I have WP8.1 on my new Nokia but don't have Cortana

DeanBlakely

May 26, 2011
Visit site
EDIT - I may not have WP8.1 on my Nokia 929 because I now see that Settings -> about says I have windows phone 8.0. I thought I had 8.1 because of the new tiles design with more sizes and more rows but I guess that must just be a Nokia thing.
END EDIT
It looks like I have WP8.1 on the Nokia Lumiuna 929 I just got today, but when I hit the query button (bottom right) I just get a Bing page with the scout, music, and vision buttons - no Cortana.

Also, that Bing page doesn't slide to Videos, headlines, etc that my old HTC phone did

What's wrong?
Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That new Bing looks like it doesn't have those things.

Make sure these are in order:
Region
Language
Speech
in settings (set to US English)
Location has to be on.

Can you find Cortana in the settings or app list?

DeanBlakely

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you switched the Cortana on? Try to look at settings-applications-Cortana to see if the Cortana function is on.
"Cortana" is not listed under Settings -> applications. Just background tasks, data sense, games, intenet explorer, maps, messaging, music+videos, office, people, phone, photos+camera, search, store, and wallet.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
For speech make sure you downloaded the American English and make sure you move the English American keyboard above the English keyboard. Just because you tapped American keyboard doesn't mean to say you selected it. Hold down the English keyboard and select delete. The American English keyboard will now replace it giving you Cortana.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb