Is there some way to get Outlook calendar (or any calendar on Windows) to ignore time zones?

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with my Outlook calendar. It moves appointments around when I travel.

I am in Tel Aviv at the moment and while it is true that my appointment in Zurich next week is technically at 18:30 Tel Aviv time, it is not helpful that the calendar does not show it as 17:30. I find it difficult to take into account the timezone of my current location when I look up whether I already have an appointment at a given time.

Is there some way (or an alternative to Outlook) where I can enter appointments with a fixed time so they won't move in time when I move around on the planet?

Lunch is at 12:00 regardless of where I am, and it has no timezone, it's always local time.

Any ideas?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with my Outlook calendar. It moves appointments around when I travel.

I am in Tel Aviv at the moment and while it is true that my appointment in Zurich next week is technically at 18:30 Tel Aviv time, it is not helpful that the calendar does not show it as 17:30. I find it difficult to take into account the timezone of my current location when I look up whether I already have an appointment at a given time.

Is there some way (or an alternative to Outlook) where I can enter appointments with a fixed time so they won't move in time when I move around on the planet?

Lunch is at 12:00 regardless of where I am, and it has no timezone, it's always local time.

Any ideas?

Is this useful to you?

https://theitbros.com/how-does-microsoft-outlook-convert-time-zones-for-meetings/

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a bit useful, although it makes things even more confusing. Following its advice I could add a second timezone to Outlook and now all events have two times, one here, one home.

It's especially weird for flights. I guess that it is normal for flights to have a different timezone for departure than for arrival. But Outlook doesn't know that. I have my flight back to Zurich and it shows up at the wrong time. Since the event gives both departure and arrival time as local time but Outlook only allows one timezone attached to the event, there is no way I can see the flight correctly in Outlook using any configuration.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
It's a bit useful, although it makes things even more confusing. Following its advice I could add a second timezone to Outlook and now all events have two times, one here, one home.

It's especially weird for flights. I guess that it is normal for flights to have a different timezone for departure than for arrival. But Outlook doesn't know that. I have my flight back to Zurich and it shows up at the wrong time. Since the event gives both departure and arrival time as local time but Outlook only allows one timezone attached to the event, there is no way I can see the flight correctly in Outlook using any configuration.

I think Outlook only allows for one timezone. Can't you alter the timezone of your computer and perhaps that also updates Outlook? I am not sure if it can be done automatically though.

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's how the problem started. I changed the time zone of my computer (Zurich -> Jerusalem) and all events moved around. As I said all my appointments in Zurich the next week were suddenly shown as if happening an hour earlier (makes it difficult to plan for the day) and my flight moved one hour as well (if I had entered it in Jerusalem time it would have made planning ahead difficult the other way around).

Ideally I just want an appoint at 12:00 to stay at 12:00.

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I found out that Mozilla Thunderbird can do it. It also shows the wrong time when in a different time zone but at least the appointments stay put.

It also comes with a mail client that can actually search.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)