Is Google conspiring with Blackberry against Windows Phone?

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Recent leaks of the latest version of the Blackberry OS, version 10.2.1, includes a new version of the Blackberry Runtime for Android which removes much of the restrictions which have stopped Android apps from running reliably on Blackberry 10 handsets, mainly those surrounding the Google Service Framework. There are also rumours that the OS will ship with the Google Play Store, allowing Blackberry 10 phones to run all million Blackberry 10 apps.

IMG_00000401.png.jpg

Access to Google Play is tightly controlled by Google, and they only include it with handsets that comply with the OHA license restrictions, and that usually means including the whole suite of Google Apps, including the Gmail app for example.

If Blackberry does ship with Google Play it can only mean Google has made a special concession for Blackberry, and the only reason to do this would be to keep the 4th smartphone player alive, and thereby impeding the progress of Windows Phone, especially in business.

Google Play?s presence on Blackberry 10 is not confirmed yet, but if it does show up, and Blackberry gains the support of Google, do you think there is a good chance the OS will undermine Windows Phone?s momentum?

Source: WMPU

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I wonder would this give MS more ammunition for anti-trust laws. Considering Blackberry 10 doesn't have as many users as WP and Google is obviously glad to make BB devices accessible to Googles services.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the big deal. BB is putting Android apps on their devices because they can, hardware-wise. Even the PlayBook could run Android apps by converting APKs to BAR. If MS is so worried about a competitor overtaking them, the solution is simple: put the apps out there. If this was to pass, the most affected would be iOS since the enterprise sector has moved to them after the demise of BlackBerry. Either way, I don't see it happening because Open Source and enterprise are mutually exclusive.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the big deal. BB is putting Android apps on their devices because they can, hardware-wise. Even the PlayBook could run Android apps by converting APKs to BAR. If MS is so worried about a competitor overtaking them, the solution is simple: put the apps out there. If this was to pass, the most affected would be iOS since the enterprise sector has moved to them after the demise of BlackBerry. Either way, I don't see it happening because Open Source and enterprise are mutually exclusive.
Sounds great, except that if some companies don't wanna develop apps for WP8 they just won't. I'm sure Microsoft would love to have Sirius XM land in their store, but if Sirius XM refuses to develop the app there's only so much MS can do.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Sounds great, except that if some companies don't wanna develop apps for WP8 they just won't. I'm sure Microsoft would love to have Sirius XM land in their store, but if Sirius XM refuses to develop the app there's only so much MS can do.

Microsoft could include an Android runtime in WP.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't see the fuss over "official" apps. As long as it works and has the proper feature set, I could care less if it was developed by Honey BooBoo.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the fuss over "official" apps. As long as it works and has the proper feature set, I could care less if it was developed by Honey BooBoo.
Again I agree with you. But you saw all the issues that came up between for instance Instagram and the third party apps that were trying to replace it. Features, content and other things become wrapped up in legal disputes between these corporations.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Again I agree with you. But you saw all the issues that came up between for instance Instagram and the third party apps that were trying to replace it. Features, content and other things become wrapped up in legal disputes between these corporations.

Develop an alternative. When BB and Windows Mobile had crappy browsers, Opera came to the rescue. When MS wouldn't offer Office Mobile on PalmOS, Documents To Go was arguably better. The list is endless and the very situation you speak of gave birth to the 3rd party developer.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

By the way, those are some adorable little ones. You are a blessed person.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If anything, google would pay blackberry to not sell to Microsoft. This I do believe is going on as we speak. We still don't see anything from the driving app Waze. I would be surprised if it ever came to the platform and if it does, it would be so crippled, it won't be work having.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think this is just the best way BB can keep it's nose above water. Getting access to the Android apps is a good move on their part. It has taken WP 3 long years to get enough apps to be competitive, and certainly are still fighting to get even. BlackBerry has cash researves, but not the deep pockets of MS to absorb those kinds of delays in getting BB10 up to snuff as far as the consumer market.

WP will compete on it's own merits, not the failure of BB. Most BB users that have left have adopted Apple products, with Android and WP getting smaller groups of those defectors.

WP has grown due to new users to smart phones, explaining why it has grown slower in the US then in other markets. In the US, the smartphone saturation was already pretty high, and they were on other platforms already. WP will need to convince users of other OS's to switch.

BB10 is facing the same issues. I am no longer buying BB07 users are automatically switching over. The numbers show otherwise. This move, if accurate, is about BB surviving, not WP being beaten, in my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb