Is Samsung trying to repeat the success from the s3 for the ativ s?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Woah! Slow down buddy. Just because you choose to say it has nothing over your chosen favorites it doesn't mean that it is true. It has some big ones.

It is way thinner for one.

Uses brushed aluminum instead of plastic. I personally prefer plastic but some people like metal like the isheep

Expandable storage

Those are some huge bullet points, nothing to brush off like you are doing.

As far as the screen goes, yes, size matters and besides, you know absolutely nothing about it. As far as we know it could be higher than 60hz, OLED screens have ridiculous speeds. That is one of their advatages. Whether or not Samsung uses their newest tech in the Ativ S I dont know but you cant just write it off based on how loudly HTC and Nokia brags about their tech.

The same applies for the sound. If the Ativ S uses the Wolfson chip set like the international GS3 does, then that chip trumps any gimmick like beats or Dolby can provide. Some XDA guys created their own sound drivers that destroys beats on the One X. Unfortunately though, most of the North American handsets will most likely have the crappy sound card integrated in the Qualcomm S4. So while us windows fanboys argue about beats + amp vs Dolby, the best sounding handsets will most likely be either the iphone or the note 2. Lol

Brushed aluminum isn't a selling point for anybody who understands how cellular technology works. (which is, admittedly, a very small subset of the population) Aluminum blocks reception.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung ATIV S feature page up, shows the ATIV S has the same Pentile display as the Galaxy S III | WMPoweruser

They use the same Super AMOLED HD screen. You can look at the Ativ S spec sheet yourself, the article above links to it and talks about the screen.

The iPhone (the single best selling phone) not having expandable storage and most people not caring is a fact, not my opinion. The only people who care about expandable storage on phones with 16 or 32 GB of memory are tech enthusiasts.

I never said it was 100% the worst. What I said was that if screen size, expandable storage, or a removable battery were ultra important to you, then the Ativ S is best. I just don't think that it is best for the average consumer. The fact that threads like this one suggesting that there are unannounced features or that Samsung has a surprise up its sleeve with this phone shows that most people are disappointed with it as it is and want something more from it.

People who have heard the amp on the HTC 8X in action have had positive things to say about it (including wpcentral), suggesting it is "a crappy dollar store level amp" is pure speculation, not based on actually released specs and early hands on experiences.

As to what else it offers over the Ativ S, here are my OPINIONS:
1. HTC has historically had better fit and finish with a superior, more premium feel
2. HTC has historically had superior manufacturer specific apps
3. HTC's dedicated imaging chip will likely lead to faster camera performance
4. HTC has had a better update history on both Android and Windows Phone than Samsung

Tell #4 to Titan owners...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The Titan had horrible call quality, an even worse speakerphone, and a weak antennae.

But they did have an "an upgrade" that fixed all those issues. They called it the Titan II.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The ativ will outsell both the 8x and the 920. Why? It's a Samsung phone, simple as that. Only my humble guess though :]

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Board Express

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't really say other than from feedback I've gotten from my wife with her Samsung phone. I'd never realized it until recently but I guess, people are rather preferential when it comes to these things. Myself included.

She has a Samsung Epic 4g and told me the other day that when her next phone comes through, she'll probably switch to a Motorola phone next time since that's what's she's always had before, even before smartphones. She just likes the way they feel to her more than the others. I thought about that and I guess I'm still the same way in regards to HTC devices. Other than the Motorola Nextel PTT phones I used for years, all of my PDA/Smartphone devices have been HTC's. From my HP iPaq's, Dell Axim's through to my current Arrive, they have all been HTC built devices. I'd say chances are prtty good that, if given the choice, I'd go HTC again. I've only ever had 1 bad experience with them with my TP2. Other than that, they've all been rock solid, dependable devices. That means more to me than looks and "shinny-ness".

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well at any rate, I think we can all agree *Why can't we be friends--the original, not the Smash Mouth version--playing in the background* that the best thing for our preferred platform is for all existing and future WP models, regardless of OEM, to sell like gangbusters.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
No, the REAL reason the ATIV S will outsell the others is it will be available on Verizon. Nokia is kneecapping itself with the stupid AT&T exclusive and Verizon and Samsung are long time buddies. Add in that Verizon is the largest carrier and had by far the largest and most robust network (which is why it is in more demand than the other carriers) and you have a recipe for it being the best seller in the WP 8 line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlimPulseWeightLoss