I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on my HTC One M8 - Any questions?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Best thing to do is wait for Microsoft to open the Insider program for the M8. You probably won't have to wait long, but this would be my advice.
You risk bricking your phone with no way to properly revert back to Windows 8.1 if you mess around with hacks.

osumorris2315

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE.. I installed this because I have a couple backup phones I like. Would not recommend it. I am having a lot more freezing that can only be fixed with a soft reset. Also LTE is not working properly. I'll let you know if I run into any more problems.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I figured that I should also provide an update on my experience.
First off: The exploit that we used to get this onto our devices has been patched and is no longer available - so you will need to wait until the TP officially supports the M8 or until another one is found. I also installed it since I have multiple devices to play with and I wanted to see if the apps I am working on will work properly with 10, funnily enough there are some layout quirks that I need to address that weren't present on 8.1

The M8 running the TP is mostly stable; I have had one instance of the phone just rebooting itself and two instances where I received a notification and the screen would not turn on. A soft reset resolved this both times.

I am not having any issues with LTE or Data not working properly, however I am having issues with the phone getting VERY hot while using Internet Explorer or watching any streaming video (Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc). The increased heat obviously indicates the processor is working hard and getting hot, which causes battery life to drop significantly. I am still able to make it through the day without ever worrying about the charge on the phone, but it isn't as good as it was with 8.1 (which makes sense, unoptimized OS and Firmware that isn't talking between the Hardware and Software properly)

The always-on navigation bar doesn't bother me too much anymore, however I think that it is causing some layout issues. The Action Center shows the bottom of the second row of toggles even when the toggles are collapsed, the hamburger menu for the Photos app is NOT in the right place (it actually clips over some text and the top left picture since it is not in the top app bar like it should be), and some UI content is cut off in apps that don't properly scale or implement a ScrollViewer (This is true in 8.1 too, but you could hide the bar)

I also cannot use quick reply to reply to a text from the toast notification, however I can use the quick reply from the Action Center. I cannot utilize the start screen backgrounds (the 730 is having this issue as well as not being able to hide the nav bar)

This is also another known issue, but syncing with the Microsoft Band isn't very reliable and has a lot of issues. I'm still getting all of my notifications, but I can't sync my data to or from the Health App and cannot update the band using the M8 since it can't sync with the band to determine if it needs an update

All of this, and more, has been submitted to the Insider Feedback app already and I'd imagine is probably already fixed in the newest build whenever it decides to release. I'll continue to provide feedback through the app and answer questions here, so long as those questions aren't "How do I install this on my M8?"

Last edited:

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the One M8 but picked up a 635 ATT gophone to put windows 10 on, glad its working for you, I didn't want to mess with my primary phone. (not that I could have)

This plan for w10 uniform from PC to phone is something I've wanted for a while.

Last edited:

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Looks like we wont be offically supported in the next build either. It is going to be a bit harder to upgrade now since the fiddler hack is no longer working

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah definitely disappointed that the list didn't contain the M8, however that doesn't mean that we don't still have a chance. Since it isn't on the list, they have obviously identified some bugs - once they fix those up I'm sure they'll put it on the list. It may happen before the next build, and it may not. Either way, curious to see what the latest build will bring to all of the supported devices and hoping to see the M8 get it soon.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
If anyone was curious, today's update to the HTC Dot View App did NOT make it magically start working with Windows 10. There are underlying issues with the OS and Permissions I believe that are preventing OEM apps from working properly. Hopefully, this will be addressed in one of the upcoming builds.

Last edited:

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Today's update doesn't support the One. However, from reading Gabe's responses on Twitter it seems that any devices that used the hack to get the update before aren't able to get this update without rolling back to 8.1 and enrolling through the Insider App. Since the recovery tool doesn't support the One yet and the One is supported yet, we have to wait

Glance is working on my 830, so I imagine that the HTC system apps will probably work once it's supported

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I gave it a spin on my old 920, and I have to say we are seriously not missing anything. Well, unless you want to chart WP's slow march to being just like Android with tiles and less apps that is. The bugs and inoperability offset any new additions by far.

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
hmm okay, just tempted to try to get it on the one. I managed to get the fast ring configuration update yesterday and then changed all device settings via registry editor, but cant seem to get it to update for me.

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
so..... after continuing to try, I have finally downloaded it and installed it. Currently the only major issue I have encountered is once the screen turns off you can not turn it back on via the power button. You have to do a force reboot(soft boot) in order to get it to turn back on.

As we speak I am doing a hard reset in hopes that it resolves the issue.

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Just to update everyone after the hard reset the phone is working great. I have not had any issues but will keep you updated with any major bugs I encounter

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Just to let everyone know after hours on windows 10 with no issues I rebooted my phone and now have no touch working. I had to revert back to windows 8.1

starsoccer9

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
It is quite easy to revert. Surprisingly alot easier then it was to install windows 10 lol. It is just a matter of putting it into bootloader mode and using a desktop to reflash it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786