Is it possible to get viruses on a Lumia Windows phone 8.1?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Is it possible to get viruses on a lumia windows phone 8.1?

I was using ie on my lumia 925 when suddenly a message appeared saying that "a virus has been found! Click on OK ta start the reparation process" (stupidly) I panicked and clicked OK, naivly hoping that my phone would take care of it. When I have clicked OK anew webpage opened and said I need to click OK again, but I didn't. I closed all tabs, deleted all the history and temporary files. In the settings for ie the alternative "Allow sites to store files on my phone" was checken in, but when I clicked on "Manage storage" it was empty (otherwise I thought it might help to delete everything in there).

Then my research began but I got different answers everywhere and from a few years back so now I am confused.

Do I need to worry?

I've read that a couple of years ago one didn't need to worry but is it different now?

How can I see if there is a virus? And how do I remove it in that case?

Thank you in advance!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to get viruses on a lumia windows phone 8.1?

There are no viruses on WP or W10M.

The apps are all sandboxed so it's very difficult to get a virus.

Since WP is not that popular there isn't anyone targeting it either.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That dialog was a dialog thrown up by the website you were currently on.

As a standard, websites can stick up a dialog box like what you just said, saying whatever they want. It's as if a random person showed up at your doorstep saying you have a pest problem in your house safe and that he needs to inspect it.

You do not need to worry at this time. Also, there are many threads on this exact question.

EL620

May 29, 2014
Visit site

These popups are very annoying. Some of them are even look like standard android themed prompts so that a wp user should know it's fake right away. Good thing is nothing will happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077