Is Samsung trying to repeat the success from the s3 for the ativ s?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Everyone arguing against Sammy forgets that Sammy has a powerful differentiator that Nokia and HTC lack -- scale.

Samsung is now selling GS III handsets at my carrier (T-Mo) for $550 at full cost -- down from $750 just a few months ago. In another three months, it wouldn't surprise me if they got pricing down to under $450.

Now, the ATIV is a mildly reworked Galaxy S III. Would we benefit from a high-end handset with a huge screen for under $450?

I think the answer is "**** yes."

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The ativ will outsell both the 8x and the 920. Why? It's a Samsung phone, simple as that. Only my humble guess though :]

Sent from my Lumia 610 using Board Express

Is that why in every 8x vs 920 vs Ativ S poll, the Ativ comes last by a long way?

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing the"Samsung is plastic" argument over and over, and to be quite honest, I want my phone made of plastic. flexible, impact resistant plastic. I don't want it to shatter like a 4s when dropped, I don't want it to dent like an older htc's aluminum case. I'm not trying to make a fashion statement, just make calls.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably be able to let you guys know about it in a few weeks. With Sprint not doing anything WP in the coming months, I'm probably switching to Droid for awhile. I'm actually looking forward to the Note2. Over the last 2-3 years, I've kinda missed the stylus and things we could do with it compared to the finger gestures on the newer hones. Also, I have big hands and l kinda like the idea of a large screen. The usual 3.5-4" screens just don't work well for me when it comes to texting and input and have to always have a slider phone for the keyboard. These newer, larger phones, are definitely a bonus for me.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'll probably be able to let you guys know about it in a few weeks. With Sprint not doing anything WP in the coming months, I'm probably switching to Droid for awhile. I'm actually looking forward to the Note2. Over the last 2-3 years, I've kinda missed the stylus and things we could do with it compared to the finger gestures on the newer hones. Also, I have big hands and l kinda like the idea of a large screen. The usual 3.5-4" screens just don't work well for me when it comes to texting and input and have to always have a slider phone for the keyboard. These newer, larger phones, are definitely a bonus for me.

Or you can drop sprint and come to T-mobile, better network, better prices and you get to stay with WP.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Or you can drop sprint and come to T-mobile, better network, better prices and you get to stay with WP.

Hardly. T-Mo has about half the coverage in my area, I get a pretty decent discount for my professional use and I'm not the type to jump carriers simply for a device. I like Windows but I'm not tied to it.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hardly. T-Mo has about half the coverage in my area, I get a pretty decent discount for my professional use and I'm not the type to jump carriers simply for a device. I like Windows but I'm not tied to it.

I don't know what it is but it seems that the 4% that T-mobile doesn't cover are on all sorts of forums. T-mobile over all has better signal performance than sprint as I have tested myself when I was in transition between the two of them.

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what it is but it seems that the 4% that T-mobile doesn't cover are on all sorts of forums. T-mobile over all has better signal performance than sprint as I have tested myself when I was in transition between the two of them.

I wish I could go back to Tmo. Here in WV there are no Tmobile stores, no service, it seems like they don't acknowledge our existence lol. They were great to me back when I lived in MD. Way better to deal with than Verizon. Maybe they will eventually find us.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile has bigger coverage issues in rural areas than Sprint. Of course, if you live within 50 miles of a major city, the comparison with Sprint is downright unfair to Sprint. The data speeds on T-Mo are better, and the prices, considerably lower.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Note 2 looks to be the best phone ever. Engadget said it had some ridiculous 2 day battery life on 3G.

Except it isn't really a phone for most of us, I'd say.

I can't ever see myself going for a 5,5" phone. Just no frigging way. It is an incredible device, but tbh "anyone" could do that when put into package that big.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
1. It is 14% slimmer than 8X, and the 920 is a behemoth. 14% may matter to some, but I doubt it will be a huge determining factor for most.
2. It is not aluminum. It is "Metallic CMF w/ Hair line finsih" (as per Samsung.com). This means it is a metal look plastic, not metal.
3. Expandable storage may be a big deal to some, but the success of the iPhone has shown that it is not a must have for the mass market so long as you provide at least 16 GB. I acknowledged this would matter to some, but maintain that to most people it won't matter.
4. It has the same screen as the Galaxy S III. We know lots about it. In my experience and conversations the general public is happy with anything around 4.3" and up. And there is a decent portion (around 1/3) who wouldn't want anything larger than 4.3", particularly in the over 35, non tech enthusiast crowed.
5. If Microsoft didn't let HTC use a different audio chip than what is on the S4, they didn't let Samsung either.

This phone is announced and the specs are available publicly. I don't understand why people are expecting some huge surprise from it.
I'm still taking the ATIV S over the 8X. The point of how the ATIV has 500mAh more in battery is the deal breaker for me especially. And 4.3 is too small for me now.

But if the 920 does come out for Verizon then I'm taking that instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria