If you're having battery issues, overheating, "Resuming.." or delayed power button wakes, try these!

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you're having battery issues, overheating or delayed power button wakes, try these!

It worked am see some increased battery life on my 925 and less heating issues

Roko Khongsai

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: If you're having battery issues, overheating or delayed power button wakes, try these!

I hope this fixes the resuming and loading issues. Keep posting.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
(hey, looks like the thread's kinda taking off!)
I tried solutions 1 and 4, and all that I can say is so far so good, no overheating, I see and improvement in battery life and the power button haven't had any delays
My icon is working like a charm right now
Very glad to hear a Lumia Icon user chime in on this. I didn't know about any of this when I had an Icon and immediately started having what if moments once I started seeing these solutions work... regardless, it's great to know that it does take care of the problems that made it unusable for me.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I had one day where my 930 got really hot; thanks to this thread, I'm able to know potential causes and their fixes.

Sosinondodrore

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

With solution #1, do you mean opening all apps and games and keep it in the background?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

With solution #1, do you mean opening all apps and games and keep it in the background?
Nah, just opening them up to basically initialize the app... so creating the account if it's a social network app, making a save in a game... that kind of thing.

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the tips...worth a try.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I have never experienced the Cortana Live Tile on the Start Screen issue. I have a Lumia 920 on AT&T.

But I just wanted to add that I definitely noticed a significant battery drain when having Battery Saver both turned On and allowed to run in the background. I now have Battery Saver completely disabled and battery life is normal, for a 920 anyway. Really hope MS comes up with a fix for Battery Saver soon!

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I opened every app and noticed things like travel had never been initialised after a hard reset...
Saying that.. Next day I'm still getting naff battery and have deleted most games.
I've unpinned Cortana...
I'll try the turning of battery saver as I just presumed that was the action at 20% and nothing else.
Facebook Beta seems to kill battery even if I browse for 5 mins then nothing.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Well the only possible and logical solution for me was #1. Cause when I think about it, when I updated my phone it install all apps over again and lot of them I didnt opened since then. I opened all of them and my phone is faster then ever ! (using L925) No more "resuming". Thank you

Inocencio Sanchez

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
This is so true I've done all of that before during my wp8.0 vrsion now that I'm with wp8.1.1 its superb..now ur battery will now last till the following day even while using it every min.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Updated with a 5th solution... that one's just for the people with the ever-so-annoying "Resuming..." bug.

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you're having battery issues, overheating, "Resuming.." or delayed power button wakes, try th

I'm basically compiling some interesting stuff I've found hunting through these boards because it appears every Windows Phone I've upgraded to the 8.1DP (except the 520, strangely) has been getting issues that make it impossible to use. On my Lumia Icon, it would overheat and the power button would start having 3-9 seconds of delay when on WiFi. Using diagnostics I must've sent at LEAST fifty error reports with nothing being fixed... but there are some very helpful people I've run into here and there that gave me solutions that I'd like to share.

Solution #1: Open EVERY App Installed On Your Phone
From what I understand, apps do need to be initialized so that they don't cause problems. It sounds illogical that people would have apps installed that they haven't even used once, but the user response for this has been too much to ignore. While this wasn't a solve-all solution, it made the situation much more bearable when I had my Lumia Icon.

Solution #2: Unpin Cortana's Live Tile From Your Start Screen
Unpinning Cortana was something I first heard of from the user Kurtis Fox in this thread. I'm not exactly sure how the Cortana live tile has anything to do with it, but the moment I unpinned it, my 1520 stopped idle-overheat-battery-draining, and the indefinite "Loading...","Resuming..." that occurred after unlocking stopped as well! After so many people told me it was due to low reception areas I was overjoyed to find that was not the case. Regardless of signal, my phone's been staying cool to the touch until I decide to game on it. I halfway wish I still had my Lumia Icon so I could see if this solved the daily overheating I had.

Solution #3: Block The Background Process For All Games By "Gameloft"
Gameloft; while once being humble copy-cat artists, have turned into the exact kind of poison that can make your phone unusable. Even though they take IAP way too far, they spit out a quality game every now and then... but at the same time they are the absolute worst about murdering your battery with non-stop toast notifications and heavy background processes. Go into battery saver and make sure nothing by this publisher is allowed to run in the background.

Solution #4: Assure none of your email accounts' refresh is set to "based on my usage"
This option is a gargantuan battery monger, and has two different ways in which it can wreck havoc on your device. Go into your settings, email+accounts and set the drop down menus for both "Download new email" and "Sync contacts and calendar" to something (ANYTHING!!!) other than based on my usage. I prefer to have mine set to "every 2 hours" and it works swell for me.

Solution #5: Set Up "Kid's Corner"
This is especially helpful if you unlock your device and are treated to a screen that says "Resuming..." very often. This basically resets your lock screen and gets rid of whatever cached data is causing your device to be constantly bludgeoning you with screens that take away from the super-fast, snappy and responsive nature of WP8.1. Swipe down to access your notification bar, tap "All Settings," then scroll down until you see "Kid's Corner". Go through the process of setting it up with a couple apps just to establish it. Test to assure it's been setup properly, then you can go right back into your settings and turn if off if you so desire. This should; at the very least, cut down the amount (if not totally eliminate) the "Resuming..." / "Loading..." screens

...any more tips will be added with due credit. I'll try to keep it visible (possibly even get it stickied?).

This is just amazing man.. Thanks a lot. Solution 2 has made magic in my phone.. No loading/resuming in between..
My 620 is back on track.. Mich much faster in between switching apps.. I cant see loading/resuming in my 620 for past half an hour.. About battery performance i will check and tell..
I have pinned cortana as a medium tile. Should i remove it completely.. I think only wide tile is causing problem.
On Cyan + Update 1..
Once again thanks a lot.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: If you're having battery issues, overheating, "Resuming.." or delayed power button wakes, try th

This is just amazing man.. Thanks a lot. Solution 2 has made magic in my phone.. No loading/resuming in between..
My 620 is back on track.. Mich much faster in between switching apps.. I cant see loading/resuming in my 620 for past half an hour.. About battery performance i will check and tell..
I have pinned cortana as a medium tile. Should i remove it completely.. I think only wide tile is causing problem.
On Cyan + Update 1..
Once again thanks a lot.
I personally just removed it, but resizing may do the trick too.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Strangely enough these steps seems to have improved battery life on the 810. Just 2 days into the test so far...

Edit :
Just wanted to post the fantasy numbers for battery life listed in the spec sheet for the 810.

- Stand-by Up to 400 h (2G) / Up to 360 h (3G)
- Talk time Up to 10 h 20 min (2G) / Up to 10 h 10 min (3G)
- Music play Up to 54 h

What were they smoking while coming up with those numbers? My old Nokia flip-phone performed like that.
The 810 is nowhere near that. Before trying these steps the average discharge rate was about 3-4% an hour (measured with Insider).

anon(8171782)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Seems like a good way to start,since I have try everything and non is working at the moment.

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I don't know where to post this but my 520 is acting crazy it selects the tiles or may be if I am browsing by itself I have tried removing the screen guard plus changing the sensitivity and also hard reset the phone but no luck can anyone help

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Battery says 13 hrs I am running cyan with GDR 1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatboy7000