I don't understand how chat is supposed to work

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
How am I supposed to enable chat? I assumed if I select someone in the people hub, "chat" should come up along with text, email, etc. But it does not.

Apps like WhatsUp won't work for me because people I want to chat with would have to also have the app, correct? Every app I've looked at very few people I know also have it.

I'm very confused by what should be pretty simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
3rd party chat applications like WeChat, Whatsapp, GroupMe do not integrate into the people hub.

Apps like WeChat, Whatsapp, GroupMe when you install they look at your current contact list and list people who also have the app.

You have to be in the 3rd party app to chat to others. No integration in the People Hub yet. Let's see what happens later on.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
3rd party chat applications like WeChat, Whatsapp, GroupMe do not integrate into the people hub.

Apps like WeChat, Whatsapp, GroupMe when you install they look at your current contact list and list people who also have the app.

You have to be in the 3rd party app to chat to others. No integration in the People Hub yet. Let's see what happens later on.

So, it's what I thought.

Gotta say, that's the lamest thing about WP8

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
For now, the most efficient WP to WP chat is through messenger. (soon to be Skype)

It's in your text message area. There's a symbol on lower right to switch to chat instead of text messaging.

Eventually Skype will be integrated into the People Hub so that it does the same thing. It's replacing ms messenger

It would be nice if all chat apps integrated with the People Hub, but I could see how it could get complicated if more than one app tries to access the same chat service.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
For now, the most efficient WP to WP chat is through messenger. (soon to be Skype)

It's in your text message area. There's a symbol on lower right to switch to chat instead of text messaging.

Eventually Skype will be integrated into the People Hub so that it does the same thing. It's replacing ms messenger

It would be nice if all chat apps integrated with the People Hub, but I could see how it could get complicated if more than one app tries to access the same chat service.

Yeah, messenger is pretty pointless for me. I'm not on Facebook and that's all I see to sign up to chat with when I'm on Outlook.

BHFH

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So, it's what I thought.

Gotta say, that's the lamest thing about WP8

You can't put the blame wholly on Microsoft for the lack of integration. If the other company doesn't give permission (think youtube mess) their hands are tied.

You're right though, imagine if the people and messaging hubs can be extended like the lens apps for camera, now that would be awesome. All the social media integrated into one place.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can't put the blame wholly on Microsoft for the lack of integration. If the other company doesn't give permission (think youtube mess) their hands are tied.

You're right though, imagine if the people and messaging hubs can be extended like the lens apps for camera, now that would be awesome. All the social media integrated into one place.

But if there are apps, like IM +, that can have access, shouldn't Microsoft be able to do the same?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire