I really wish I could come back to Windows Phone, but I can't. Damn you Pebble!

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 920 in mid 2013 and instantly fell in love with Windows Phone. I had been using Windows 8 since to Preview stages and loved the Metro interface. I thought WP was even cooler. I LOVED my time with my 920. By mid 2014 I felt like it was time to upgrade. My 920 hadn't exactly been cutting edge when I bought it, but it was the newest flagship WP available in my country at the time. I started looking into the newer offerings. The 1020 is a camera beast of course, but aside from that, its basically to same phone as the 920. I found the 1520 to be awesome, but too big.

In the end, I decided to compromise, and went with an Android and got an LG G2. The G2 also has a great camera, and it was top self for that time. However, I've never loved Android. I had a Galaxy before my 920 and I've used Android tablets. Android is OK. But I don't love it. I LOVED Windows Phone.

Now, here's where things get complicated.

I work in education, and we're not allowed to use our phones at work. I was missing a lot of communication with my wife. So I picked up a Pebble watch online. The Pebble changed my tech life. I now never miss any messages. My phone can live in my backpack most of the time and my wife is much happier.

But I left using this phone that I don't really love at all. Don't get me wrong, I know this is a classic 1st world problem. I know my G2 is an awesome device full of all kinds of tricks. The camera is great. I still don't really like it though. I want to go back to Windows Phone.

I still have had my 920 sitting in a drawer. I gave it to my 15yo son for his birthday, his first smartphone.

But it hurt me inside to part with it. I loved that thing.

I wish so badly that I could forgo to Pebble and go back to WP, but I can't and I won't. The Pebble has become integral to my communication system.

I was excited when the Microsoft Band dropped. For 5 minutes. Then I realized, US only. Ugly. Poor ergonomics. I still wanted to see if I could get one. $400 AUD to get one.

I just read the big expose on the Microsoft/Pebble relationship, or non-relationship. It really got me down. I have been hoping for so long that they might relent and finally support WP. Maybe with Windows 10? No. It's never going to happen.

So I'm stuck. Trapped by how great this accessory is. I will not go without it. But I miss Windows Phone. Almost every time I use my G2 for a prolonged period, I get irritated by Android. But I have no choice now. I can't come back because there's no viable Smartwatch option, and I now consider that a need.

I really wish I could come back to Windows Phone.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I usually have something smarta$$ to say, but ...

This is a legitimate problem / issue hampering adoption. Usually it's an app that the user can't be without. My work email has a (secure) app for iOS & Android, with no thoughts / plans to support Windows phone.

Satya Nadella / Joe Belfiore / Gabe Aul need to address this issue - I know it's chicken / egg, but the Windows mobile adoption has really tanked & I too, love Windows Phone. How many users are out there in this same predicament ...

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. MWC is going to be interesting to see what all the Windows phones flagships will be available to us in the first and second qtr of year...........oh wait....

In the meantime I'm going to check out the excitement that is HTC One M9 when it's announced.

If nothing exciting comes this year for Windows, its hello HTC/LG flagship phone.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
yes I did...still...if you are at work no phone allowed... that's clearly your employer doesn't want their employees on the phone...it would be the same with watches...

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
yes I did...still...if you are at work no phone allowed... that's clearly your employer doesn't want their employees on the phone...it would be the same with watches...

No, you really didn't. Either that or you're just trying to agitate.

It is the quickest, simplest thing to read a text on the Pebble. My wife is a stay home mum. She suffers from depression, and she sends me dozens of messages throughout a day. She KNOWS I cant reply to them, that's not the point.

I'm a forgetful guy. With my 920, I would set it to silent, put it in my backpack and forget about it. I might not remember to check it until I was on the bus home. ANd then realize that I've missed piles of messages (e.g: "please get some milk we're all out). That kind of thing can get a man in trouble.

That's a non-issue now. I get EVERY message.

I wish I could have that on Windows Phone.

It's important to remember that everyone has different needs from their technology. Just because a persons needs are different, or because you don't understand them, doesn't give you the right to be a jerk about it.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just sell the pebble and get a Band.

SO, you didn't read my post either?

As I stated: I don't live in the US. The Band isn't available here. To import one I'm looking at $400AUD, which is ridiculous.

Plus, the Band is in many ways a downgrade from my Pebble. My Pebble's battery lasts 7-10 days. It is totally visible in direct sunlight. And it looks better than the Band.

Still, even with that said, I'd buy a Band if Microsoft saw fit to sell it in my country and for a reasonable price. But they don't.

So I'm stuck.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
SO, you didn't read my post either?

As I stated: I don't live in the US. The Band isn't available here. To import one I'm looking at $400AUD, which is ridiculous.

Plus, the Band is in many ways a downgrade from my Pebble. My Pebble's battery lasts 7-10 days. It is totally visible in direct sunlight. And it looks better than the Band.

Still, even with that said, I'd buy a Band if Microsoft saw fit to sell it in my country and for a reasonable price. But they don't.

So I'm stuck.
I just read the title. I do not have the time to sit here and read every word that people write. It would be awesome if people would learn how to get to the point without writing a novel. Regardless, If you can't get a band, there are still many other options. Pebble doesn't own your soul, at least I hope not.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
There are no watches that support WP for sale in Australia as far as I know.

And if there were, they would have to be as good as the Pebble. And right now, nothing is. Android Wear is available here, but its crappy. And the Microsoft Band isn't here.

I'm using a device that lasts a week+ on a charge, there is no way I'm replacing it with something that last 1-2 days.

Whether its the Pebble, or some other essential accessory, this is Windows Phone's greatest weakness. Like many others, I have what I consider to be an essential accessory, and I can't use it on Windows Phone. So no matter how much I love WP (which I do), I can't come back.

Its VERY frustrating.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
No. You can't read your messages on the watch. That is a deal breaker. I need that.

It seems to only do phone and text. Pebble does those + Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and emails and others. I refuse to lose functionality.

Plus it costs $360 in Australia. The Pebble was $99.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786