Is Microsoft unwise to ignore their own platform?

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I know you guys must have read, replied and discussed about this a lot lately but is the idea of supporting other platforms way before microsoft's own platform which needs to be poised for growth but instead the windows, windows phone and windows RT are biting dust while rivals are seeing the most developer love from microsoft at all sensible? one of the most killer productivity suite of apps namely the Office is now universally available on IOS and is going to be available for Android very soon....and the touch version of it is not due on windows until windows 10. what reason should a productivity minded consumer have to move in with a platform that have little developer interest which is lead by the platform's owner itself? we windows(phone) users are very synonymous with wait until the next big thing but IMO this is not gonna hold out much longer.the hardware and software are/were always top notch with windows platform albeit occasional hiccups but hey c'mon microsoft is not just a software and services company right now but also a hardware company.....if they cant support their own hardware division with the latest software there is absolutely no other reason for other developers to support windows. this is not the case just with Office but also some features with Skype Qik, Snipp3t for IOS and Skype itself....though i think microsoft is one a very bold and different path from the old one i am extremely skeptical about this treating of their own service as a second hand one. now i understand that in a world of tech for the need to stay relevant you need to stay visible across the whole spectrum that doesnt mean your own platform has to be invisible. i dont like this aspect of the new microsoft and frankly i guess the consumers and developers show the same attitude towards MS too..

What do you guys think?

Well I understand the importance for Microsoft's apps like Office,Skype,Outlook etc to stay relevant by being widely available, but what I don't understand and what irks me is how MSFT apps are better supported and feature packed on iOS Android. That part makes no sense

ernestperol

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft don't support its brand no matter what. Microsoft makes App for Android and IOS,then act like nothing is wrong with that.
Google will never support windows no matter what,because Google doesn't see Microsoft as a competitor at all.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I think I stopped reading your post after about 2 lines because it's a wall of text. Learn to paragraph.

As to what I think you mean based on those 2 lines and your subject? No, I don't think they're dumb. Windows Phone users (myself included, even, at one point) seem to labor under the misguided idea that if you buy a Windows Phone you are somehow important to Microsoft, or that you mean something to Microsoft, and that Microsoft owes you a premium experience.

Microsoft is a corporation, and a corporation's main goal is to make money for the shareholders. Microsoft is going to go where the money is at, and unfortunately, that's not in Windows Phone. I'm not saying that Windows Phone is doomed or that there's NO money in it whatsoever, but there's MORE money in Android and iOS. That's what they would be dumb to ignore.
Why don't you directly say that to dumb wp so you can get better experience of Microsoft services on other platforms.

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Yeah at least MS should say that better features will be given to windows phone users.. Giving office app to others is fine but make sure you give the best to windows phone MS... Windows10 is your last chance .. If you screw it windows mobile platform is dead..

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Keeping iOS and Android users from switching away to some other Office suite is important to Microsoft. They're taking care of their monetary bread & butter. Microsoft has more Office 365 customers that use iOS and Android then they do who use Windows Mobile. Feel free to prove me wrong on that.

Don't make the mistake of believing that you are somehow more important than users of other platforms, you're not when it comes to Office. Microsoft knows to provide the best experience for the people who actually spend money on Office 365, and iOS users completely dominate that landscape.

http://media.www1.good.com/documents/rpt-mobility-index-2014.pdf
BHmSs4O.jpg

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Keeping iOS and Android users from switching away to some other Office suite is important to Microsoft. They're taking care of their monetary bread & butter. Microsoft has more Office 365 customers that use iOS and Android then they do who use Windows Mobile. Feel free to prove me wrong on that.

Don't make the mistake of believing that you are somehow more important than users of other platforms, you're not when it comes to Office. Microsoft knows to provide the best experience for the people who actually spend money on Office 365, and iOS users completely dominate that landscape.

View attachment 86966

^ this. Further, recently making the WP os free to oem's would have made a dip in the revenue. Hence they might need to concentrate more on to generate revenue which would help them float and keep wp free for us. Eventually all these office updates would come to WP or W10

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Windows is dead in mobile. Windows 10 will make it even worst, Microsoft already gave up with Windows. They adopted Android and iOS as their preferred platforms to distribute their services.

I don't recommend buying Windows devices or developing for this platform.

tooly26

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Never read so much bllsht in one post.....
This is how you thing, but for me windows is on a good way, I like the platform on desktop, tablet and mobile. I love developing apps for windows. Universal developing is a great thing.

gEtApATaLkEd

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows is dead in mobile. Windows 10 will make it even worst, Microsoft already gave up with Windows. They adopted Android and iOS as their preferred platforms to distribute their services.

I don't recommend buying Windows devices or developing for this platform.

I think the continued release of new hardware and OS updates defies your view. Microsoft still want to own the mobile space but without keeping people engaged through it's apps and services on other platforms it would decline rapidly. I suspect hooking people into those will eventually open opportunities for self promotion and maintaining the relevance of Windows too.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Why are you guys so selfish? No one complains that the whole Google suite is on iOS. But when it's Microsoft everyone loses their minds. Stop making such a big deal and enjoy what you have. You chose windows phone so this is what you get.

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 86966

so what they could do is provide free subscription for those who use windows phone....

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
yeah well but to do something about the market share MS has to start somewhere and it is not gonna be provided by others if MS itself doesnt provide it else there goes the egg and chicken circle all over again

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
They are not ignoring their own platforms, they are just supporting others to stay relevant. We are still getting the new office app in 2015.

Rakesh Rocky2

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Why are you guys so selfish? No one complains that the whole Google suite is on iOS. But when it's Microsoft everyone loses their minds. Stop making such a big deal and enjoy what you have. You chose windows phone so this is what you get.

when you are at the bottom you have to give two times more than others to come on top... am not saying wp is dead , w10 can be successful...But if they do like this whats the point in switching from other platforms?? MS sure will lose trust

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
its great to see developers like you but the primary aspect of a general developer is to make some money....keeping the hobby and platform love aside....what message does this send to developers like them?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
so what they could do is provide free subscription for those who use windows phone....

I'm sure they have something planned, but right now their customers on iOS and Android are being possibly lured away by other free or low cost alternatives, and they want to put a stop to that right now. Like I said before, they are Microsoft's biggest Office customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo