Invoke speaker not connecting to Cortana service?

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Today my Harmon Kardon Invoke speaker seems to have lost it's connection to the Cortana service.

When I ask it to play anything through Spotify, or the Weather, or my agenda, it says "Okay, Sorry, try back in a few" It does respond to touching the top and giving interesting facts.

I have unplugged it and plugged it back in to reset. I am able to pull history on my phone and PC.

My PC also cannot play anything from Spotify from a PC Cortana request. My Spotify on the PC works fine.

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so now I opened Spotify on my PC and clicked the Spotify Devices. I clicked Invoke and it started playing through the Invoke.
Then I asked Cortana (on the Invoke) to pause. It responded, "Ok, Sorry I can't do that" and music stopped. I asked Cortana to play, but she couldn't do that.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
yep, same here on 2 Invokes, at virtually the same time.
"Okay, Sorry, try back in a few".
Tried power cycle several times, factory resets and reinstall. Power cycled router and wifi Access Point. Went thru both devices settings to check for anomalies, nothing stood out, didn't change anything.
On initial reboots I also was able to get Cortana to give a weather forecast(shows access to internet) but subsequent requests to Cortana to play iheartradio music failed with above response.
WiFi working for phone and tablet, full strength 801 n 300mbs
More resets, power cycles.
A call to Harmon Kardon support brought not much help. No Harmon Kardon updates going on. They suggested that wifi was not strong enough...needed 5MHz instead of 2.4MHz. I did look up my specs on router(2.4 MHZ) and WiFi access point (2.4MHz). But it was working fine until THIS morning. So is Cortana having a 'Senior' moment?

I'm going to let things sit. Once before I had a similar non-response period from Cortana that resets and power recycles didn't solve and didn't troubleshoot as deeply as this time. Just let it sit and it resolved at end of day.

I now think it might be Cortana rather than Invoke that's got the flu.

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
They suggested that wifi was not strong enough...needed 5MHz instead of 2.4MHz. I did look up my specs on router(2.4 MHZ) and WiFi access point (2.4MHz). But it was working fine until THIS morning.
I'm calling BS on the WiFi being issue. I have a Unifi Pro hotspot dual band with Gigabit connection to the router and it has never glitched on me. I have other items connected to it and all working fine except Cortana.

Pieces of the Cortana backend seem to be coming back slowly, so you may want to just hold off resetting for awhile.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss