I need to read something good about the L950XL... please?

shinji81

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I really need to know if people really like the phone.
I really love mine! The camera is amazing, the phone as well. Software wise there still some bug fixes to make (windows gello sometime stop working, but I guess that it is because of my company's email account settings) but I am patient and to be honeste, nothing really bother me too much. Who complains, does that only because he/she is too demanding. Never faced any of the issues described on this forum. Yes, the battery doesn't last for long but there is no smartphone that lasts for more than 15 hours if you use it. ;)

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I believe the issues were mainly with the software and the OS. Microsoft just came out with a firmware update that is supposed to fix a bunch of issues.

bicubu

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
IMO. This phone is solid and looks very premium. I bought it for my wife bz it has an awesome camera and most importantly it fast (she was using 1020 but it is so slow to shoot and focus on the camera). Whenever she hold the phone on her hand it looks so nice make me wanna buy one. The camera sometime not respond very well especially when you record video take 2-3 seconds to start. But for the price and you can get student discount in US this is a beast. I have been using continuum last couples day I really like the ideas but if more app available and MS can fix edge it would be an awesome feature that no phone can match.

Last edited:

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I love my 950XL.. Best phone I have ever had. It has every feature I could want on the phone, and for the screen size, it is very compact. I know there are some small glitches and features missing that should come with updates but I expected that. It looks sleek, ,the screen is beautiful, it never gets hot, the battery easily lasts all day and then some, Hello is fast and works great, the camera is amazing, and with the right case (I am using a dark blue semi transparent blue TPU case), it is a beautiful looking phone.

gorliver

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I love my lumia 950 xl definitely. The iris scanner is very cool, and camera is awesome. The flash light of the camera is the best. You can even light up the dark part in your photo by "choosing the best lighting" like editing RAW using PS. No phone is perfect. Some little flaw cannot stop you to enjoy the good part.

tooly26

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm enjoying my 950xl single sim too.
Great camera, the display is amazing, very fast, iris scanner is very cool, removal battery, sd card support.

ForVictori

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting for my Lumia 950 XL, but I'm worried because I'm reading only bad things about the phone.

Is the Lumia 950 XL the worse phone from Microsoft? or is it only the software?

I need to read something positive about the phone before cancel the order :(

Hardware is the best you can get. I think most of the complaints surrounds the software, which can be addressed via updates.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have now had my 1520 for a few months short of 3 year and will be changing carriers when my contract finally runs out, I plan to buy my phone and go with the carrier my daughter works for with large data allowance for not many pennies (Staff discount).

So my choice is 950 or 950 XL, given my 1520 ownership I am leaning to the XL but if I went 950 I could always give that to my wife to replace her 830 when "Maybe" a Surface phone appears some time in the future, but I doubt she would want an XL, so if I went the XL I would probably have it for at least 18 months/2years.

I like the idea of dual sim (Handy but not vital) and I like the idea of actually being able to surf the web with ease instead of fighting the screen (It's not been as bad as some have reported but you could notice it), I really like the idea of Continuum, and my plan is to go to just three devices, desktop, Surface Pro 3 and the phone, so ditching my Stream 7 and making more use of the phone.

So good to read some people like them, I am enjoying 10 on my 1520 so I shouldn't think I would see it working worst on a new phone.

Any opinions 950 v 950XL, as mentioned I do have a couple of months yet contract wise, but I can afford to buy the phone when I want

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for my Lumia 950 XL, but I'm worried because I'm reading only bad things about the phone.

I feel ya OP. Be mindful of two things:
1. where you go to get info about the 950 and 950XL
Trust me. There are conspirators, co-conspirators, flamers and flame wardens all over the place.
2. Reading information from those that attempt to straddle platforms and tell you what's good for you and what's not. Try to discern the difference as they are very easy to spot.

androidkin

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine on launch the physical Microsoft Store. Have had a few minor hiccups, but most have been resolved by the recent software updates. I get amazing battery life, I usually charge it every other day with light use.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I got mine on Black Friday at the Microsoft store. Had intended to get the 950, but hands-on, the XL fit me better, so I bought the last one in stock. And just LOVE it! The recent Insider update improved battery life. Camera is outstanding and the display impresses every single person I've shown it off to.
It doesn't overheat. It doesn't reboot when taking pictures. It's a material improvement over my 928 and is lighter, thinner and faster than my buddies LG V10.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I really like the 950XL and have been very pleasantly surprised by the service, voice quality and data speed with AT&T. Highly recommend both.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, now I'm desperately waiting for my phone ��

Don't be so nervous. Either you will love the phone or you will not like the phone. If you have problems you can always send it back and get replacement or a different phone. Good luck.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
If you have the stomach to read through the negative threads, you will begin to notice that it's many of the same people posting the same stuff over and over again and then talking about how great their new Android or whatever is. I've decided I'm not reading or responding to any of the negative threads anymore. They're not helpful to anyone who really might be having a problem. You'll love your phone.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If you have the stomach to read through the negative threads, you will begin to notice that it's many of the same people posting the same stuff over and over again and then talking about how great their new Android or whatever is. I've decided I'm not reading or responding to any of the negative threads anymore. They're not helpful to anyone who really might be having a problem. You'll love your phone.

LOL

It's true. Many of them are all long time "complainers" on here. Conspiracy?

Either way, my 950 works perfect. Another poster (forgot who) brought up that there are at least 2 different firmware's that the 950 was released with (mine being the latest, the earliest having all the issues) - I wonder if the 950 XL is in a similar situation with firmware maybe being the cause of problems.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

You can read my overall positive Review here :wink:

Oh, after almost 1 month usage, and answering the major internet "Bads", I can say:

• Squeaks/Creaks: Except for first 2-3 days where I ejected/reinsterted the back cover several times (to switch SIM, microSD, and so on), the back cover do NOT creak anymore. Solid, and silent. I assume flexible (=more resistent) polycarbonate needs some time to re-adapt once the cover is removed and brought back in place;
  • OS Reboots/Bugs/Stability: Once I picked up the phone the first time, I immediately Hard-Reset it before doing anything. Set it up, immediately received .29 update and then latest Firmware update when available. And now: NO more Reboots (ever), Battery last 1 and a half day with moderate usage, all is smooth like butter, and no major issues (once in 2-3 days Windows Hello stops working, but a reboot fixes it. That's why Windows Hello still has a "Beta" tag in settings anyway). Still waiting for .36 update (no Insider), so it will further improve the already solid experience right now;
  • Build quality: "Plastic" back cover does NOT feel cheap at all. It's grippy, solid, elegant, good feeling in hand, with classy metal ring around camera, Windows logo and metal buttons. It TURNS people head around when you call, and Windows Hello shocks 100% of people I showed it;
  • App Gap: Really? For Mail and Calendar there is new Outlook; for browsing there is new Edge; for news and weather there are new MSN News and Weather; for YT there is myTube! (best YT clients on any platform, and it is a real UWA on my Surface Pro 3 too); for RSS/Feedly there is NextGen Reader; Twitter is there; new Facebook is there; Skype is integrated in new Messages; FB Messenger is there; Whatsapp is there; for Reddit new UWA Baconit is there; new Maps is there (Here Maps + Bing Maps got married); new UWA Xbox app is there; new real UWA Office suite is there; File Explorer is there; Bing translate is there; best Camera is there; unique Continuum Experience is there; Uber, TripAdvisor, Amazon, eBay, and most used apps are there and got updated. What is "App Gap"? What do you really need that is not available? Not having Snapchat, Google inferior and spyware apps and some ****ty Freemium games? C'mon... :)

If you liked previous Lumia, if you like Surface 3/4 lines, if you're "all in" with new Microsoft Ecosystem, go buy this phone now and you won't regret it.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the Lumia 950 XL for one month now and have not had any major problems: no restarts, no camera issues, no video issues, no heat problems, no email problems, no Bluetooth issues. I haven't used Continuum yet.
When I read about some other people's experiences I worry the phone will start screwing up but so far it's great.

The disappointments:
- The back cover creaked some until I did the "post-it note" fix suggested on Windows Central. It is fine now.
- I find the speaker is too tinny for conference calls so I use a Bluetooth speaker.
- My workout app, GymAce, is slow to respond when entering data. This is obviously specific to this app but I haven't found an app I like better.
- Hello can be hit or miss, especially if you use it while walking.
- Cortana doesn't always connect to Band 2, although this could be a Band problem.
- I think I've run into my first app problem. I got a Amazon Echo for Christmas and there is no Windows app. I haven't found a work around yet and I used my iPad to set up the Echo.

The pleasant surprises:
- Unlike some other users, the 950 XL experience seems as solid as my Android phone
- Cortana works well, much better than Google Now through my car's Bluetooth
- Battery life is good and I've yet to not go a full day on a charge
- Groove Music has not glitched once
- Camera takes great photos, which shouldn't be a surprise but it is a much nicer experience than my Android phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124