Is there a real "app gap"?

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Why are you worried about instagram when 6tag is not only better in terms of functionality on WP but on iOS or Android? There are half a dozen FB apps. What's missing with them? Whatsapp will be brought back. You can pin any website to the start screen.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what you need on your phone. I know sometimes there's instances where I'm shopping, for example at Target, and the companion app that has coupons isn't available on my phone. But, more times than most, this situation rarely happens. And that's all depending on what I value for apps versus others.

So stand alone, no we aren't close to the competition, but depending on an individual's needs, we could fit it perfectly

Sent from my all seeing 1020

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I know there have been some posts about apps. But I also want to take the time ad say "Ecosystem lock-in". When you get a Windows Phone, the one thing that is annoying is that you have to go all in with Microsoft, with Android you can avoid Google if you want. I know that`s the end goal for people running Microsoft, but I prefer Androids approach where you have the choice to use Microsoft, Google, or even Amazon.

I don't necessarily agree with that but ok

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
There are some people who shouldn't even participate in these topics, on both sides. And then there's one individual who really just needs to reside off this forum.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to break this down to the most elementary of terms to try and alleviate any further confusion.

1. I've stated in my initial comment in this forum, that I agreed about there being an "app gap" in the sense of what and appication is supposed to provide. However since you can pretty much pin anything to you start screen, a feature you can't do with iPhones or Andriod, it pretty much mutes that argument because you and still access the mobile sites, or the actual websites with ease.

So that brings us to the biggest issue in my opinion and that's games. Now, again, I know those people that like trending games see this as a deal breaker and I've aknowledged that as well. My comments about the games was geared to those that didn't think WP had any good games. That was simply an incorrect statement.

Ultimately my closing comment was looking at the bigger picture which goes beyone trending games and fadish apps. It's about the staying power that WP has presented in the case of more and more iPhone and Andriod users switching. In the bigger picture this issue is holding less water, one because developers are starting to drop games for WP that are on iOS and Andriod, and at the same time, and even sooner in some instances, but the biggest reason is the overall experience which is dulling the "app gap" argument little by little, but dulling it nevertheless.

You can pin sites to IOS home screen

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I also think that at the end of the day, every forum member needs to remember that NONE of you all have any stake in these companies to be as emotional and consistently in these type of topics as the lot of you are. At the end of the day, are you happy with your purchase? If so, that's all that matters. Feedback is always welcomed, but armchair ceo'ing is SUCH a drone fest of the same ol'.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Why are you worried about instagram when 6tag is not only better in terms of functionality on WP but on iOS or Android? There are half a dozen FB apps. What's missing with them? Whatsapp will be brought back. You can pin any website to the start screen.

But there's still stuff like no navy federal app even though it's one of the largest credit unions in the country. And yes it can pinned but I can't take a picture of a check with the website. Almost all music studio apps are not available on WP and there's obvious popular apps missing like sound cloud, who sampled, rap genius etc.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I personally think it's not the app gap it's the updates. You see Twitter releasing an app and not updating it for ages. Whereas Android and iOS get updates every so often.
Company's think there's no demand for WP apps so they don't make them and just point you to a web based mobile optimized version. I'm moving over to WP very soon but pretty frustrated about the fact that apps can't be updated in line with Android and iOS offerings.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I personally think it's not the app gap it's the updates. You see Twitter releasing an app and not updating it for ages. Whereas Android and iOS get updates every so often.
Company's think there's no demand for WP apps so they don't make them and just point you to a web based mobile optimized version. I'm moving over to WP very soon but pretty frustrated about the fact that apps can't be updated in line with Android and iOS offerings.

That is one of the reasons I haven't moved over. I would beyond angry if I am paying hundreds of dollars on a smartphone and the apps I need are in poor quality, that defeats the purpose. I know apps are more wants and not needs, but for some apps I use I do need them for college. Like I used Evernote and Google Keep heavily during the past semester for notes. If either one of those apps were messed up, I would have been very upset, I type notes into both all the time.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
That is one of the reasons I haven't moved over. I would beyond angry if I am paying hundreds of dollars on a smartphone and the apps I need are in poor quality, that defeats the purpose. I know apps are more wants and not needs, but for some apps I use I do need them for college. Like I used Evernote and Google Keep heavily during the past semester for notes. If either one of those apps were messed up, I would have been very upset, I type notes into both all the time.

Yep that's right, I think the main few would be Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, (SnapChat), and even banking apps. They should be constantly updated as the majority use them and it's the only way to draw consumers.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yep that's right, I think the main few would be Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, (SnapChat), and even banking apps. They should be constantly updated as the majority use them and it's the only way to draw consumers.

That won't happen until wp market share atleast in high end is like that of Apple.nd in the low end I don't think wp can compete truly with android.oh there is that lumia 520 but still it didn't make wp market share 65% despite being a great value for money.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you not forced to use Microsoft services on WP?

I'm not forced to use outlook, or Xbox music, or Xbox video, etc. The only thing I'm forced to use is internet explorer, and like the competition, a Microsoft account to access the store.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not forced to use outlook, or Xbox music, or Xbox video, etc. The only thing I'm forced to use is internet explorer, and like the competition, a Microsoft account to access the store.

Which contrasts to Android I can disable the Play Store entirely and use another app store. That is what I meant. You can forgo Google entirely on Android as opposed to having to use something Microsoft on WP.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site

And you have to deal with Nokia making so many low budget phones that people with real power (1520) have to suffer with crappy versions of apps that they could easily power through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786