Jumped to the Galaxy Nexus from WP7

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had a Focus on AT&T for almost a year and loved it. I wish the same could be said for AT&T's service. I went back to Verizon. I considered going to the Trophy, but they didn't have it on display, only had one in the back and were offering double data for LTE devices. So my only choice for LTE was Android.

I have to say... Ice Cream Sandwich is pretty cool. I like the notification system. App support and quality is way better than WP7.

That being said I feel I took a lot of steps backwards going to Android. The interface isn't consistent. Every app seems to have it's own theme and style. There's a dedicated multitasking button, but I like how holding the back button worked. Music apps are annoying in Android. There's no universal music player... you have to go into the app to pause the music. Every app is different.

If anyone has any questions let me know. I'll probably be going back to WP7 once Verizon has a LTE device. I may hold out until Windows Phone 8 though.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I got a question about the device. Do you feel that the camera is lacking in any way? I know is a 5MP only but I read it takes pictures blazing fast.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I got a question about the device. Do you feel that the camera is lacking in any way? I know is a 5MP only but I read it takes pictures blazing fast.

I have the nexus and a trophy and think the nexus takes good pictures. Not as good as iPhone but pretty good for a cell phone camera.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
same reason why i left wp7, regretfully.. i was with tmobile then sprint and couldnt take the poor service... verizon costs more but it is no doubt the best, especially where i live. so i had to choose between the trophy and the iphone, it was a no brainer... i love wp7 but the trophy is a sub par phone... i will say this, as soon as verizon gets the nokia 900, i will be back!!! couldnt go back to android if someone paid me.... =(

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I like Samsung's cameras. The colors are vibrant and the detail is good. 5MP is more than enough for me. My only complaint and I don't know what causes it... sometimes light sources get a haze or lense flair blur around them.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That's kind of weak. Oh man, I bet ICS has great voice recognition.

Any cool things you would like from ICS to Windows Phone? I saw a commercial and there was that group thingy ( Circles I think ). Is it any different from making groups in WP7?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
ICS voice recognition is awesome. It's a little more advanced than other mobile OSes. Any text field has voice transcription support. It will translate what you say word by word too. I also use it a lot for navigation. I'm able to say "navigate to CVS on fire road" and it'll put my in Google Navigations with directions.

I haven't messed with Circles too much, but it seems like a lesser version of Groups. The OS doesn't have native Facebook support at the moment so it's only good with G+ and Twitter. The layout is similar between Circles and WP7 groups.

The one feature I wish would come over is... when you hold the power button you're given an option to put the phone is silent mode, airplane mode or turn it off. I also like how the phone vibrates every time you.press a key.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well silent mode is super easy in WP7. Just power/windows button, volume and press the icon. Unless silent mode is another thing.

Voice recognition is indeed awesome, too bad is worthless for me since I have a very tick accent and I'm have speech problems.

How is the integration with Microsoft stuff? like office,hotmail,skydrive and others?

whoswhoo

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had broke my Incredible around August and wanted to give WP7 a try so I bought one off contract. I really liked the OS, the hardware was just OK. So I was really craving the next big WP7 all sorts of hype around Nokia releasing something around November-December lots of excitement. and nothing came to Verizon. So I was like well thats sucky. Then the Nexus was coming around. I got excited, I liked the hardware that was coming to the table and a "pure" Nexus device would have been nice.

However, the whole time I had the Nexus I felt like I just wanted to use my old Trophy again. 14 days later I returned it. Now that the tech lust for the Nexus is gone I am again completely happy with my Trophy and am really excited again for a Nokia 900 or HTC Titan 2. IF they ever make it to Verizon... I may finally nut up and change carriers. my 2 cents. The Nexus was good not great like the tech sites said. Android 4.0 is better than previous iterations but also not that great. I just kind of spouted this off I apologize for my poor sentence structuring and use of grammar.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

Nothing wrong with your sentence structuring or grammar at all.

We got your message, you prefer Windows Phone, and why not ? :D

Oh, and welcome along to WPCentral whoswhoo. :)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry about your grammar, English is not my first language and I'm Dyslectic(sp?) yet people understand what I write. ( I hope)

Yeah I think about getting an iphone at least once a week but I don't know man, WP7 OS is like an extension of my own hand.

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of sentences and grammar,I think I'll be on top of the list! :D
galaxy nexus!it's running ics in a pure google way,nothing stupid by sammy!
To be honest,I'm not sure to get a titan or this one,or galaxy note(just because of it's bigger screen and various video file format support),but the thing is i hate samsung(i'm not an android fan either) and wp isn't going to let me go!
So,help me! lol

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of sentences and grammar,I think I'll be on top of the list! :D
galaxy nexus!it's running ics in a pure google way,nothing stupid by sammy!
To be honest,I'm not sure to get a titan or this one,or galaxy note(just because of it's bigger screen and various video file format support),but the thing is i hate samsung(i'm not an android fan either) and wp isn't going to let me go!
So,help me! lol

Way for Samsung's first LTE Windows Phone. He.ck if you are lucky it might even be a Windows version of the Galaxy Note.

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Way for Samsung's first LTE Windows Phone. He.ck if you are lucky it might even be a Windows version of the Galaxy Note.
Well,there's not gonna be lte here,let's say 'til the next decade!
But It will support gsm.when are they going to announce It?
There's sth that i'm a little concerned about it:if it's gonna be a WP7 version of galaxy note,it will have the 480*800 which wouldn't be good,and if it's running Windows 8,i can't wait 6 month (maybe more!) for it to come out!!
Thanks for the tip anyway.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I had broke my Incredible around August and wanted to give WP7 a try so I bought one off contract. I really liked the OS, the hardware was just OK. So I was really craving the next big WP7 all sorts of hype around Nokia releasing something around November-December lots of excitement. and nothing came to Verizon. So I was like well thats sucky. Then the Nexus was coming around. I got excited, I liked the hardware that was coming to the table and a "pure" Nexus device would have been nice.

However, the whole time I had the Nexus I felt like I just wanted to use my old Trophy again. 14 days later I returned it. Now that the tech lust for the Nexus is gone I am again completely happy with my Trophy and am really excited again for a Nokia 900 or HTC Titan 2. IF they ever make it to Verizon... I may finally nut up and change carriers. my 2 cents. The Nexus was good not great like the tech sites said. Android 4.0 is better than previous iterations but also not that great. I just kind of spouted this off I apologize for my poor sentence structuring and use of grammar.
That's how I feel too. The Galaxy Nexus is a great phone. It's powerful and can do anything, but it's not the right phone for me. I put out a wanted ad for a cheap HTC Trophy locally. It seems like nobody is selling one.

I'm still holding out hope that Verizon will announce more WP7 phones at Mobile World Congress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss