Is anyone trying/tried to use the Surface Go LTE as a smartphone replacement?

dpz

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I am going to get my mother the Surface Go LTE instead of the iPad mini 4.
She is getting older so she stays home most of the time and doesn't see very well and usually answers the phone on speaker. I am choosing the Surface Go because she sometimes needs assistance and I just remote in and help her.
**TeamViewer 14 seems to have screen sharing functionality on iPad but not control.**

So the thing I am curious about is if it's possible to use the Go to make phone calls using Skype or some other app? I've made calls using Skype on my Surface Pro 4 before but I've never set it up in a way that I can rely on it as a phone replacement. Plus Skype doesn't recommend using it for emergency phone calls.

Anyways it seems like it would be a good idea but I don't know where to start if it is possible.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Who is your cellular provider? If its T-Mobile then their "Digits" program might work for this. Also Skype as you mentioned, BUT she would need the paid version of Skype in order to call land lines, or cell phones of people who don't have Skype. Skype to Skype is free, but to any other phone you need a Skype plan.

US Only is a pretty reasonable 2.99 a month. :)

https://secure.skype.com/calling-rates?language=en

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Who is your cellular provider? If its T-Mobile then their "Digits" program might work for this. Also Skype as you mentioned, BUT she would need the paid version of Skype in order to call land lines, or cell phones of people who don't have Skype. Skype to Skype is free, but to any other phone you need a Skype plan.

US Only is a pretty reasonable 2.99 a month. :)

https://secure.skype.com/calling-rates?language=en

Digits would work. Not sure how reliably though. It works for desktop while on Wifi. Should be no different for the Surface.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Digits would work. Not sure how reliably though. It works for desktop while on Wifi. Should be no different for the Surface.

Digits does work. Since the OP is getting the LTE version it works better. Just have to download the Digits PC app which includes the needed dialer. When TMO first introduced it I was using a Surface 3 LTE.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Digits does work. Since the OP is getting the LTE version it works better. Just have to download the Digits PC app which includes the needed dialer. When TMO first introduced it I was using a Surface 3 LTE.

ya this post really got my gears turning now...

So were you a beta user for Digits?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
ya this post really got my gears turning now...

So were you a beta user for Digits?

I don't know beta from gamma, all I know is this program sounded like pure genius for people like me who love to test drive one device while keeping a daily driver up to date with call logs and SMS.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't know beta from gamma, all I know is this program sounded like pure genius for people like me who love to test drive one device while keeping a daily driver up to date with call logs and SMS.
My buddy was part of their beta testing and says part of the deal was he gets digits perks for free now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb