Jason Ward uses Windows phone (for now) and asks why do you?

Peter Rokeby

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
When I leave the house I still take a Lumia 650 (even have a spare) but around the house I usually default to an Android device. I actually like the Groove app and Maps is very helpful as I use the desktop version to discover places and pin them, making them easy to find. I prefer not to use Google services or products whenever possible. Soon I may no longer need a phone so won't really care what Microsoft does in the mobile sphere. And the News app on Android is brutal now that Redmond has decided to try to force people to Edge. I still use it because it crashes regularly giving me ample opportunity to provide feedback.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Still like my Lumia 950 XL. To be honest, I had an Android phone before that phone was released, and I never ended up using apps. I use my phone for calling, streaming music (in the car, but owning a Honda, running Android, I see people managing to unlock it and install Android apps), GPS, SMS and taking pictures. Windows 10 Mobile still delivers that. And with Cortana in the car, with it reading received SMS and sending them, it has everything I need.

Edge is there complimenting anything else on the go, but really, anything related to banking, productivity, I just use a PC. To be using a phone, even to watch a video (beside showing to people an image or video) is frustrating, I'll just pop-up my Surface Pro 3 or use my desktop.

That said, what i would be interested in a Microsoft Android phone (with Microsoft Launcher), assuming it has an excellent camera and headphone jack. Why? Well, I know that the update system would be powered by Microsoft Update servers, and that carriers can't block updates (as they are delivered via MS servers like the PC, and not the carrier, and that the manufacture, Microsoft, will actually support the device) (plus it will probably have Windows Hello, which will actual be safe and secure, and not rushed to the item check a list, and not actually secure. Apple is the only other that I know off that is doing an equal great job.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I still use my 950XL, and also occasionally my ancient 930. I simply cannot and will not digest Bugdroid. When these phones die on me i will have to move to iOS, because it is the only possible move for me. The 950xl is showing it's first signs of terminal illness, meaning i now have to charge it at least once a day and in the night. Also the camera is a goner since AU, but since i really don't need it, i can live with it.

I was hoping for Andromeda but it seems Microsoft isn't committed to anything anymore. Sad sad days have come.

tsax6010

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Still rocking a 950XL. My wife is on her second 950 after the camera focus went haywire on her original. The battery life on my aging XL is not great, but with Qi wireless charging it is acceptable.

I am a Lead Systems Engineer for a large Enterprise. I specialize in Microsoft platforms and products, from datacenter to vast distributed infrastructure, to client systems. My company is also primarily a Google shop for email and collaboration. I have yet to find where my choice to use (and now holding on to with a death grip) Windows Phone/Mobile has held me back from being productive. I was even conducting a PoC of the Elite X3 for foreign travel users before MS pulled the rug out from under HP (my HP rep did not pull any punches in letting us know that HP was completely caught off guard, and a lot of people were more than pissed at the situation internally).

My team has multiple embedded platforms under its purview as well, including iOS and Android. From an enterprise perspective, iOS is damn near unmanageable, presenting too many limitations and lack of customization. Android in its OEM supplier form (say, from Symbol) with no Google Play services has been very stable and customizable. MS threw the embedded market out the window when they EOL'd CE 6.x with no direct replacement. I know from Motorola (before the Symbol acquisition) was working on WP 7/7.5 as the go-forward OS until MS once again burned an OEM bridge and pivoted their 1 OS strategy. Only now is W10 Iot Embedded starting to replace the venerable CE, but many OEMs have been burnt. Only Panasonic has come in to demo embedded hardware running Windows.

I cannot stand Google as a company. If you think they are evil in the consumer space, they are just as bad in the enterprise. I refuse to give them any money out of my pocket. With the exception of YouTube (as there is no direct alternative) I use zero other consumer services from them.

Apple I cannot stand their products.

Having been though all flavors of Windows Mobile CE, Windows phone (7, 7.5, 7.8, 8, 8.1, 10), Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Band, Band 2, Groove, Zune, Surface Pro, HK Invoke, and on and on and on.... I have been kicked in the balls a lot by MS. I have no doubt that I have more faith in their consumer offerings than they do.

I choose Microsoft. I just wish Microsoft would choose me as a consumer.

Mr_Kroniks

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 650 in August 2016 and switch to Nokia 1 in June 2018, but I still use a device from Microsoft in some cases. I really love it, but the more updates it recieves the less useable it becomes (Store now is very laggy e.g.). Also it hasn't some apps I really need, so I decided to switch to Android and use Lumia 650 just becouse I'm curious in what will it turn.

So sad Microsoft killed such a great phone...

RockieWP

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It still works, and Andromeda isn't out yet. I hope when it comes it supports physical sim cards as networks in my country don't support esims yet. If not, my current 650 will be my last Windows phone.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping for Andromeda but it seems Microsoft isn't committed to anything anymore. Sad sad days have come.
I hope you are wrong. The reason why I have hope is that the Surface Hub 2 is also delayed due to Andromeda. And the Surface Hub was actually selling like hot cake. We have the big one at work, and everyone at the office (which predominantly Linux developers) are seriously impressed by it. So, that says a lot right there. So I doubt it will be discontinued.

The big issue with the "Surface Phone" is, I think, cost. This is supported, at least for me, with the fact that Samsung already mentioned that they are working on a dual screen model "coming in the future", and to expect double the price of a premium phone. So $1.5k-2k. The experience, and hardware features must be compelling. Slapping the Lumia 950 camera, while still competitive today, is not enough, it has to deliver a lot of value to the consumer, and carriers must be conformable carrying it to deliver a special subsidized set of plans for the device. It's like the HoloLens, tech-wise ground breaking, but the software and acceptable price-point for the returned value needs to be delivered.

Microsoft made the mistake with the Lumia 950 series, where you had a lot of excitement in the air, but the rushed released, leads reviewers trash it due to bugs (which I don't blame them,it was indeed buggy with in your face bugs like Settings app crashing on the basic popular options), and the camera stuck on auto-focusing and more. Those were quickly fixed of course, but the harm was done.

So they need to make it right, and faster CPUs is a a welcome addition to ensure a great experience, especially if they plan to allow in some mode x86 app support. I am sure the 950 will deliver great performance, but probably still not enough, and it might need the Snapdragon 1000, or some variation of.

Mojtaba Armstrong

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site

Why Windows phone?
I've always loved the idea of having a PC in my pocket, and the evolution of Windows on phone, from Windows Mobile, to Windows Phone to Windows 10 Mobile has embodied that for me to varying degrees over the years.

Beginning in 2006 with the Cingular 2125 running Windows Mobile 5.0 (my first smartphone), my Windows phone journey has ridden the spectacular crests and frustrating valleys that have defined the platform. In fact, what may surprise many who follow my work is that Iinitially rejected Windows Phone 7 as an oversimplified UI and a backward step to Windows Mobile, the powerful, flexible and open mobile OS I loved.

Windows on phone, with its unique approach, is now a fading shadow of what it could've been. Still, Microsoft's enduring Windows on mobile strategy,via the rumored Andromeda device reflects the inspiring ambition Microsoft's previous mobile efforts (though poorly executed) exhibited. Will, the synergy of Windows 10 on a folding pocketable device be a winner? I don't know. Will the device even launch? Microsoft could scrap it. Still, Microsoft's pursuit of a vision to put real PC power in our pockets, via context conforming hardware and software on a device coupled with telephony is inspiring.

So as I contemplate my next move, Microsoft's Andromeda device which will likely be too expensive, or an Android phone, I'm enjoying what inspired me years ago, the Live Tile life, on my Lumia's 950 XL(personal) and 1020 (business)!:cool:

So what inspired you to embrace Windows phone and why are you still holding on?

Yes, because I haven't found any other affordable option than my old NOKIA phone :love: (Look at this lovely emojis from WP 8 :excited: )

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm still rockin the Lumia 950 why because its actually a nice handset and it takes great pictures, I like the secure non intrusive OS.
So I'm patiently waiting for Andromeda and hopefully I wont have to switch (Android is too open and iPhone is too closed).

I've love the OS, the camera and the choice of an alternative to Android and iPhone (sigh).

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Not generally - I stopped using it when phone calls and texts became unreliable. Although that was partly AT&T changing service around here and making me have poor coverage - I needed Wi-Fi calling and my 950XL would not do that.

However for some kids events where I want a video, I take my 950XL along as it is still a superior camera.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree. The MS band was great too, they just needed to make a replaceable strap and for it to charge from the body of the device.

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the app suggestions.
Getting Sense Clock now. I'll check out the other later.
Thank you for your commitment to the Windows mobile community.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I started out with a N925 and then purchased a used N1520 from WC Marketplace. I loved it SO much I purchased a second one. I don't really use any apps that aren't the built-in apps, so I've never felt my Windows phone was unable to do whatever I want/need.

I've used an iPhone (forced to at a job) and it was okay, but there's no WAY its user interface is even CLOSE to as awesome as the Windows one. I've played around a bit with Android, but again, I just still prefer the Windows OS on my phones. I just don't use my phones as a stand-alone computer. I have a desktop for that, and I actually enjoy NOT having an always-connected device in my pocket. I leave my phone at home unless I'm traveling and need to use the GPS. I don't want to be always in contact with people. I treasure having time alone with my thoughts and just NOT being connected all the time, but that's just me.

So, I will be keeping both my N1520's and my N925 until they just don't function at all anymore. :)

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Why Windows phone? ...
So what inspired you to embrace Windows phone and why are you still holding on?

It is still the best mobile OS for me and my company. All of my employees and family members use Windows 10 mobile devices (Lumia 950s or 950XLs, some are dual SIM). The integration between our devices (PC and mobile), calendars, OneDrive, Office, are very useful, and the Live Tiles make my screen much more informative, I only open apps when they tell me that there is useful information waiting. Continuum has been a nice teaser (has reduced the need to carry my laptop when traveling), and once we get full win32 support on our next generation Win10 on ARM devices, it will revolutionize mobile business.

darais99

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I still use a HP elite x3 as my daily driver I going to go back to a 950xl, but I think I am the last person to be using a windows phone , I am going to be sad when I have to let it go. don't know what I will go with ios or android , I feel so lost.

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Still rocking my Lumia 950XL.
I hate Apple's walled garden and their ability to bilk their customers.

I loathe Google's use of my data.

I will never use either of those devices. If I have to go Tizen or some dumb phone option, so be it. I'd rather tether a PC to a dumb phone than ever use Android or iOS.

If one of these always connected cellular PCs could make phone calls over conventional radio bands, I wouldn't think twice about dumping my 'phone'.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using my Elite X3. I don't use or need a bunch of apps, so for now it does what I need it to do. As long as Fitbit, Enpass and Untappd are available, I'm good to go. I just love the look and feel of the OS. Using and management is simple and I love the customization. I plan on keep using the phone until it dies or until Andromeda, assuming it wont be too expensive.

Besides my X3 I've been using an old Samsung S3 just on Wi-Fi in order to use the Weight Watchers app. I've added Microsoft Launcher and tried to make the phone less Androidy as possible but it still sucks. Managing Android is a nightmare as there are many apps you can't delete, only disable, and you can barely customize the phone.

I hope Microsoft gives us an affordable mobile device before I'm forced to plunge into Android hell completely.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the 950 and 950XL DO support WiFi calling. It is the app developers who do not support it with related apps for the carriers.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I switched last week, so I know I'm not the main audience for this question, but retroactively, I can say the reasons I was drawn to Windows Phone after BlackBerry 10 died:

- Live tiles are still a great idea, far superior to the grid of icons.
- Continuum and the potential to use my HP Elite x3 like a desktop, even if that never quite materialized for me.
- Universal apps like my podcast app conveniently syncing across devices, with one purchase for all devices.
- Almost everything else I use is in the Microsoft ecosystem: Outlook.com personal accounts, Office365 accounts including working with SharePoint, Xbox, a few PCs, OneDrive, etc. If Microsoft has a strong contender in a product category, I pretty much always like Microsoft's the best. Plus it's just easy to have one account for everything. At the time it seemed like WP would be my best option if I wanted optimal access to all of this other MS stuff.
- I generally view a phone primarily as a communication and productivity tool, which aligned more with MS than Google and Apple's consumer-first mindset.
- I trust Microsoft's business model more than Google's, since MS doesn't depend on selling my information for data.

And why I finally gave in last week for the BlackBerry Key2:
- I know my Elite x3 won't get security updates past October, so that was my deadline one way or another. It just sped up the timeline when the Key2 got my attention instead of waiting for a Pixel 3.
- I was getting more and more cases of apps, including from Microsoft like Planner, that I wanted for work which I couldn't use. Considering that was a big selling point for me to get it in the first place, that was hugely frustrating each time. Smart home apps were also an issue, where I had to grab my wife's Android every time I wanted to change something on the Harmony remote or the Hue lights. My Libby app for getting audiobooks from the library may have been the final straw, though, as it started warning me every time I opened it that Windows 10 is dead and this app isn't supported anymore.

I might still leave the Elite x3 on the dock hooked up to an old monitor. It can still do some things in a pinch, but I don't know how often that pinch would be given we have a desktop and a laptop. Or maybe as a speaker for podcasts while I am doing work around the house - it's not as loud as the Key2 but is clearer at the high end - but again, I probably won't bother.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte