I just got my Surface/pro 2 and I ... (fill in the blank)

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Heavy gaming, CAD, photo editing, video editing, virtual machines, many web pages, etc. can all eat up RAM pretty quickly, especially if they're open/running simultaneously. Now why would anyone run all that stuff at the same time you ask? The answer for Surface Pro owners is simple: because you can :grin:.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Heavy gaming, CAD, photo editing, video editing, virtual machines, many web pages, etc. can all eat up RAM pretty quickly, especially if they're open/running simultaneously. Now why would anyone run all that stuff at the same time you ask? The answer for Surface Pro owners is simple: because you can :grin:.

Well, ya if you're overloading the system with that sort of multitasking then i could understand...but even my 8GB RAM PC would stutter under those conditions.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
2x Visual Studio Instances, Firefox with a less than hand full of tabs, Outlook, IM program, XBox Music or Zune, and 3 Modern UI apps running on the background. Easily consumes 3GB of RAM with Windows. That is today.2 years from now, things may change.

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine in yesterday. So far I'm impressed. It's tiny. SSD is phenomenally fast. Keyboard is better on a table than a lap (mainly due to my gut competing for space), and I need to find a better bluetooth mouse... But it's pretty impressive.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The screen size doesn't really allow too many resource hog programs going, but I run Corel Painter 12 which can use as much memory as you let it. Nominally I'd be running IE, some kind of music, and some kind of graphics program or One Note. I'm thinking 4GB is enough for me as a supplemental computer. I've definitely hit 4GB limit on older laptops when doing full stack web development with SQL Server, IIS, VS in addition to a web browser. However, I don't see myself doing much dev on the SP2 owing to the small screen so I should be ok.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
2x Visual Studio Instances, Firefox with a less than hand full of tabs, Outlook, IM program, XBox Music or Zune, and 3 Modern UI apps running on the background. Easily consumes 3GB of RAM with Windows. That is today.2 years from now, things may change.

Oh, forgot to mention... as this is Intel based GPU.. and not a dedicated one... Intel GPU uses your system RAM. So there is that to consider as well.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If thats the case im glad im a 1-2 tasks at a time, kinda guy...so the 4GB RAM is great for me while for others 8GB of RAM seems much more realistic.

Result = Me a happy camper, so im all good still =)

Others complaining, ouch...i want to say it without being rude but..."sucks to be you"? =P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty