I am so ready with Nokia Android Phone

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
With all the apps I need with Nokia build quality that I love. Haters gonna hate.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I can just imagine what Nokia could do with a mature OS supporting all the latest hardware and their camera imaginations run wild, but personally I cant do android so i'll be watching from the sidelines.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Then you should love Foxconn build quality... the Nokia you will see in those new phone are just the name, the rest it's made by Foxconn.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Then you should love Foxconn build quality... the Nokia you will see in those new phone are just the name, the rest it's made by Foxconn.

Microsoft owns no PC manufacturing facilities yet the surface line is well regarded. Plus Nokia will control design and R&D so they will be true Nokia's where it counts.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
As someone who has owned a Nokia designed but Foxconn built Nokia N1 Android tablet, I probably have a slightly more unique perspective.

It was decent build quality but not premium by any stretch of the imagination. If the phone mimics the N1 then it will be decent but not great to go up against the likes of the S7/Note 7 or iPhone 7/7+ or even Pixel/XL.

Just my 2 cents!

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Has Nokia still got enough of their better employees, or have they potentially returned? I've been a Nokia lover for many, many years but I wouldn't assume that what they may get to produce now would be the equivalent of their trajectory, should they not have had interrupted production.

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Has Nokia still got enough of their better employees, or have they potentially returned? I've been a Nokia lover for many, many years but I wouldn't assume that what they may get to produce now would be the equivalent of their trajectory, should they not have had interrupted production.

This is not the Nokia as you know it. This is HMD Global (which is comprised of some ex-Nokia people) contracting with Foxconn to make the hardware and licensing the "NOKIA" name from the current Nokia (the telecom giant).

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This is not the Nokia as you know it. This is HMD Global (which is comprised of some ex-Nokia people) contracting with Foxconn to make the hardware and licensing the "NOKIA" name from the current Nokia (the telecom giant).

HMD is affiliated to Nokia Corp still and all the Nokia R&D is available for it to use, primarily the camera tech. With Juha Alakarhu also back to Nokia, expect a camera beast.

The answer to the question you?ve all been asking | Nokia

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
HMD is affiliated to Nokia Corp still and all the Nokia R&D is available for it to use, primarily the camera tech. With Juha Alakarhu also back to Nokia, expect a camera beast.

The answer to the question you?ve all been asking | Nokia

The business relationship between HMD and Nokia is a bit vague. I don't see anything publicly disseminated from either company regarding Nokia providing R&D assistance. The only information is about branding/design; do you happen to have some "additional" information? And Juha was brought to Nokia to work on OZO VR imaging. I don't think there will be any *new* R&D on phone camera technology since Nokia is out of that game. They are very careful about the wording in that press release.

My best guess is that if anything, existing PureView stuff will be given to HMD to ensure that the product carries on the Nokia name in a good light.

"giving HMD sole use of the Nokia brand on mobile phones and tablets worldwide for the next decade, and cellular standard essential patent licenses."

"HMD has conditionally agreed to acquire from Microsoft the rights to use the “Nokia” trademark on feature phones until 2024, and design rights relating to Microsoft’s Feature Phone Business"

"HMD announced today that it has conditionally agreed to acquire from Microsoft the rights to use the Nokia brand on feature phones, and certain related design rights. "

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I see a ton of dismissive, almost selective ignorance regarding present day Nokia on the web. These devices will be no less Nokia than iPhones are Apple. This isn't the same as the N1 tablet either. Nokia's HMD (an impressive group that includes "ex" Nokians) was formed well after the N1, and has explicitly said it would oversee design and quality control. This in addition to access to Nokia's extensive patent vault.

Those expecting cheap, ho-hum devices with nothing more than a Nokia logo on them are more likely the ones destined for disappointment.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
With all the apps I need with Nokia build quality that I love. Haters gonna hate.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Its nice to have all the Apps, but its also nice to have competition. It's very boring if all OEMs run the same operating system,

rinosaur

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Nokia has many many times said that they are not making phones just leasing out naming/design rights to "NOKIA". Nokia is a very lean (albeit huge) company now. Nokia Networks is the bread and butter and the focus for the next couple of years. They don't want to have ANY part in phone manufacturing, the margins now are just so poor. Nokia Technologies division is also unbelievably profitable; this is the division that collects royalties on IP. Nokia knows they still have brand equity in the devices sector and want to both profit on it and preserve it.

This is the most I see:

"Nokia Technologies will take a seat on the Board of Directors of HMD and set mandatory brand requirements and performance related provisions to ensure that all Nokia-branded products exemplify consumer expectations of Nokia devices, including quality, design and consumer focused innovation."

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I can just imagine what Nokia could do with a mature OS supporting all the latest hardware and their camera imaginations run wild, but personally I cant do android so i'll be watching from the sidelines.

I'll be honest. I'm not sure Nokia's edge in imaging is quite as large as some people think. Nokia's stuff is pretty solid, but then so is Samsung and Apple. Pretty much everyone these days has OIS, dual tone flash, laser focus, and other weird stuff. A couple of companies like Samsung has realized that a good camera doesn't rely so much on megapixels, but how the ones that are included are used. Also let's not forget Sony's sensor department...

If Nokia makes anything, it damn well better be solid. Even household names like Sony are struggling these days.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'll be honest. I'm not sure Nokia's edge in imaging is quite as large as some people think. Nokia's stuff is pretty solid, but then so is Samsung and Apple. Pretty much everyone these days has OIS, dual tone flash, laser focus, and other weird stuff. A couple of companies like Samsung has realized that a good camera doesn't rely so much on megapixels, but how the ones that are included are used. Also let's not forget Sony's sensor department...

If Nokia makes anything, it damn well better be solid. Even household names like Sony are struggling these days.

You have a point but remember that Nokia at the time was hampered by an OS that didn't support the latest hardware fully or in a timely fashion, see Lumia 1020. With an OS that supports the latest hardware Nokia can try out practically anything they want and while other OEM's have upped their game there's no arguing that Nokia has a history of innovation with imaging, just have to see what they can come up with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos