well. We can go back and forth like this all day if you like.

It's not an older HTC it's a newer one. And I know there isn't much slowdown on newer/flagship androids but my point is my $300 lumia 810 manages to get double the battery life in my experience at least, and I know for a fact from owning an android tablet that having intensive widgets running on your homescreen makes android suck battery like no tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not an older HTC it's a newer one. And I know there isn't much slowdown on newer/flagship androids but my point is my $300 lumia 810 manages to get double the battery life in my experience at least, and I know for a fact from owning an android tablet that having intensive widgets running on your homescreen makes android suck battery like no tomorrow.

OK, but just so we're clear on the difference, there's a big difference in how much juice is needed to power a tablet screen plus widgets compared to a phone.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

I have to agree. It is Jelly Bean that is doing wonders. My old RAZR also went ballistic with it. And note my neXus 4, obviously is cool. But that's not the point.

The UI looks great IMHO. Jerky or not, it is bound to catch eye. And the availability... Its just announced and we know it's already coming all around the world.
So... lot of things matter if u ask me..

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't think so, seems like an RSS feeder with pictures. Nothing like live tiles, plus I don't think HTC would compete with MS like that. They want as many people as possible to buy their phones whether it's WP or android. The boomsound seems impressive but I would rather see OEMS start transitioning from a 3.5mm analog jack to a hybrid mini-TOSLINK/3.5mm jack, that way we can have true digital headphones. If HTC made a WP like the 8X but with that I would easily shell out $600 for it.

elvisgp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. It is Jelly Bean that is doing wonders. My old RAZR also went ballistic with it. And note my neXus 4, obviously is cool. But that's not the point.

The UI looks great IMHO. Jerky or not, it is bound to catch eye. And the availability... Its just announced and we know it's already coming all around the world.
So... lot of things matter if u ask me..

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

I thought you were thought done with android? I recall reading that you were wanting to switch to windows phone and leave your RAZR behind. But now you have a nexus 4? How is it?

sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The strength of Live Tiles is that you have standardised widgets for all apps. Standardised in their design, standardised in their size, standardised in their availability. On iOS, there's a counter at best; on Android, there's far less guarantee that you're going to get one with a certain app, let alone one that fits with the interface your device has. That's really what sparked those two platforms to move towards notification centres - because it provides a standardised system that apps can plug into.

Windows Phone doesn't need a full-blown notification centre. Take weather - on iOS, you can get the current weather by getting notifications from a weather app. Therefore, you'll see it as a notification on the lock screen, and in the notification centre. On Windows Phone, you have an app with a Live Tile and lock screen background - no notification centre needed, no real downside. Communication services and social updates do need priority though, and that's where the notification centre comes in. Texts, calls, emails, Skype, WhatsApp, IRC.

As for the rest of the apps, two things need to happen - 1) less restrictions on the periodic background agent (option to change refresh time from ten minutes to several hours, increase memory limit) and 2) an affordable or free push system for notifications that indie developers can use, especially for games. Game Center on iOS has really good push, Windows Phone needs the same.

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
WP fans need to stop being so insecure with the thinking that any new feature on another platform will mean doom for WP. Each OS has it's pros and cons and other OSes are bound to "borrow" features. It's not the end of the world.

The problem is everybody will think google invented this concept just like they think apple invented the smartphone..

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
After watching 2 minutes of that video I got a headache. Way too complicated-WP far more simpler than this mess..

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The strength of Live Tiles is that you have standardised widgets for all apps. Standardised in their design, standardised in their size, standardised in their availability. On iOS, there's a counter at best; on Android, there's far less guarantee that you're going to get one with a certain app, let alone one that fits with the interface your device has. That's really what sparked those two platforms to move towards notification centres - because it provides a standardised system that apps can plug into.
That was true in 2010, but not anymore. There's a lot of very popular apps on Play Store that come with widget 'suites' if you will, that not only give you a standardized appearance that complies with Google's "holo" design standards but each one of these suites also has other developers separately designing dozens of themes for that suite of widgets. No offense but a lot of people are incredibly misinformed about current Android trends. I don't mean that in a critical way, because it's understandable that if you don't own one you're not going to be bothered keeping up on what other devices are doing. So because of that this is what happens: People see images of a brand new Android out of the box, see the often not very attractive skin the Manufacturer slapped on it, and say "oh what a mess". What you're missing is the incredible world of customization people are doing out there.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
But then again most of us don't come to a Windows Phone forum to get informed about android phones. :winktongue:

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Theres a video of it here, live. HTC One Hands-On Review (HD) - YouTube

Its just a rip off windows phone, and I think the average consumer will probably hate the way it works, and if they like it. We might have a future WP customer.
why the **** does htc make all their phones so damn graphic intensive that garbage looks so laggy in this video...this thing is gonna kill battery life. everything is like doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs