If you've been on insider program/W10M for months, do you remember what 8.1 was like?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I for sure can't remember how 8.1 looked like for settings or layout or anything else. Only thing I do know for sure is that word flow was 2 times better than current W10M version

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
I for sure can't remember how 8.1 looked like for settings or layout or anything else. Only thing I do know for sure is that word flow was 2 times better than current W10M version

My sentiments exactly!

I remember loving word flow in wp8.1 - and hate the utterly stupid predictions in w10 every single day: Capital letters in the middle of the sentence, the most esoteric words as suggestions and bloody common ones don't show up, word flow suggests words that don't even start with the letter I was clearly starting with (and yes, you can tell because of the blue stroke) and and and. It simply doesn't work (in German that is).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My sentiments exactly!

I remember loving word flow in wp8.1 - and hate the utterly stupid predictions in w10 every single day: Capital letters in the middle of the sentence, the most esoteric words as suggestions and bloody common ones don't show up, word flow suggests words that don't even start with the letter I was clearly starting with (and yes, you can tell because of the blue stroke) and and and. It simply doesn't work (in German that is).

from my observations I think the letters the word flow starts with are slightly shifted to the right. When I'm writing "gave" it thinks it's "have"

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Capital letters in the middle of the sentence, the most esoteric words as suggestions and bloody common ones don't show up, word flow suggests words that don't even start with the letter I was clearly starting with (and yes, you can tell because of the blue stroke) and and and. It simply doesn't work (in German that is).

Agreed, in American English as well. It needs work, but Microsoft has stated they have "heard our feedback" about this and are working hard to improve the experience for us. I certainly hope the final Anniversary release will be much improved.

As far as remembering what WP8.1 was like, I've got a 640 that I use for Insider. It's my primary phone (I have a backup just in case something goes wrong), and I'm loving the Redstone builds. Today, someone with a 640 asked me to help them with how to do something. They were still on 8.1, and I didn't know where the settings were. It was like, "I don't know how this phone works!"

Yeah, it's changed a lot, and after looking at 8.1 again, I just don't ever want to go back. I'm to the point where I usually "speak" most of my text from the microphone icon on the keyboard instead of actually typing. I've gotten very good and making that work, and it's a lot faster and more accurate than word flow.

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

To be honest, how could you forget the ability to go between Back and Next on IE11 by simply swiping to the left and right? And also the beautiful screenshot on every pinned webpages.....

Not to mention the people hub got a distinct square avatar for everyone that match the design language of the UI itself..... Plus all the social networking integration... Plus the infamous ME tile.......

But yes, I agree with you that wordflow keyboard was way way more sophisticate back in 8.1.....

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, how could you forget the ability to go between Back and Next on IE11 by simply swiping to the left and right? And also the beautiful screenshot on every pinned webpages.....

Not to mention the people hub got a distinct square avatar for everyone that match the design language of the UI itself..... Plus all the social networking integration... Plus the infamous ME tile.......

But yes, I agree with you that wordflow keyboard was way way more sophisticate back in 8.1.....

I used and still use UC browser so I have no idea how IE11 worked. never pinned any page for that matter

I do remember the square images, those were much better. Didn't do any social network integration. Me tile?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
As you can see by my avatar, I actually like the circles better. :p Yeah, I'm trying to start a fight. LOL I know how sensitive that issue can be around here. ;)
A simple "Squares/Circles" toggle switch in settings would satisfy everyone. Except those who want triangles or other shapes.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A simple "Squares/Circles" toggle switch in settings would satisfy everyone. Except those who want triangles or other shapes.

Trapezoid much? Can we fit our circles into a crystalline solid?

It hasn't been that long and 8.1 is fading...

I do know that hold on the symbol key to shift the keyboard and swipe one symbol, then revert to abc is sorely missed by yours truly.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I was hoping for parallelograms. All that time having to learn so many shapes for math in school, and we only get choices of squares and circles. (sigh). Now I can't even get parallelograms to help me with my taxes.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

I shrink it down so it doesn't show circles or squares ............ such a small thing would never concern me, I'm more concerned about performance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)