Is there any YouTube UWP app that doesn't suck?

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I am using a lot of YouTube apps on my Surface Book and I cannot say that I am happy with them. I have "Client for YouTube", MyTube, and Tubecast. All three apps have issues with playback:
  • Pausing a video and then resuming it will cause problems with audio in MyTube
  • Fast forwarding a video will almost always cause these apps to stop playback
  • 2160p support in Client for Youtube is missing
  • In general, playback is not as smooth with these apps as when visiting the YouTube website.
  • Streaming via DLNA in MyTube causes lots of stability issues and the app will freeze, or stop playback.

I really like MyTube and its features, but it is really bad in playing videos, which shouldn't be the case..

Anyone here with a good suggestion for a YouTube app that really works?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am using a lot of YouTube apps on my Surface Book and I cannot say that I am happy with them. I have "Client for YouTube", MyTube, and Tubecast. All three apps have issues with playback:
  • Pausing a video and then resuming it will cause problems with audio in MyTube
  • Fast forwarding a video will almost always cause these apps to stop playback
  • 2160p support in Client for Youtube is missing
  • In general, playback is not as smooth with these apps as when visiting the YouTube website.
  • Streaming via DLNA in MyTube causes lots of stability issues and the app will freeze, or stop playback.

I really like MyTube and its features, but it is really bad in playing videos, which shouldn't be the case..

Anyone here with a good suggestion for a YouTube app that really works?

I just downloaded the trial version of MyTube. Worked well on my SP4. I started and stopped the video several times without issue. It did stutter a bit when I tried to fast forward, but I imagine that's because its streaming and needs to catch up.
I don't know a lot about these types of apps though because I generally only play music I've downloaded to my device.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for answering. MyTube works well with videos at a 720p max resolution.
My Internet connection is fast (400Mbps) and I have no issues streaming 4K video, but with these apps it is really not working very well.
I have to exclude TubeCast though. Tubecast seems to work well. I have to test it more though,since I downloaded it some hours ago.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had good experiences on MyTube in the past, but that was on mobile. Assuming this is the same guy, I'll continue to recommend it.

EDIT: Alright, downloaded it again, trying it out. Seems pretty great even now. Kudos to developer.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for answering. MyTube works well with videos at a 720p max resolution.
My Internet connection is fast (400Mbps) and I have no issues streaming 4K video, but with these apps it is really not working very well.
I have to exclude TubeCast though. Tubecast seems to work well. I have to test it more though,since I downloaded it some hours ago.

Let us know how it goes.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Tubacast seems to be working great. No problems so far. I don't understand why client for YouTube and mytube suck so much when pausing or/and fast forwarding video though.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
mytube has great features, but playback is highly problematic. I have tried many times on my Surface Book and my wife's surface pro, but it is totally unreliable.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Lol, the thread title... Exaggerate much?

I can think of 5 YouTube apps that are really quite good. Just because they're not as capable in a few areas, doesn't mean they suck.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Client for youtube IMO is horible on mobile. On my Idol 4s it is too slow to use. No particular problems on desktop but maybe because I'm a creature of habbit I prefer the UI of tubecast better.

Tubecast isn't UWP but it works fine on mobile. However on insider preview/creators update (desktop) it has lots of problems basically you lose all of the menu items when you right click. I think the developer has lost interest.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
A YouTube app has one main feature: to playback video. This must work 100% of the time. It doesn't matter if other features or the design of an app is nice. If playback is not perfect, then the app has failed its main goal. I do not think I exaggerate. I have tested many apps and most of them are very bad in playing video.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
A YouTube app has one main feature: to playback video. This must work 100% of the time. It doesn't matter if other features or the design of an app is nice. If playback is not perfect, then the app has failed its main goal. I do not think I exaggerate. I have tested many apps and most of them are very bad in playing video.

but then even the browser on a pc isn't that good in playing videos from Youtube

Over the last week I've seen youtube videos struggle on anything higher than 720p, restart playing when coming out of full screen mode, a lot of waiting for videos to load - even though the connection speed is fast, the youtube page loading everything else on the page except for the video I want to watch etc

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
but then even the browser on a pc isn't that good in playing videos from Youtube

Over the last week I've seen youtube videos struggle on anything higher than 720p, restart playing when coming out of full screen mode, a lot of waiting for videos to load - even though the connection speed is fast, the youtube page loading everything else on the page except for the video I want to watch etc

Interesting. I have no issues whatsoever when using Edge or Chrome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad