It's time to force MS to take us seriously

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Never said desktops, just smartphones and tablets. Haven't quite made it to Mars yet, still working on breaking Earth's orbit.

Hmm..I read it in haste :p
I agree with your comment as long as tablets are concerned as MS has not made it big when it comes to tabs. However, its definitely not irrelevant in smartphones and that will be proved once Windows 10 for Phones and Desktops will be available. They wll have to think twice before they attempt to claim its irrelevancy ;-)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Hmm..I read it in haste :p
I agree with your comment as long as tablets are concerned as MS has not made it big when it comes to tabs. However, its definitely not irrelevant in smartphones and that will be proved once Windows 10 for Phones and Desktops will be available. They wll have to think twice before they attempt to claim its irrelevancy ;-)

Disagree about them being irrelevant in smartphones (just look at marketshare, app support from Microsoft themselves) and I don't think Windows 10 will make any difference. The OS likely wont drastically change and just gains a unified store and better integration with the PC but when both stores are comprised of mostly substandard apps its hard to see what difference W10 will really make. Not saying it wont be a good, solid OS (both desktop and mobile) but considering the current challenges WP has to sell to consumers I don't see how W10 changes anything.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They are working on Windows 10 right now and I'm sure a great new version of Office is going to come along with the phone version as well. It'll probably be a ton better than the IOS or Android version. I believe the Office for Windows Phone is currently part of the OS and can't be updated without an OS update, but I could be wrong.
That might be totally true, but by the time you see WP10 / W10 in your hands, you will see other advanced features released in Office on non WP phones .... and then we will wait for WP11 / W11 to have those on MS Phones!!

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
There is already Office for WP, and just like Music and Video apps, it sucks it is integrated in the OS. and it's FREE and it comes with every windows phone shipped today.

I hope you understand that, or try to understand and stop making thread that something that should be obvious by today.

Windows 10 IS going to merge Phone and Desktop, end. it will merge Store, APIs, and features and blabla.

do you understand what does that mean?

it's obvious Microsoft can't just make office a separated app today, because the point of Windows 10 is to have one app for every MS platform. so I am sure that includes office! why would they waste their time with WP office, if it will be removed and probably replaced by a better Windows 10 app? they already announced it it will be available for 2015.

and yes 2015 is still far away from today, but that's the problem Microsoft had by not merging sooner the OSs, of course it was a hard work and they are making it happen. and today we have an almost full featured office on ARM tablets, and a decent office for WP. but it works... but like I said, Win10 will change how things are today. they will probably do what they have done with some apps. that means, they would removed it from the OS and put it as separated apps, and update them often.

But they can't do that today, because sadly, the integrated into OS, doesn't work as Microsoft wishes because carriers and countries phone regulators block the updates and they can't be released the same day. yeah, my phone unlocked and unbranded still have to wait for my country to approve the updates.

But again, Windows 10 is the key Microsoft is going to pursuit, and nothing you complain today about, and people wish. will come true until Windows 10 is finished and we have it on our phones and tablets and desktop computers. do you think next office will be integrated with the OS? nah. it won't. but it will be a nice universal app that will be updated as it should today.

again, we already have office for WP for FREE, arm tablets for FREE, and intel/amd tablets and desktop, and web for free as well. so I don't know what you are complaining. yeah it sucks Office not being a separated app, doesn't let it to be updated. but that will change.

So explain me again, what are you complaining about? did you forget you have office on your phone? or you didn't get to read the articles about Windows 10 being on every platform and merging stuff. again, it's obvious by now, that those office touch apps announced for 2015 will be available as universal app for Desktop and Phone and tablets. but if you can't wait or can't understand, I am sure you can switch platform and be happy with office there, even if there is already office for WP from day one.

I don't know if you read the OP or you are just trying to be smart. This is not just about Office. I've been using WP since WP7 so I know we have Office. Everybody has high expectation for W10 but nobody knows what's on it so it's worthless to use it against current devices of the big two. "So explain me again, what are you complaining about? did you forget you have office on your phone?" this tell me you didn't read the OP or you are playing stupid. Isn't it true MS apps are better optimized in the other platform? So, WP is behind.

Do you understand what does that mean?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Disagree about them being irrelevant in smartphones (just look at marketshare, app support from Microsoft themselves) and I don't think Windows 10 will make any difference. The OS likely wont drastically change and just gains a unified store and better integration with the PC but when both stores are comprised of mostly substandard apps its hard to see what difference W10 will really make. Not saying it wont be a good, solid OS (both desktop and mobile) but considering the current challenges WP has to sell to consumers I don't see how W10 changes anything.

Marketshare will definitely be less as compared to Android or iOS as they are in the business right from the start, but you can't underestimate W10. I strongly believe WP marketshare will boom after integral launch of W10(both desktop/WP) and there is no chance of loss. More devlopers will be interested in developing apps for both ports and it will gain much attention than expected. Mark my words :)

Ricardo Dawkins

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Windows Phone will go to nowhere in the next couple of years. We have to grasp it. I just bought a Lumia 1520 on ebay just for the camera and the amazing battery life besides being one of the last NOKIA phone.

After this new phone breaks....I'm moving back to Android or accept reality and pick the iPhone 7 or iPhone 7s that will place everything from these OEMs in the dustbin.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Marketshare will definitely be less as compared to Android or iOS as they are in the business right from the start, but you can't underestimate W10. I strongly believe WP marketshare will boom after integral launch of W10(both desktop/WP) and there is no chance of loss. More devlopers will be interested in developing apps for both ports and it will gain much attention than expected. Mark my words :)

Thing is, devs can develop universal apps NOW so there's no real reason to wait for W10. Guess we will see, I'm looking forward to it but have my doubts of its effect on the smartphone side.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Did I say is not... did you read the OP. Is or isn't true that MS always updates and even release for the big two first?
Hard to tell sarcasm in an internet post, but I was joking to explain how Microsoft has left us in the dark when it comes to updating native apps for its own platform first.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Is the waiting and waiting ...... and waiting that gets into my gears. As right now I don't see anything that would make people to drop their current devices to jump to WP. The OS the best but as we know that's not enough, the app gap doesn't help and now we don't have anything we can say they don't have..

I completely understand that. That by itself doesn't make the wait unreasonable though. I wish it were different, but considering what MS is doing, that we must wait is at least somewhat reasonable... it's just also very unfortunate... for Windows, for WP, and for us.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
We're always the last because we're the tiniest userbase. Being a WP user implies understanding and accepting this fact. You'll be much happier if you do. That said, I expect great things by wp10/w10 with the Great Software Convergence.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Look I do not have any issues with MS going cross platform; if you know MS history you would known that is what make MS what it is today. But, one thing that is really getting into me is that MS is always leaving us behind. It is totally understandable they are releasing apps for Android and Apple's ecosystem, hey that is where the people are; well the majority. They are running a business and they need to answer to its investors. But one thing I don't get is why WP is always left behind. This a repeat it question but here it goes again: If MS doesn't develop and/or update WP first why would any other developer/s?

It is time for us to stand up and force MS hand. Let's give Joe Belford the ride of his life and take on Twitter.

Forgot to post the pic:View attachment 86734
Office 365 Personal or Office 2013 Home and Student ship for free with every tablet and hybrid sold in the Microsoft Store (and by extension most of those mainstream machines available) with less than an i series processor. In other words any touch device in the Windows world running less than a full desktop/laptop equivalent processor ships with something far more robust than anything announced today unless an OEM chooses to not load it. The version in WP8 in contrast is certainly limited but if you bother to look at the version for Android phones you will see they are pretty much equivalent with the exception of PowerPoint which is really a viewer, and the version of Office for Android tablets (announced today) is only a preview version. The version embedded in WP8 is also embedded in an OS that is being replaced in the not too distant future and it, therefore, makes no sense to see it updated. It might not seem fair but it is business.

If people want to embrace a personal Don Quixote complex go right ahead but if anyone thinks they can force Microsoft's hand at anything you are bound to be disappointed. Do you really think a few twitter comments will suddenly change things? The only power you really have is to buy an Android phone or iPhone, at which point take a guess as to what you will probably use to work on Office documents. Beyond any of that, you will get an updated version of Office for WP with Windows Phone 10 (or whatever they choose to call it); a touch version of Office for Windows tablets will be available in a few months to go with Windows 10; and the next full (paid) version of Office for Windows is already entering its preview (public beta) phase. Personally I view the entire subject to be much ado about nothing.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
We're always the last because we're the tiniest userbase. Being a WP user implies understanding and accepting this fact. You'll be much happier if you do. That said, I expect great things by wp10/w10 with the Great Software Convergence.
I respectfully disagree, why? Because, WP is MS own child and they aren't feeding it right. A least have the decency to release updates at the same time and/or if you won't update our side explain why.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Office 365 Personal or Office 2013 Home and Student ship for free with every tablet and hybrid sold in the Microsoft Store (and by extension most of those mainstream machines available) with less than an i series processor. In other words any touch device in the Windows world running less than a full desktop/laptop equivalent processor ships with something far more robust than anything announced today unless an OEM chooses to not load it. The version in WP8 in contrast is certainly limited but if you bother to look at the version for Android phones you will see they are pretty much equivalent with the exception of PowerPoint which is really a viewer, and the version of Office for Android tablets (announced today) is only a preview version. The version embedded in WP8 is also embedded in an OS that is being replaced in the not too distant future and it, therefore, makes no sense to see it updated. It might not seem fair but it is business.

If people want to embrace a personal Don Quixote complex go right ahead but if anyone thinks they can force Microsoft's hand at anything you are bound to be disappointed. Do you really think a few twitter comments will suddenly change things? The only power you really have is to buy an Android phone or iPhone, at which point take a guess as to what you will probably use to work on Office documents. Beyond any of that, you will get an updated version of Office for WP with Windows Phone 10 (or whatever they choose to call it); a touch version of Office for Windows tablets will be available in a few months to go with Windows 10; and the next full (paid) version of Office for Windows is already entering its preview (public beta) phase. Personally I view the entire subject to be much ado about nothing.

First let me prove you wrong: Microsoft says UI changes are coming in the next OneDrive Windows Phone update | Windows Central

Second: Complaints or feedback whatever you want to called it is what make a company pay attention. The buzz about W8 was overloaded by a few and MS listened. I am not going to support the competition as long as I am using WP and when I can try to make MS listen to us. Are they listening many would say yes and others not but if we stay quite then I wouldn't make any reason to own a WP in the first place. I want my platform to big as better or better than the rest and if I see they are getting better in some areas especially coming from MS I will shout out.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It is time for us to stand up and force MS hand. Let's give Joe Belford the ride of his life and take on Twitter.

Forgot to post the pic:View attachment 86734
That tweet would have been a valid complaint if "better featured" or "fully featured" would have been the first two words in that tweet (if character limit allowed it). WP has always had Office. The complaint should be the quality or features between the two different platforms of Office. If anyone who didn't know any better reads that tweet is going to think WP doesn't have Office at all. And if I were Joe and read that tweet, I would think the author of the tweet doesn't know what he's talking about. Phone sales dopes already do enough damage spreading false truths about WP, we shouldn't help them out. When tweeting MS staff, especially executives, it should be important to get the facts correct. If we're lucky enough for execs to actually pay attention to the tweet (or email or facebook post) it's going to be for about 3 seconds.

Just my $.02

But agree that in any regard, WP should be included in those updates/improvements at the same time as iOS/Android. The reason they don’t is because they see users of iOS and Android as customers. The fact that those customers are using a competing platform is a distant second. It’s smart business considering the market share. I don’t like it either but I totally understand.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
That tweet would have been a valid complaint if "better featured" or "fully featured" would have been the first two words in that tweet (if character limit allowed it). WP has always had Office. The complaint should be the quality or features between the two different platforms of Office. If anyone who didn't know any better reads that tweet is going to think WP doesn't have Office at all. And if I were Joe and read that tweet, I would think the author of the tweet doesn't know what he's talking about. Phone sales dopes already do enough damage spreading false truths about WP, we shouldn't help them out. When tweeting MS staff, especially executives, it should be important to get the facts correct. If we're lucky enough for execs to actually pay attention to the tweet (or email or facebook post) it's going to be for about 3 seconds.

Just my $.02

But agree that in any regard, WP should be included in those updates/improvements at the same time as iOS/Android. The reason they don?t is because they see users of iOS and Android as customers. The fact that those customers are using a competing platform is a distant second. It?s smart business considering the market share. I don?t like it either but I totally understand.
Why bother? WP is fun to use, no need to pretend its anything other than a side project to MS. Until it takes off, it'll always be a side project.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
A least have the decency to release updates at the same time and/or if you won't update our side explain why.

Android & iOS > Windows Phone.
I respectfully disagree, why? Because, WP is MS own child and they aren't feeding it right. A least have the decency to release updates at the same time and/or if you won't update our side explain why.

Microsoft is a software and services company, they will look for the best way to gain profit/market share or user satisfaction. They will always give more effort to the largest customer base. It will eventually come to Windows.

(Although I agree that there should be some sort of differentiation on Windows.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb