If the PS5 Pro (and sparkly Xbox Series X) price is the new normal, I'll be done with console gaming after more than 30 years

fatpunkslim

Feb 3, 2024
Visit site
the problem isn't even the PS5 pro price in fact, it's that it's simply not worth it, this price is not justified and without a reader and without a base. It's just a scam, don't look any further. They just want to line their pockets by brainwashing their fan base with a lot of lying marketing (propaganda?). The difference is marginal in games, and almost no third-party publisher is going to take the trouble to develop specifically for this mid-gen console which will sell very little. In terms of game catalog, it's probably the worst generation of PlayStation in terms of first party games, especially remakes, 1.5 sequels and a turn towards catastrophic service games like Concord (even Helldivers 2 which is a third party game I specify is out of breath).

I really don't see what justifies staying with PlayStation, they go too far with their prices for no real added value in the end, 98% of the catalog is identical on Xbox and on PC we have everything. Paid updates, overpriced DLC and remake, PSVR2 a big flop that is no longer followed. Playstation doesn't care about players, for them we're just cash cows!

Personally, I switched to Xbox and PC, and I'm very happy with it, it's a much healthier ecosystem, the rare PS exclusives arrive on PC anyway. No more need to be milked like this !

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i own an xbox 360, and a friend gave me an xbox one.
i have no need for xbox series c,s or x either.

never owned a sony machine, ever. never saw the need for one,
and not impressed with their machines.

that said, sony is still crushing microsoft in console sales.

it doesn't matter what price it is. so what if this the pro version,
the ps4 pro sold too. as long as a small amount of people buy it,
it will do fine.

all the consoles are going digital only, so there's no real loss in the disk drive.

i own a gaming pc, (with a nvidia 3090), but rarely ever game on it. to me its not much better than the console games (i don't play fps or anything that needs heavy duty graphics). its used more for rendering video and other programs like AI.

--
back to console prices, yes, they keep going up, but thats only normal.
some people only want to play games without the hassle, so they won't switch to the pc.

and also some want a machine to easily connect to their tvs. they dont' know how to hook up their pcs, and don't want all the wires and clutter.

so just telling them to switch to a portable machine (which i would never do), or a pc isn't going to work.

the ps5 pro will do fine, because there are people that want the marginal improvements anyways at any cost.

as long as their are other console options and prices, people will still continue to buy consoles.

Last edited:

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
There are two different points to consider: price and value.
Price has gone up this generation vs previous generations but we're also looking at 21.6% inflation since 2020.

This means that a $499 purchase in 2020 is worth $606 in 2024.
So the sparkly XS Is actually offering an extra terabyte of storage for the same (inflation adjusted) price as the launch edition and the 1TB launch edition at $499 in 2024 dollars is costing $410 in 2020 dollars.

The same exercise on the Pro raises the question of whether the $800 Pro offers $200 more value than the launch PS5 with drive and stand at $499 (2020 dollars)/$599 (2024 dollars).

Inflation matters and is not going away.

So, like it or not, come 2026 the next XBOX may very well cost $599 at which point the real question will be what do you get for $599 in 2026 dollars.

Just bear in mind that PC prices are also subject to inflation.

Last edited:

Tim_The_Enchanter

Sep 12, 2024
Visit site
I'm done. I bought into the hype of this generation, and I'm massively disappointed and regret buying both XSX and PS5. The consoles themselves are fine, hardware-wise, it's the software catalog that's a complete joke. That Sony wants us to pay $700 for the Pro, with no optical drive, no stand, and nothing to play... I'm all set with consoles. Everything started going downhill in 2013. Xbox and 360 were fantastic consoles. PS1-PS2 are legendary. I may buy the next Nintendo console, but MS and Sony can gargle-blast my plum sack, and tongue-punch my starfish.

• Haha
Reactions: HelloNNNewman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim_The_Enchanter