Is this fixable?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello!

I'm having a mic problem in my Lumia 1520 (RM-937) (latest fast ring build installed).
When I'm on Whatsapp, people can only hear me on speakerphone. When not on speakerphone, very few people can hear me, and my voice isn't clear.

On a normal call through Phone app, speakerphone has always a significantly better result in terms of clearance in my voice.

I have no issue replacing any parts on the phone, but is it fixable?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I do believe it is fixable, but the main question would probably be "Is it worth it".

There have been a few threads about the mic on the 1520 on here and there are some Utube videos on how to do the repair, I suppose at the same time you could consider a new battery as at two years old it will probably be past it's best.

I bought a 950XL instead of replacing my battery and doing the mic repair, and haven't looked back, my 1520 is now with my old HTC HD2 in the "Drawer of honour".

Anthony199

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Well the thing is I broke my screen once and changed the screen by myself. It worked perfectly for many months, and I don't have any problem doing more repairs on the phone. I don't think changing my screen in the past has anything to do with the mic, however it's very probable.

Forgot to mention, I've tested the calls without any covers and cleaned all mics "well" with compressed air.

And honestly if I'm changing my phone, it's not going to be a Windows Phone unfortunately. I would still keep it tho. And this is why I prefer repairing it, because I don't want to force myself into buying an android.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Do a search, I think you will find it is the wires down by the mic, I have seen the repair video's, it's screen off, battery out, other bits and bobs to get to the wires, then replace and finally put it back together.

Your call on going to another OS, but as mentioned the 950XL is a fantastic replacement for the 1520 except it's actually better with continuum thrown in.

Anthony199

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
So are you saying it's the wires and not the digitizer and microphone?

Here are a few points that might help:
1) my back arrow light flickered in the past and now its off forever. WIndows and search keys are working fine.
2) i did a mic test with the app "hardware test" and the recorded audio is very clear.

People still tell me my voice is reallllly far when talking on the phone. Problem solved when on speakerphone.

Thanks again

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Not saying it is the problem but there have been a few threads on here about mic issues on the 1520 and that has been the accepted issue for most, maybe do a bit more research including searching on here before you commit to anything.

Anthony199

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Fixed it by putting a piece of paper under the metal piece that covers the bracket that gets power the the digitizer and mic! Back arrow glowing again and mic working perfectly fine during phone calls and without speakerphone.

Thanks for everyone who helped.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria