In Windows 9 please let us Pin Live Tiles for apps on the DESKTOP SCREEN

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I would love to be able to pin Live Tiles of any of my apps on my desktop. This would make desktop mode so much more powerful.

MetroSideBar does a good job trying but I would like to pin anywhere on my desktop screen and make the tiles as big as I want. This would be very effective for RSS news, Mail, Calendar, Sport updates and etc, instead of having to go to that stupid start screen.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
thanks, i just find it extremely annoying to have to go 2 different screens. Most people on the computer use ONLY desktop mode (i have a touch screen laptop and I still only use desktop). Let us be productive by seeing stuff we want on our homescreen.

maxkle25

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would not prefer this. Live Tiles in the startmenu would be the better choice. You can see this with just on tap and you dont have to search them on the big screen.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I would not prefer this. Live Tiles in the startmenu would be the better choice.

I personally would have little to no use for these widget-style Live Tiles on the deskop but have no objection to the idea itself. Having the ability to pin Live Tiles to the desktop would not in any way disable support for them in the new Start Menu. The two need not be mutually exclusive.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I personally would have little to no use for these widget-style Live Tiles on the deskop but have no objection to the idea itself. Having the ability to pin Live Tiles to the desktop would not in any way disable support for them in the new Start Menu. The two need not be mutually exclusive.

I would not prefer this. Live Tiles in the startmenu would be the better choice. You can see this with just on tap and you dont have to search them on the big screen.

I think the new start menu idea is stupid. I might as well download MetroSideBar so I can see my live tiles all the time. It's the same amount of steps to see live tiles so whats the point?

Everyone has a need for Interactive Live Tiles on the desktop. (you should be able to resize them to ANY size)
- email
- interactive OneNote quick notes that sync to all my devices
- calendar - day agenda, week view or month view that I can expand to half of my desktop if I wanted
- live sport scores / news
- rss feeds
- weather
- interactive calculator (even though the Start Menu should be able to do simple calculations like Spotlight)
- interactive dictionary ((even though the Start Menu should be able to look up words like Spotlight)
- interactive music player/spotify player
- interactive Shazam quick tagger
- Any news app
- Social Feeds (Facebook and Twitter)
- Health App or My Fitness Pal (they should be integrated Microsoft!!) could have a quick food/drink input with the amount of calories needed and left for that day, just like on Android

There are endless possibilities with this...

I'm not one for the Metro look soo if they let us organize them in perfect grids if we want or spacing them how ever we want, even better. They gave it a shot and no one bought it, just like Vista. Time to listen to consumers. It might work for Tablets and phones but certainly not for desktop.

Last edited:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I say do it in both. I would want a couple (not many) on my desktop. I don't think I would want any on my start menu, but the choice should be there.

anon(5818411)

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I say do it in both. I would want a couple (not many) on my desktop. I don't think I would want any on my start menu, but the choice should be there.

exactly I would just like a few not a whole metro screen, everything would be on the forefront which I would like. I would like to size them and drag them where ever I want. Some being useful for interaction like a widget.

I wouldn't add Live Tiles to the Start Menu because what's the point? it's the same amount of steps to go to the Metro screen as it is the Start menu.

People are just not thinking logically even the Microsoft devs...

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
exactly I would just like a few not a whole metro screen, everything would be on the forefront which I would like. I would like to size them and drag them where ever I want. Some being useful for interaction like a widget.

I wouldn't add Live Tiles to the Start Menu because what's the point? it's the same amount of steps to go to the Metro screen as it is the Start menu.

People are just not thinking logically even the Microsoft devs...

i agree with you. i think they should give user choice to pin on desktop and also pin on start menu, whatever you like or choose booth. everyone happy. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb