I am really liking this Start Screen concept..

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Groupy is for Android/iOS converts who don't "get" it.

Jax, name 8 apps that are more important and more-often viewed/tapped than Phone, Email, Messaging, People, Calendar, and Me.

And then explain why you bought a WP7, because apparently it wasn't for the biggest draw of the OS: simplicity and relevant info up front. Categorizing belongs with Wall o' Apps.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Need and use are not the same. I have my Phone icon first. I hardly ever use the phone. But seeing that the main point of having a cell phone is to make calls, kinda important. The Me icon is second. It's suppose to be a central hub for everything coming into me that's integrated into the phone. It doesn't work as it should. The weather tile is next, it does it's purpose. I have the calendar tile, which is a wide tile. I never open it, but knowing the date and upcoming events is important. Email and messaging is next, they are important for me, but email is rarely used[Work]. I do text a lot though.

The main point is, I use the phone more to BS and waste time [social services]. I'm sure I open the twitter, FB, IM, and Instagram apps 100 times more than I open the actual phone tile. But those things are not important. So even though I do tweet more than I make phone calls, The twitter app isn't in my top eight.
Are you saying that the live tile you need to see the most is not among your top 8 tiles? The live tile you tap most is not among your top 8 tiles? Why on earth not?

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
You don't tap the Phone tile because it's already told you that you don't have any missed calls! That is when you scroll to Twitter. Top 8 is some mathematical function of most used / most important / most viewed.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So are we combining more important and more often used.

Ok here's ur list. I open linkedin more than I open the actual phone "app". I use IE more than I use the people hub. I use WPC more than I use the email hub. I use engadget more than I use the ME tile.

Jax, name 8 apps that are more important and more-often viewed/tapped than Phone, Email, Messaging, People, Calendar, and Me.

And then explain why you bought a WP7, because apparently it wasn't for the biggest draw of the OS: simplicity and relevant info up front. Categorizing belongs with Wall o' Apps.
Get of ya high horse. Thinking you "get it" and you know what other users want/need.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I open linkedin more than I open the actual phone "app". I use IE more than I use the people hub. I use WPC more than I use the email hub. I use engadget more than I use the ME tile.

No you do not. Looking at the tile is the same as using it. Once you see you don't have a missed call, email, or text, you go on to the BS stuff. That live tile is the purpose of the OS.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No, I'd rather apps that I deem "important" at the top, even if I don't use them as often. I can miss some tweets, IM's, FB notifications,... and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be important. But a missed call or a calendar event would be more detrimental.
You don't tap the Phone tile because it's already told you that you don't have any missed calls! That is when you scroll to Twitter. Top 8 is some mathematical function of most used / most important / most viewed.
I also have the People tile in my "top eight" for no other reason than the tile flips a lot.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone isn't supposed to have that many icons. Grouping things by type is for wall o' apps like iOS and Android. If your most used tiles aren't at the top, you're doing it wrong.
lol.

Its hillarious when someone says that another person is doing their personal Start Screen wrong. Imagine going to Baskin Robbins and trying to make your own Ice Cream and someone says, 'hey, your doing it wrong'.:lol:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Seeing a email icon on the lock screen or a missed call on the lock screen = not having to sit and look at tiles. Same with text messaging.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's only made more laughable when they state that they are using the phone the way MS intended them to use it. Seems like they would be more of the iPhone switchers who don't "get it" and are use to being told how to use their phone.
lol.

Its hillarious when someone says that another person is doing their personal Start Screen wrong. Imagine going to Baskin Robbins and trying to make your own Ice Cream and someone says, 'hey, your doing it wrong'.:lol:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Again, these blanket statements shouldn't be made. "For Android/iOS converts that don't get it?" I am a WM original, all the way back to when Android and iOS werent even a twinkle in their parents' eyes. (PPC2002->PPC2003->PPC2003SE->WM5->WM6->WP7)

Lets not knock how we use the start screen, I think the categories are professional looking.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just wish they would come out so I can get off of sprint and the evo and argue about tiles with the cool kids.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
ebsn, what are the top 8 live tiles on your start screen?

So far, mine and Jax' are practically identical, though somehow he disagrees with me.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My first "smartphone" was a motorola mpx 220 with WM SE. I was also at the WP7 table as a early adapter. IDK why he think's people are "android adn iOS" switchers.
Again, these blanket statements shouldn't be made. "For Android/iOS converts that don't get it?" I am a WM original, all the way back to when Android and iOS werent even a twinkle in their parents' eyes. (PPC2002->PPC2003->PPC2003SE->WM5->WM6->WP7)

Lets not knock how we use the start screen, I think the categories are professional looking.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree with what you have in your top eight. I just don't deem my top eight "most used". They are there because they are more important.

So far, mine and Jax' are practically identical, though somehow he disagrees with me.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't disagree with what you have in your top eight. I just don't deem my top eight "most used". They are there because they are more important.

Seeing a email icon on the lock screen or a missed call on the lock screen = not having to sit and look at tiles. Same with text messaging.

Do you not realize that if the Phone/Messaging/Email tiles were some static tiles that they would immediately jump to your most tapped tiles? Obviously, the lock screen would help, but just because you don't tap a tile doesn't mean you don't "use" it. That's the beauty of the OS. Fill up your top 8 with none of the core OS tiles and see how much you want to look at those core OS tiles. Now, why would you put any of those tiles into some inane categorizing system farther down your home screen?

Last edited:

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Phone (Text)
Phone Tile, Messaging Tile

People(Text)
Significant Other, People Hub, Aunts Group, Cousins Group

Productivity(Text)
Calendar,Office,Weather App

Web&Email (Text)
IE, & 3 Separate email tiles (because they are significat apart)

Media(Text)
Pictures Hub, Music&Videos, Vevo

Games(Text)
Xbox Hub, and Dalton: the awesome!!

Misc(Text)
Settings & 3Tiles

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How is the category insane? My phone tile wouldn't get used anymore. I don't shower with my phone, but I know when I've missed a call by not looking at it when it rings.
Do you not realize that if the Phone/Messaging/Email tiles were some static tiles that they would immediately jump to your most tapped tiles? Obviously, the lock screen would help, but just because you don't tap a tile doesn't mean you don't "use" it. That's the beauty of the OS. Fill up your top 8 with none of the core OS tiles and see how much you want to look at those core OS tiles. Now, why would you put any of those tiles into some inane categorizing system?
Categories [Home] phone, me [i hate this tile], calendar, messaging, weather, mail, people
[Social]Gleek, FB, metro.am, IM+,Linked, Marketplace, MISO, Song Tweet
[Web] IE, WPC, WMPU, Engadget, ESPN
[Media] Zune, SuperTube, MP3Tube, Noka Musi Picture
[Games] about eight games
[Contacts] four
[Misc] Random apps

Unless you remember exactly where your app is at and remember just the right swipe to use to get to it, I think groupy is handy.

The flow nonstop icons gets dull to me. So I use groupy to for a break up from time to time. I think goupy will be even better once WP7.8/8 is released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb