Interested in another youtube app?

wisienka

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi there!

I am developer that begins adventure with Windows 10 store apps - and to learn I have started to write YouTube client for Windows 10 mobile. Project started to be written for myself. I know that there are few good aps - but they are limmited in their free version (mostly annoying commercials), and their desing didn't match my expectations (I belive android app has room to improve).

So I decided to write my own app and so far I have these functionalities:
- home screen
- search videos/profiles/playlists
- watch videos (still finishing watching playlist - still not fully decided how to place element and whether use tabs or just scrollview)
- login to google account (I have sub-project working just need to copy)

Features that I'll start adding soon
- all profile activities (like/comment/subscribe etc.)
- upload videos

What I want to add later:
- background sound (locked screent/minimized app)
- connecting to eg. android tv (I forgot the name of function)
- live tile (no idea how to use them yet - show newest videos from subscriptions ?)
- notifications

Let me know if you would be interesed in this app (so I know if it's worth finishing) or what would you like to change/add. You feedback is much appreciated. Later I would like to write google drive app with similar UX.

1.png 2.png
3.png 4.jpg

PS: Forgot to remove My Channel - it has been moved to the bottom of navigation panel (entire panel is still subject to change).

wisienka

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for cheering up! I forgot to mention that I do not plan to monetize app in any way. Looking forward to hearing what features you'd like from such app :)

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Up until now I don't find any real advantage over other apps.
I personally use MetroTube which is free (and you only pay to support the dev) and has a better accessible contextual menu as you only need one swipe, rather than yours which requires to open the hamburger menu to find a crammed version.
Also I would make use of bottom area for buttons, as it is way more accessible on mobile (so search button and other stuff should be at bottom).
The like and dislike buttons should be horizontal and bigger, it's easy to mistakenly tap the wrong one as they are now.
I don't know how the player is, but it should clearly show like in youtube how much a video played and pre-loaded, and a scroll-thing (I don't know how to call it) like in MetroTube that you can easily slide to accurately reach a point of the video is needed.
It would be nice if you could make options for good customizations:
?an option to choose what to show at the home of the app, whether it may be new videos, subscribed channels, downloaded videos and so on
?allow customization for accent color (maybe a selection or a color picker, other than "default" and "phone accent color") and theme. Black is good, but some people find white better.
I don't know how YouTube and G+ exactly interarcts, but a "notifications" menu/button would be an exclusive feature you may add.
For now that's all I want to say. Keep it up,good luck, and make your app be something that stands out from others and people want.

saurabh7890

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
The interface and look of the app is awesome.........

I want that you should add the option to choose video quality before playing any video from 144p,240p,360p,480p,720p,1080p etc............. Please include 144p quality (it is present in the official YouTube android app) as it requires very low data suitable for connection over mobile data where data pack are costly.

Second feature i want that we can download the video on SD card

I am waiting for your app...... Kindly message me when its ready.

wisienka

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
@CapoFantasma97
Bottom command bar is area to improve - I am thinking of using it more and leaving side bar as navigation for video categories/profile etc. The important note that unlike native apps side menu is swipeable - you don't need to click hamburger icon (which usually upsets me).

The player for now is default but I am slowly working on implementing featuers you mentioned. And looking for screens now I agree - like/dislike buttons are too small.

As far as for customisation - choosing I want to add possibility of choosing Like/Dark theme and also main app color.I didn't give mouch thought on home customization (which is a neat idea)

@saurabh7890
1) video quality - I was thinking of adding some form of selection box from bottom menu as well as an option to set default value in app settings

2) video download is definetly something I am considering :)

I just recently started wroking full time (writing Metro Apps so I'm definetly learning much stuff :) ), but that leaves me time to develop app during weekends (and evenings). I want to polish UX as much as possible, but I'm thinking of starting beta in some time :)

wisienka

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have small update:

1) Mostly I have been finishing login system - still small issue/bug with refreshing user access token (they are valid for 1h for seciurity reasons)
2) I have began work on setup wizard - right now you can choose app color theme (need to add more available colors) later there will be possibility to chose default video quality, log in etc.
3) I finished designing and implementing channel view (small feature missing - I want on scroll down to hide via animation channel data area so the user have more space to see videos)

wp_ss_20160223_0010.jpg

As always I look for feedback from you guys :) Cheers!

wisienka

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
When I'll fix login issues and finish wizard (~1-3 weeks) I'll start beta testing - I'll write here how to apply (or maybe I'll do open beta like Instagram and Slack).

I forgot to ask one important thing - I don't have a name for application yet so If you have any idea let me know :).

saurabh7890

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
When I'll fix login issues and finish wizard (~1-3 weeks) I'll start beta testing - I'll write here how to apply (or maybe I'll do open beta like Instagram and Slack).

I forgot to ask one important thing - I don't have a name for application yet so If you have any idea let me know :).

Youtube by wisienka

wisienka

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Youtube by wisienka

I thought more like UniversalTube (but there exists company with similar name - not connected with youtube thou).

Looking forward to this. Looks really nice. If this goes well, would you consider doing a proper Gmail app ☺

If gmail api is as open as youtube's - then sure :) (Personally I was thinking about googledrive first since outlook works pretty good).

gonendlost

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I would like to say that it would be nice to add captions or annotations to the videos because many videos need english sub. I think its worth finishing.

momokomoon

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi there!

I am developer that begins adventure with Windows 10 store apps - and to learn I have started to write YouTube client for Windows 10 mobile. Project started to be written for myself. I know that there are few good aps - but they are limmited in their free version (mostly annoying commercials), and their desing didn't match my expectations (I belive android app has room to improve).

So I decided to write my own app and so far I have these functionalities:
- home screen
- search videos/profiles/playlists
- watch videos (still finishing watching playlist - still not fully decided how to place element and whether use tabs or just scrollview)
- login to google account (I have sub-project working just need to copy)

Features that I'll start adding soon
- all profile activities (like/comment/subscribe etc.)
- upload videos

What I want to add later:
- background sound (locked screent/minimized app)
- connecting to eg. android tv (I forgot the name of function)
- live tile (no idea how to use them yet - show newest videos from subscriptions ?)
- notifications

Let me know if you would be interesed in this app (so I know if it's worth finishing) or what would you like to change/add. You feedback is much appreciated. Later I would like to write google drive app with similar UX.

View attachment 122303 View attachment 122304
View attachment 122305 View attachment 122306

PS: Forgot to remove My Channel - it has been moved to the bottom of navigation panel (entire panel is still subject to change).

Google wouldn't approve xD i believe they're tryin to take down your post already

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb