Is x86 the future of Windows Phone 9?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, so we are enjoying the fantastic Windows Phone 8... but what lies ahead?

Everything points to 100% unification of code between Windows desktop, tablet, console, and phone operating systems.

What is the easiest way to do that??? x86!

Obviously most desktops have x86 chips (Intel Haswell), most of the Windows tablets released Q3 2013 and later are x86 (Intel Atom Bay Trail), and XBOX One runs on x86 (AMD Jaguar).

So, what is left running on ARM?? Surface2, the Nokia Tablet, windows phone, and that's about it.

Intel has proven with the Lenovo K900 that they can design a cost-effective cellular SoC and that was built on the outdated clovertrail platform. With the advent of 14nm Cherry Trail/Willow Trail in 2H 2014, I believe Intel will have a serious ARM competitor on their hands, even for phones. So why would Microsoft not leverage this to make code unification much simpler for devs? Develop for x86 and you develop for everywhere - no need for dual x86/arm versions.

Just an opinion, but I believe we may see ARM fade away in future Windows Phone 9 products.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt dual x86/ARM versions are the hindrance to the adoption of Win RT/ARM for developers. Most apps does not require much special consideration for devs at all. The problem with WinRT is ppl expect it to run legacy x86 apps and it won't.

As for x86 phones, it is not a proven success yet. If anything, Android has x86 build since 4.0. You don't see many makers making x86 phones out there.

App developer typically don't write machine code. So, ARM or x86 makes very little difference. What Microsoft lacks today is the uniform API for phones and Win8. So, app deves today have to write apps completely differently between two platforms, not due to x86 vs ARM, but due to significant differences between Win8 API and WinPhone 8 API. That's where they need to unify, not at machine code level which is unnecessary.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just an opinion, but I believe we may see ARM fade away in future Windows Phone 9 products.

The problem you mention was solved long ago. These days, CPU specific code is usually written by compilers, not people, which is particularly true of apps. Even C++ code needs only to be written once. All you must do is press two buttons, once to compile for ARMv7 and once for x86. Presto... two versions of the same program for two different CPU architectures. For most apps not even that is necessary, as they aren't compiled until they are installed or run.

As foxbat said, the problems MS has are API related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit