Is anybody's Lumia 920 not suffering from either a hardware or software issue?

pewpewbangbang

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Lumia has been flawless so far, can't test real world usage and battery life until I get a nano-sim adapter. Then I can compare to my iPhone 5.

My capacitive buttons also have a yellow hue to it but I think it's supposed to be like that. It just seems like a lower quality light really, but not a big deal.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I haven't visited this thread in over 2 weeks. That's mainly because I've been hanging around Android Central. Yes, I'm sad to say that after 13 years of using no other phone brand except Nokia, I've finally jumped ship and switched to a 4G Samsung Galaxy S3. I just couldn't justify sinking over $1400 into 2 separate Lumia 920s and still failing to find a good handset. Complete opposite of my current experience with the Galaxy S3, which I won't go into detail as the last thing I want is to get flamed here.

Suffice to say I'm extremely happy I've made the switch and I most likely won't be coming back to Nokia until they switch to Android (if they ever do) and assuming they've sorted out their hardware manufacturing issues.

Good luck with Android and the SGS3. The reasons why I don't use Android anymore (on the phone, I still use a Nexus 7 as an ereader) in general and an SGS3 in particular (had one for almost a year):

1. Android is a nice OS, but it has been built from the ground up as one gigantic information gathering machine for Google. God only knows what Google does with all the data they collect. Some of it is used to generate the constant stream of advertising you get bombarded with anywhere you go on the web and in many apps on your phone. I knew that enough was enough for me when I suddenly started receiving ads for a new phone provider in all my apps and the browser after having exchanged a short conversation about that provider over email with a friend on my SGS3.

2. And now for the SGS3:

- I hate touchwiz
- the phone is slow and laggy compared to the Lumia, the iPhone and even the Nexus 4
- had to get the screen replaced twice because it cracked for no reason while the phone was sitting on my night stand.

So good luck with it and have fun - if I had to switch I'd go with an iPhone 5 or a Blackberry z10.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Let me tell too ... extremely happy with my RED Lumia 920 - it has been close to perfect since Portico update ... there is no one, who can offer me all the same as Lumia 920 do - like a such great camera with OIS for blurry free photos, a great video recording (with extremely good voice), a great display with sensitive touch and sun light readability, a great audio quality with equalizer (I use WH-920 ear-plugs, but it is the same with any other high quality ear plugs), a great Nokia OFFLINE maps and Drive+, some can be used offline too - super useful for holidays and business trips ... as well as other Nokia software collection, like Nokia Music (Radio Mix), Photo Beamer, etc. ... Summary: there is no substitute for me at the moment, not even close one, even others are good ones too, like Galaxy S3 or Note 2, HTC 8X, iPhone 5, but no way that I would use any of them instead of my love one ... of course, you have to pick up the one, some fit for you ... :)

my exact thought's

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
my proximity sensor failed (blank screen during calls, no amount of cleaning screen or other black magic worked to bring it back), front facing camera failed (can't switch to front camera in app, just hangs/shows black screen). Dust under screen at ffc as well. Refurb exchange due in next week, hoping for the best. Otherwise my "at launch" 920 was problem free.

Nokia build quality definitely has taken a hit.

Icbuono5

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Never had any issues with my 920! Somehow I got one with a never ending battery most days and I use it about the same every day, its great!

out0fplace

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is mostly issue-less. It did hang once and I had to reset it, but apart from that, its been all good. :smile:
On the other hand, my friend's 920 has some serious battery issues. :cry:

Shimoner

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I just got a 920 and am having the heating/battery issue. It seems that the heating precipitates the wild battery drain and I am noticing that once the phone has heated once the battery is lost until the phone is shut off for a few minutes and restarted. Many people, including Nokia, have been trying to point the finger at various apps running in the background, and while I don't doubt that closing them has some effect, they really don't seem to be the reason for the extreme drain (i.e. 3-4 hours on a full charge) that many people have been complaining about. In my case, I have had it such that all apps have been closed via the back button and all background apps have been blocked and yet the battery still drained at an alarming rate - all that I could have done to cause this was play 'Wordament' for 20 minutes, after which I closed the game. The app caused the top-right corner of the phone to heat up and though it got less hot once the app was closed, it never cooled to room temperature - during this time I was losing 10% every 15-20 minutes. I plugged the phone in, it remained warm, and even once I unplugged it the drain continued at that rate. It was not until the phone was shut-off that it cooled down completely, and once restarted, the battery was fine (losing 5-6%/hour). It seems to me that certain functions of the phone have a propensity to over-work whatever hardware component sits in the top-right corner and that once this occurs, that component does not stop working above spec until it has been completely powered down and this is far too burdensome on the phone's battery. The only other major contributor that I have found is that the phone uses a lot of battery trying to establish optimal network connections where one does not otherwise exist. For the record, there have been days where the phone lasted me 20+ hours and on these days I played no games. Furthermore, and contrary to popular opinion, on one of these days where the phone lasted a long time I had NFC and Nokia Drive (background) running all day and neither, it would appear, contributed in any meaningful way to the drain. I have been testing this phone every which way I can since I started experiencing the problem (which was right when I bought it) and the only consistent contributor to rapid drain has been heat in the right corner, most often caused by gameplay and/or multitasking in my case, followed by dull heat and a dead battery. I suspect that it might be possible to fix via a firmware patch, but to date it doesn't even look like either Nokia or Microsoft know what the problem is. To my knowledge, Nokia has only ever said that Nokia Drive running in the background might be the culprit, which it does not seem to be. While I suspect that a multitude of apps, regardless of what they are, running at one time might cause the heat>drain combo, no single one has proven to be sole issue. When in doubt, power down and reboot.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
@Shimoner. By just got 920, I assume <2 weeks. Search 920 + battery and you will find many threads here that go into detail about issues and solutions. First, it takes 2-4 weeks to "condition" battery on 920. Second, back button doesn't always assure all processes have stopped. Sometimes a process can hang up and continue running. There are many apps that have had issues as well as OS problems. Read through some of the threads and you will find some solutions. I blamed it on phone when I was having problems but second phone had same issues. Its software problems.

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Good luck with Android and the SGS3. The reasons why I don't use Android anymore (on the phone, I still use a Nexus 7 as an ereader) in general and an SGS3 in particular (had one for almost a year):

1. Android is a nice OS, but it has been built from the ground up as one gigantic information gathering machine for Google. God only knows what Google does with all the data they collect. Some of it is used to generate the constant stream of advertising you get bombarded with anywhere you go on the web and in many apps on your phone. I knew that enough was enough for me when I suddenly started receiving ads for a new phone provider in all my apps and the browser after having exchanged a short conversation about that provider over email with a friend on my SGS3.

2. And now for the SGS3:

- I hate touchwiz
- the phone is slow and laggy compared to the Lumia, the iPhone and even the Nexus 4
- had to get the screen replaced twice because it cracked for no reason while the phone was sitting on my night stand.

So good luck with it and have fun - if I had to switch I'd go with an iPhone 5 or a Blackberry z10.

Well thankfully I'm not stuck with TouchWiz, I use Nova Launcher which looks pretty amazing and I don't have to be rooted for it. I have the 4G international version of the S3 which comes with a quad core processor and 2gb of RAM which is twice what I had with the lumia. No lagging whatsoever, although I will admit that the animations designed for WP looks much more fluid than android or iOS but that's just the animations. My partner did end up getting the iphone 5 and with the exception of slightly better battery life and camera, the S3 wins out for my personal preferences in every other way. All in all, the only things I miss from my old 920 is the camera and the stylish metro ui design that's pervasive in all the apps. There's something to be said about having all your apps follow one design theme. Everything else, I prefer the S3. Noticeably better battery life too.

I still love Nokia even after my bitter experience with the 2 920s. I may come back to Nokia and WP later once they've sorted out their issues, depending on how competitive Samsung's next offerings are. But at the moment, even in the looks department I prefer my (custom) cyan S3 over my old yellow 920.

IMG_0119.jpg P__5132.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My first one overheated, I replaced it and my 2nd one still does when playing games.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

uswebworx

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
New user:
I joined to reply to this message, I was a faithful iPhone user (still have iPads) until the 4s and had apple replace it 7 times from December 2011 unil last week when I finally gave up and begged AT&T to give me an early upgrade (7 months before due) and bought me a Lumia 920 black. While it is different than the iPhone it is definitely a better phone. IMO Since Steve Jobs died (RIP) apple is going downhill.
I am not bitter at apple my wife has iphone 4s and no issues at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven