Is buying a Nokia a right choice now?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I started thinking about it lately, when the Microsoft-Nokia deal news started appearing again.

I was wondering - would it be wrong to buy a Nokia now?

I really wanna buy a L1520. Seems like an almost perfect device for me. BUT.
How much support will it get?
Now that Nokia sold thier Devices&Services department to MS, they will probably go back to manufacturing rubber (lulz), and Microsoft will come out (soonish) with a new device (probably the rumored Surface/Xbox Phone).
So then, with WP completely in their hands MS will focus mostly on that new device, leaving older Lumias behind, and Nokia... well, they'll deliver a few updates to a few apps and thats it.

This is just a scenario going on in my head right now. Someone please tell me I'm wrong, and this won't happen because I really wanna buy that phone, but I don't want to have to change again in a few months.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It will get the support, its a flagship WP, so of course. The rebranding of the company should not affect it in any way.

Maybe, probably, I'm not an insider so I don't know about the Surface phone. I'd like to see it though. I expect to see Lumia's and maybe a dabble or two in a Surface phone, although the Icon/930 were once compared with the Surface 2 in terms of design. So we'll probably see both colorful polycarbonate and metal phones.

If MS leaves all existing models in the dust, it could very well be a death knell for the platform. It would be suicide, and I'm sure they know it. We don't know about WP9, its too early to say.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
We've all known that this was coming but many have the Icon or the 1520 or the 1020 clipped to our belt. As always something cool is about to come out, probably a whole lot of something cool but what is available now is nothing short of amazing and extremely useful. The reminder feature alone in 8.1 has made a huge change in how I get things done and this is just one feature.

If you need a phone or a tablet go ahead and get one. There will be updates for your "new" phone but I would bet the next several years bring great things to our belts.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt between the two of them (Nokia and Microsoft) the current lineup of Lumias will go unsupported, especially if they are upgradable to 8.1

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
No.. Got email from nokia that all my services n contracta n waranties will be handled by microsoft now. Means lumia will not be left behind .. I'll attach mail in next post.

Musaib124

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Privacy, Data Protection and Service Terms Information Regarding the Sale of Nokia?s Devices & Services Business to Microsoft

Hello,

We wanted to share some important information about your data privacy and contracts.

Nokia currently expects to complete the sale of its Devices & Services business to Microsoft in April 2014. With the completion of this transaction, a Microsoft Finnish affiliate* assumes responsibility for your personal data and the contractual relationships for the products and services related to this business. Microsoft cares deeply about your privacy and the protection of your personal data and will continue to collect and use your personal data in the same ways and for the same reasons as Nokia, and you should experience no difference as a result of the sale.

Also, please note that Nokia will continue to run its businesses, including HERE location-based products and services, which are not part of the Microsoft acquisition. The responsibility for your personal data and your contractual relationship relating to these Nokia products and services remains with Nokia. Nokia continues to be committed to the highest standards to protect your privacy and your personal data.

We wanted to give you notice of these changes. Our commitment to your privacy remains paramount. To learn more about Microsoft?s and Nokia?s privacy policies and service terms, click here. You may also contact us at: Microsoft Mobile Oy, c/o Privacy, Keilaranta 7, 02150 Espoo, Finland or Nokia Corporation, c/o Privacy, Keilalahdentie 4, 02150 Espoo, Finland.

Sincerely,

Chad Fentress
Vice President, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer
Nokia

Brendon Lynch
Chief Privacy Officer
Microsoft

Type_Grey

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, all current warrantees and devices (even the Nokia X line) will remain valid and will be honored by Microsoft. I did some searching and found the following from each camp's press release:

From Nokia: Our journey begins - Conversations

"Importantly for existing customers, we will bring you right along with us. Your device warranty is completely unaffected by this change and the same world-class customer service and support teams will continue to look after your devices. You can still get all the help and support through the usual channels: online support, contact centers and local Nokia Care points.

And we?ll continue to take good care of your personal data ? our commitment to your privacy remains paramount."

From Microsoft: Microsoft officially welcomes the Nokia Devices and Services business

See the last sentence of the third paragraph - "As part of the transaction, Microsoft will honor all existing Nokia customer warranties for existing devices, beginning April 25, 2014."

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Got the feeling we will be seeing these threads for a while. I appreciate everyone helping to set peoples minds at ease.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99