I feel like a heretic, outcast, or blasphemer because I like WP7

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
X-Phone sounds too corny and doesnt sound right. It would not make sense, especially for MS to have windows 8, windows 8 tablet, X-phone? wont work.

If they plan to integrate all together, it makes perfect sense to use the Windows Brand. I am glad they use the Windows name (although they shat on the name with windows mobile), it just makes sense to label another Operating System for mobile as Windows. The Windows brand is synonymous for Operating Systems and should keep it that way. The services on the other hand could use the XBox Branding.

I still like it.

Xbox
Xphone
Xos/Xos Tablet :)

This is supposed to be the new microsoft so it's okay. :p

In real life though, Windows is still THE money maker for MS so it makes sense to push it. Glad they went with Xbox though and not WindowsBox.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Why do you care what others think. The only thing that matters is what you think.

Of course what I think ultimately matters. Thats the reason why I have a windows phone. But some humans typically don't want their choice to be looked at like a dumb one when you know it isn't a dumb choice. You know what I mean? It's almost like people telling you water can put out a grease fire better than flour, when in my mind I know powder works better. Well that may not be a good analogy, but you get what I'm saying....I hope.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Umm.. I don't want to get off on a tangent here, but putting out a grease fire with flour is highly ineffective and dangerous. Flour if dispersed is actually flammable. Better to use baking soda. Ok, PSA done... ;-)

I still say find what works best for YOU and forget the others. Be that champion for something new.

My ONLY concern is if SO many people don't like it, it erodes marketshare to the point where MS, Nokia, HTC and everyone else just gives up on it. I would HATE to see that happen as I think it truly is the best of all worlds. Just needs to mature a little. I see the potential there.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Why do you care what others think. The only thing that matters is what you think.

Apple managed to get a lot of mindless idiots to buy their products so it ended up being successful. Sadly we need those mindless idiots with their wallets too. Much like in television, all the good shows get cancelled because most people watch the ****ty reality TV shows instead of actual good quality TV.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Although it's worthwhile to team up with a heretic every once in a while. :D

Master_Chief_and_Arbiter_by_Talik13.jpg

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Umm.. I don't want to get off on a tangent here, but putting out a grease fire with flour is highly ineffective and dangerous. Flour if dispersed is actually flammable. Better to use baking soda. Ok, PSA done... ;-)

I still say find what works best for YOU and forget the others. Be that champion for something new.

My ONLY concern is if SO many people don't like it, it erodes marketshare to the point where MS, Nokia, HTC and everyone else just gives up on it. I would HATE to see that happen as I think it truly is the best of all worlds. Just needs to mature a little. I see the potential there.

Dunno, why I put flour when I wanted to put baking soda. I put what I was thinkin' NOT to put on a grease fire. lol. Thanks for the follow up.

JR A

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Not to derail the thread even more, but in the name of safety...

Even baking soda (and the commonly viewed fire-ouster, corn starch) is actually flammable.

Take a scoop of baking soda or corn starch in your hand, and gently blow a whiff of baking soda/corn starch onto an open flame (like your stove) and see what happens. Those substances can burn (rather quickly) before even reaching the grease (source) of the fire.

Just use a fire extinguisher, and if the flame is small enough, suffocate it with a pot/pan (or even a lid if small enough) :)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Not to derail the thread even more, but in the name of safety...

Even baking soda (and the commonly viewed fire-ouster, corn starch) is actually flammable.

Take a scoop of baking soda or corn starch in your hand, and gently blow a whiff of baking soda/corn starch onto an open flame (like your stove) and see what happens. Those substances can burn (rather quickly) before even reaching the grease (source) of the fire.

Just use a fire extinguisher, and if the flame is small enough, suffocate it with a pot/pan (or even a lid if small enough) :)

Oh you thread derailing mutha******. LOL!!! I'm just going to stick to what I know and use baking soda or just try not to get in that situation at all. I have a kid on the way, so there's always that possibility.

But back on subject. I'm seriously going to look for a part time job with ATT to see about making a difference in my area for Windows Phones. They just aren't doing it right.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have Windows Phone. While I'm super happy with mine she doesn't like hers. She tells me that as soon as the iPhone 5 comes out she's going back. She really hasn't told me exactly why she doesn't like the phone but I think it has to do with all her friends having iPhones. It's like being part of a fraternity or cult. She feels left out. Again, she hasn't said so but then again she can't really point out to me why she doesn't like the phone. I wonder how many other people see their phone as some kind of social status symbol and are afraid of stepping away from what the cool kids have. As for me, I go with what I like. I have become a fan of Microsoft. Apple lost me when I installed iTunes on my computer and it screwed up all my music and I bricked my first iPod on its first fall. I guess many people have that kind of ill feeling towards Microsoft because of some bad experience they had using Windows. I know it's tough to go back to a company who's done you wrong (for me it's Apple, Sony, and Mitsubishi.) It's up to the companies to convince us that they are back on the right track. Microsoft needs to work harder at showing people that their products won't disappoint.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I was at a chamber of commerce event the day after they released the latest iPhone. The photog don't show up, so a guy volunteered to take a few shots. When he added "...with the new iPhone!" and pulled it out with a flourish, he got applause, and even a few "Woo's!"
It made me sick, but it also made me realize what a cult this iPhone thing is.

westwaswon

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
YES! Calling it a Windows Phone was so stupid! Everyone knows that Windows isn't seen as "cool," so who at Microsoft decided WINDOWS phone would sell...?

I think they should have called it Metro OS or Metro Phone. Then they could have like Metro Phone, Metro Desktop, Metro Tab/Slate to differentiate.

westwaswon

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have Windows Phone. While I'm super happy with mine she doesn't like hers. She tells me that as soon as the iPhone 5 comes out she's going back. She really hasn't told me exactly why she doesn't like the phone but I think it has to do with all her friends having iPhones. It's like being part of a fraternity or cult. She feels left out. Again, she hasn't said so but then again she can't really point out to me why she doesn't like the phone. I wonder how many other people see their phone as some kind of social status symbol and are afraid of stepping away from what the cool kids have. As for me, I go with what I like. I have become a fan of Microsoft. Apple lost me when I installed iTunes on my computer and it screwed up all my music and I bricked my first iPod on its first fall. I guess many people have that kind of ill feeling towards Microsoft because of some bad experience they had using Windows. I know it's tough to go back to a company who's done you wrong (for me it's Apple, Sony, and Mitsubishi.) It's up to the companies to convince us that they are back on the right track. Microsoft needs to work harder at showing people that their products won't disappoint.

That is why my brother won't leave the iPhone. Got the younger one to switch to WP7 and he loves it, but its too much of a status thing for my older bro. He thinks having an iPhone makes him seem techy without being techy. It is totally a status thing. But Apple, IMO, is the new Microsoft and Microsoft the now the cool up and comer with fresh ideas and a new outlook. Apple is now the sterile, assembly line device while Microsoft is back to the innovation that made them who they are.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Every iDevice user, feels like that. Part of the crowd, being trendy, and following everyone else. Feels like an outsider, not having the "Greatest and most amazing" device "ever". Everyone around here switched to an iPhone, even Android users switched. No one around here even remotely cares about WP, because they want iPhones and to be part of the "in" crowd. Once you step out of the circle, people take notice and reflect on the fact that you've made a "poor" choice. "ZOMG THE iPHONE IS THE BEST, WHY DID YOU SWITCH!?!?!" -_-

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I loved how the guy from the Verge made a comment about following the masses. And how 3 million new hipsters were created by signing up for it Tuesday when Facebook bought Instagram.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Earlier today, I chatted with a friend who has been interned at Google for a while, and is now in England for his internship. At some point, we got onto the topic of smart phones:

Intern said:
Speaking of which, I think between Android, Windows Phone and iOS, I think I want a Windows Phone. Which is bad because my intership is programming for Andorid...

That made me smile :3 (He didn't know I had a smart phone, so I did not influence his opinion)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
People tend to go with what they know. They go with popular decisions. IPhones have been proven throughout the years. They've had there issues, but for the most part they were fixed. The issue I hate is when people look at my/your decision to go windows like its crrraaaaazyyyyyy maaaaaaannnn. They could easily ask why and get a different take on the smartphone rather than cast it out as viable when they didn't try it yet. I read a blog the other day about this guy who hated the functionality of live tiles. He stated that you couldn't get certain updates offline. Duh, that's why it's called a live tile. Then he said its harder for developers to create live tiles because it required a server of some sort to have a live tile update. The guy was reaching so hard to hate a windows phone. Give me a break.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should do an experiment with WP7, like they did with Windows Vista, when they showed it to people and told them it was a new OS called "Mojave" to see how they liked it. Without the Vista name attached, the updated/fixed Vista was very popular, everyone liked it.

I'd love to see some "blind" test studies done. Just show people the phone, let them play with it. Don't tell them it's Microsoft or Windows, tell them is a new smartphone called XMetro or whatever you want. Then see how they like it after using it for a while.

I had to put some bias aside myself. I'm a long time Mac OS user, since long before Mac OS X... (I started with an Apple II+!) so the Microsoft knee jerk hate reaction was strongly ingrained for me.

Windows 7 was the first product that truly helped me put that aside. It's very well done, I still prefer Mac OS X to it, but it helped me see that Microsoft can make truly intuitive and well-designed software. I pretty much hated Windows XP and every version of Windows before it (and still do) but Windows 7 is a huge leap forward.

After trying out Androids and iPhone, I finally settled on an Android, which wound up being a terrible experience. All along, I kept playing around with the Windows phones in the store and almost every time, I kept coming back to them, I just liked the interface better, the keyboard and autocorrect worked better by far than any of the others and the Metro UI is so much easier on the eyes, it just looks like it's 2 generations ahead of the rest.

So I was leaning heavily towards a WP7. The thing that finally made my decision easy was seeing Nokia enter the picture with a beautiful phone (Lumia 900) that wasn't just a recycled Android, didn't look like another black slab with no personality. That combined with Microsoft and AT&T's renewed commitment to the platform gave the the confidence to jump in with both feet and so far, so good, I am very pleased with my choice.
:cool:

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Feel like an outcast? **** I love the idea of being different. Iphones have become common. I was at a coffee house last week and I swear that 90% of the people there were using iphones.

As far as comments I tend not to listen to anyone that starts a sentence with either "xxxx phone rocks" or "xxx phone sucks". When I got my Focus S my 25 year old niece said "dude you should have got an iphone". She never looked at my phone or asked me why I choose it. Oh and buy the way she made that comment without owning an iphone herself (she's with t-mobile). I'm sorry but I can't give those type of comments any credibility.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft should do an experiment with WP7, like they did with Windows Vista, when they showed it to people and told them it was a new OS called "Mojave" to see how they liked it. Without the Vista name attached, the updated/fixed Vista was very popular, everyone liked it.

I'd love to see some "blind" test studies done. Just show people the phone, let them play with it. Don't tell them it's Microsoft or Windows, tell them is a new smartphone called XMetro or whatever you want. Then see how they like it after using it for a while.

I had to put some bias aside myself. I'm a long time Mac OS user, since long before Mac OS X... (I started with an Apple II+!) so the Microsoft knee jerk hate reaction was strongly ingrained for me.

Windows 7 was the first product that truly helped me put that aside. It's very well done, I still prefer Mac OS X to it, but it helped me see that Microsoft can make truly intuitive and well-designed software. I pretty much hated Windows XP and every version of Windows before it (and still do) but Windows 7 is a huge leap forward.

After trying out Androids and iPhone, I finally settled on an Android, which wound up being a terrible experience. All along, I kept playing around with the Windows phones in the store and almost every time, I kept coming back to them, I just liked the interface better, the keyboard and autocorrect worked better by far than any of the others and the Metro UI is so much easier on the eyes, it just looks like it's 2 generations ahead of the rest.

So I was leaning heavily towards a WP7. The thing that finally made my decision easy was seeing Nokia enter the picture with a beautiful phone (Lumia 900) that wasn't just a recycled Android, didn't look like another black slab with no personality. That combined with Microsoft and AT&T's renewed commitment to the platform gave the the confidence to jump in with both feet and so far, so good, I am very pleased with my choice.
:cool:

Ok, so I thought it was me when I told my wife that I think the autocorrect is better than android. I think you put that to rest for me. Like it tends to know what i meant to say in relation to the words before and after it. the right option is always bold.

And it took me a while to convince my wife that WP7 is pretty nice. I must have went to 5 different stores and played with the WP7 phones 20 times before i got out of my verizon contract to get on AT&T and the Lumia 900. She's happy too. one thing she really likes is that it seems her contacts and calendars sync quicker and more reliable. thats important to her with our baby appointments and her job meetings.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I thought it was me when I told my wife that I think the autocorrect is better than android. I think you put that to rest for me. Like it tends to know what i meant to say in relation to the words before and after it. the right option is always bold.

The autocorrect is AMAZING IMO, as is the keyboard accuracy, which keeps you from needing the autocorrect nearly as often anyway.

I have had my phone for a week, and I can honestly say, I've never had a phone I could type this fast and accurately on. Not even my Blackberry with it's thumb keyboard.

What's more, in the whole week of using it so far, I haven't had autocorrect choose the wrong word even ONCE. It's so fast, it's virtually seamless, I barely even notice it replacing the word and so far anyway, it's gotten the correct word EVERY time without me having to pause to select it or even stop typing.

They've done the keyboard and autocorrect very, very well. No iPhone or Android or Blackberry I've used can match it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire